Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my ssr is an 2004 ssr.. 100 octane is great. should i use it all the time ? thanks. 93 octane from gas station then i added a bottle of octane booster to raise it 7 more points to 100...

·
Clogger fan
36,695 Posts
My .02 is use what the manufacturer says to use.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Higher octane fuels are not "better" or give "more power" They are just different...higher octane delays detonation.

·
SSR Enthusiast
1,491 Posts
my ssr is an 2004 ssr.. 100 octane is great. should i use it all the time ? thanks. 93 octane from gas station then i added a bottle of octane booster to raise it 7 more points to 100...
04SSR1,
The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you should use.
A "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel.

That said, unless you have performed some specific engine mods the 5.3 really doesn't need the higher octane. The idea/feel of improvement from the octane booster could be that it is compensating for something else such as timing, plugs, or it may have cleaned up the system but I would not want to use it regularly.

Since you don't mind spending the money at the pump at each fill up; let's consider using the money for some real improvement. Find a recommended "Tuner" in your area. There is a noticeable difference to be gained verses the factory tune.

·
Premium Member
35,819 Posts
wasting your money. :willy:

·
Two Tone Owner
2,657 Posts
The original owner of my 03 R always used Hi Test (premium 91 octane gas).
I read in this forum that it would fine on regular 87 octane gas.
I switched about 3 years ago and didn't notice any difference. :yellow:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I only run 93 octane and a brand name octane "boost" on long trips. By using the higher octane (which translates to a slower fuel burn) + the boost (also contributing to slower burn) and effective speed management (cruise control) I can usually acheive longer range and better MPG. For daily local driving I used a branded 87 octane.
Remember- our trucks have a 25 gallon tank- most boosts are for smaller tanks- up to about 18/20 gallons. So putting a bottle of boost that claims raising it to 100 octane into a 25 gallon tank probably dilutes it down to about 97/98- if it really raises it that high

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,433 Posts
So using racing fuel in Ilsa (supercharged 5.3) won't help her get a lower ET at the track? I've always wondered about that.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
It's your money if you feel like it helps more power to you.(no pun intended) Many people still change their oil every 3K and if they didn't it would drive them crazy. And some guys keep a new wife for no more than 5 years, so...

·
Registered
54 Posts
So using racing fuel in Ilsa (supercharged 5.3) won't help her get a lower ET at the track? I've always wondered about that.
My ssr is curently bone stock, however I have had 2 cars with 6-71 GMC Blowers. that being said it all comes down to what has been said before "compresion" That you need to remimber is that as your blower runs faster it increases the static presure efecting your compesion thats where your power comes from. for normal daily driving you would probably be fine with 87/89 octain (depending on your boost) however if your going to the track and winding it out to full boost you will be better off with a higher octaine. Once again depending on what your boost is. most out of the box bolt on set ups for the street are fairly low boost however if you have changed your pully to increase your boost this will make a diferance as well. sorry for draging this out hope i didnt bore you.

·
Registered
2005 SSR
10 Posts
Can a mixture of say 1/2, tank of 89 and the other 1/2 with 93
be beneficial....
Is the 6 liter LS2.motor subject to stalling at lower rpm than higher..
Thank you for any and all feedback
Kenny Cruise

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Can a mixture of say 1/2, tank of 89 and the other 1/2 with 93
be beneficial....
Is the 6 liter LS2.motor subject to stalling at lower rpm than higher..
Thank you for any and all feedback
Kenny Cruise
Hi Kenny. Just so you know, this thread is almost 7 years old. You can always start a new thread if you have a question.
But to answer your question, here's what I know...
a stock 5.3 runs fine on 87 octane all day, every day
a tuned 5.3 may require 91 octane.
a stock 6.0 runs fine on 91 or 93 octane all day, every day.
a tuned 6.0 still runs fine on 91 or 93 octane.
if you have a race motor, all bets are off and use what the your tuner recommends.

As stated above:
"Higher octane fuels are not "better" or give "more power" They are just different...higher octane delays detonation."

If your truck is stalling it is likely not the fuel. Do some diagnostic testing.

·
Registered
2005 SSR
10 Posts
Hi Kenny. Just so you know, this thread is almost 7 years old. You can always start a new thread if you have a question.
But to answer your question, here's what I know...
a stock 5.3 runs fine on 87 octane all day, every day
a tuned 5.3 may require 91 octane.
a stock 6.0 runs fine on 91 or 93 octane all day, every day.
a tuned 6.0 still runs fine on 91 or 93 octane.
if you have a race motor, all bets are off and use what the your tuner recommends.

As stated above:
"Higher octane fuels are not "better" or give "more power" They are just different...higher octane delays detonation."

If your truck is stalling it is likely not the fuel. Do some diagnostic testing.
Thanks wizzr.
I still dont know if I'm "pitchin' or catchin'" as far as getting involved in the appropriate threads..or discussions... but at least I have a few member that have responded to an ol hippy from the 60s without judgin' me cause I have an I.Q
OF A FENCEPOST.. thanks wizzr...
hey man when I was like 9 or ten years old..I built myself a motorbike with a ki called a wizzr..it was a big belt drive from the primary pulley on this little gas motor to a pulley almost as big as the rear wherl...
you had to pedal like hell to get it started and then jiggle THIS wire and wiggle THAT wire... and off you went in a cloud of smoke...
man...I was proud.
thanks wizzr for lookin' out for me...
ps.that was64 years ago...so you may or may not have ever seen one of those beautiful contraptions...👍

1 - 15 of 15 Posts