Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what people are running on '05-'06 Trucks?

Ours ran a 14.43 at 99.1 MPH so far stock. (6-speed)

·
Registered
330 Posts
PSI,
I think the factory was getting high-13's at over 100 under ideal conditions. Where did you run and under what conditions? Were there traction issues with the 6-speed?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We ran at Orlando Speed World last night, It spins about 10-15 feet then bogs, I think gears would help ALOT since I went through the traps at 99MPH in 3rd gear.

It was about 70deg, with pretty low humidity.

Anyone have any personal best ET's while stock or modified?

What's the best SSR ET so far?

·
Registered
330 Posts
By looking at your paper plates, are we to assume this is a brand new vehicle and not yet broken-in? Those numbers may be better after a few more miles.

Are you planning any modifications? If so, it will be interesting to see how they affect ET's as you progress.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
PSIRacing: The best that Chevy or anyone else can do, abusing the vehicle by powershifting and who knows what other techniques, is very high 12s (lkike 13.90 or 13.99) at 100 mph. It's pretty hard to be consistent with the 6-speed unless you do it a LOT. A lot of the magazine road testers were in the 14s, despite their experience.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
The March issue of "Truckin" mag has a test of the 06 with A4. The test was done in september 05 in So. Cal (at fontana). 14.88 @95.75. Sorry no link. Same day they also ran the SRT8 Jeep - 13.81 @ 100.93

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Ross: that 95.75 mph terminal velovity is way too low, and would NOT normally be affected by driver technique. Even if the driver technique is poor, and the time is bad as a result, the terminal speed is not normally reduced. There was something very wrong with that particular SSR.

They should run about 100 mph in the quarter.

The 03 / 04 ones should hit 89 to 90 mph in the quarter.

Jim G

·
Registered
192 Posts
[email protected] (on a Mustang Dyno)

I had my stock '05 six speed Dyno'd last year. 350 [email protected] and 341LB [email protected] with just an open exhaust behind the stock headers and cats. I was told by the Dyno operator that running on the 91 Octane here in So Calif with these LS2's that they pull timing back after a pull or two. Anyway, after a couple of pulls on the Mustang dyno, we used the Quarter Mile Sprint mode. Only made one run and had a very poor reaction time of .65, so I know the 14.0 can be bettered very easily with a little practice with the light.

330 ft 6.02 sec 63.0 mph
660 9.16 80.5
1000 11.80 93.9
Reaction time .65
1/4 mile 14.02 102.66

This was an actual run on the dyno, but on rollers instead of asphalt. I am told by the dyno operator, who is a racer, that the sprint mode on the dyno is very accurate. The stock tall gearing sure shows up when trying to test SSR's, as you only get to use just a little of 4th gear in the Qtr. Even with a 4.56 gear I dont think you could reach peak HP in the Qtr in 4th gear. 4.56's with Slicks on a 15 inch wheel maybe the trick to decent Qtr mile times for a stocker, stick 05/06. Of course remember your launching 4800 pounds or so and you need goobs of HP to put these babies into the thrill zone of 12's, like about 5lbs of boost worth.

Doug

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Pushrods4ever: What the dyno operator told you about accuracy versus an actual drag run is NOT true. Some dyno operators play this game, and even run "simulated drag race days", but there are variables at work on a dyno, related to inertia, that make such a run an interesting diversion at best. If your SSR really made 350 rwhp at 6300 rpm, it would run quicker than 14.0 in real life - at least if you are willing to abuse the drivetrain (I'm not).

The reaction time has no impact on the elapsed times. In real life, it would have an impact on whether or not you beat a competitor in non-bracket racing only because if you start very late (like 0.65 second reaction time!), he gets to the finish line physically sooner even if you cover the distance quicker. But the timing lights don't care how long you take to react; the times between the measuring points are the same regardless.

To reassure you, my own modified 04SSR with Z06 cam and dual exhaust beats ALL the times you posted for your supposedly 350 rwhp engine, even using a non-drag type start, but MY dyno operators (TWO of them) say it makes "only" 330 rwhp - but then I run 4.56 gearing!

I'm more concerned about why the torque peak is at such a low rpm (4140) compared to that high horsepower peak rpm (6300). This does not compute.

If you send me your dyno curve, I'll analyze it for you AFTER my move (moving in a few days), and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Jim G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts