Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Harefield SSR
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help
Having tried all suggested checks of connections, fuses, ignition switch etc assume unit is faulty
I have after a couple of hours effort now removed this faulty unit from its hiding place!
Does anyone know how to test unit for faults?
Can it be repaired?
If not, does anyone got a spare one I can purchase, as without it have no sounds of chimes
best regards to all
Mark

·
Registered
103 Posts
Help
Having tried all suggested checks of connections, fuses, ignition switch etc assume unit is faulty
I have after a couple of hours effort now removed this faulty unit from its hiding place!
Does anyone know how to test unit for faults?
Can it be repaired?
If not, does anyone got a spare one I can purchase, as without it have no sounds of chimes
best regards to all
Mark
I have one for 50.00 plus the ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,374 Posts
Stereo amps can often be repaired, depending on what the problem is, Chicos offer of $50 is most likely your best option if you were in the US. Getting someone commercially to take a peek inside is often costly.

It could be as simple as a fuse internally but that normally means something on the board failed. I often repair similar items if I can get the parts but again, the cost of shipping both ways and the likelihood of getting the parts would make just getting a replacement the best option.

Not sure what shipping would cost from US but on EBay, Cleveland pick a part has one for sale at $88 or best offer with free shipping to the UK. Calculate it out and get the best option!
2003-2006 Chevrolet SSR OEM Radio Amplifier Amp Bose 15105546 15117796 15142743 | eBay

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo
Billet letters for tailgate and under hood

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,962 Posts
I have Radio/Amp problem in a 05 SSR.

Turn on radio, no sound, 45 minutes later, sound comes on. Leave R in sun, start, radio & sound comes on.

Removed radio, had rebuilt by techini-car, authorized GM repair, same problem, turn on radio, have to wait 45 minutes for radio "sound/speaker" to come on.

Changed ignition switch, changed fuses.

Changed amplifier, wait 45 minutes for radio "sound/speakers" to come on.

Any suggestions???

Dicktator

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,374 Posts
I have Radio/Amp problem in a 05 SSR.

Turn on radio, no sound, 45 minutes later, sound comes on. Leave R in sun, start, radio & sound comes on.

Removed radio, had rebuilt by techini-car, authorized GM repair, same problem, turn on radio, have to wait 45 minutes for radio "sound/speaker" to come on.

Changed ignition switch, changed fuses.

Changed amplifier, wait 45 minutes for radio "sound/speakers" to come on.

Any suggestions???

Dicktator

Dang, that is a lot of swapping stuff....... Does the radio light up immediately with a radio station in the display? Does this happen if set to radio play or set to play a CD or both?

I know you said the head unit was rebuilt, but I think I would still put money on that. You have a Tech2, swap it out with another head unit and program the correct VIN to test.

Or, if you have an oscope or voltmeter, connect it to the speaker output wires for one of the speaker outputs from the back of the installed unit and see what happens at turn on. You should get a few mv when the system initializes and sound is sent out of the head unit. If you get nothing, you know the head unit is not sending out speaker power.

Helpful Links

·
Harefield SSR
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang, that is a lot of swapping stuff....... Does the radio light up immediately with a radio station in the display? Does this happen if set to radio play or set to play a CD or both?

I know you said the head unit was rebuilt, but I think I would still put money on that. You have a Tech2, swap it out with another head unit and program the correct VIN to test.

Or, if you have an oscope or voltmeter, connect it to the speaker output wires for one of the speaker outputs from the back of the installed unit and see what happens at turn on. You should get a few mv when the system initializes and sound is sent out of the head unit. If you get nothing, you know the head unit is not sending out speaker power.

Helpful Links
Originally suspected OEM head unit Have subsequently fitted new Kenwood Head unit with all bells and whistles, still no sound but shows output on staions and graphic equaliser so feel certain that the amp is the issue will follow up Chicos80 and Dragon2U suggestions
Will keep you posted
Mark

·
Harefield SSR
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stereo amps can often be repaired, depending on what the problem is, Chicos offer of $50 is most likely your best option if you were in the US. Getting someone commercially to take a peek inside is often costly.

It could be as simple as a fuse internally but that normally means something on the board failed. I often repair similar items if I can get the parts but again, the cost of shipping both ways and the likelihood of getting the parts would make just getting a replacement the best option.

Not sure what shipping would cost from US but on EBay, Cleveland pick a part has one for sale at $88 or best offer with free shipping to the UK. Calculate it out and get the best option!
2003-2006 Chevrolet SSR OEM Radio Amplifier Amp Bose 15105546 15117796 15142743 | eBay

Helpful Links
Hello

Thanks for pointing me to this one, as it does state its tested and 90 day warranty and will deliver to UK
Looks like a good option
What a devil to remove, did they start with the amp and build th SSR around it!!
will keep you posted
many thank again
Mark

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,962 Posts

Helpful Links

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,962 Posts
Mike, Radio comes on, shows display, station, volume, everything is working fine on radio. Like I said, Techni-car, is GM authorized repair/program GM ONLY products.

Put two amps on, both work the same and radio plays when it's ready. Speakers fine, music fine. Once it decides to come on, plays all day!

Dicktator

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,374 Posts
Yes, i understand they are supposed to be great but........ you never know. Every dealer has "trained" and "certified" technicians but we all know too well that sometimes that doesnt matter much. To narrow things down you need to use test equipment and check the entire system. Either the head unit is slow output or amp or?????

Voltmeter on speaker outputs from head unit.
Voltmeter on power input to amp.
Voltmeter on amp speaker outputs.

One of them has to show the delay. You need to know where the delay is happening and work your way to the culprit. Maybe the RAP is affecting power? Have to look at wiring to see interface but I don't think there is much to it.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,071 Posts
@Dicktator
Because you have a tech 2. I might suggest you make sure you can establish communication with the radio, amplifier and body control module when its acting up. I would also check all three for codes.
Next maybe take a look at data stream for radio and for amplifier when acting up to see if anything looks out of range. Here a some screen shots from mine.
Pic 1screen shows how to find access to the modules

Pic 2 shows choices once you select the module. Same screen as most modules

Pic 3 Data display for radio playing at lower volume level

Pic 4 Data display for amplifier at similar volume as radio.

Note functional test on amplifier was a test for the noise microphone, for radio it was a reset.
20201028_133959.jpg
20201028_133940.jpg
20201028_133922.jpg
20201028_134221.jpg

Just a few more thing to check, if you didn't already before spending any more $$

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,962 Posts
Had Tech 2 on radio and amp, nothing. Ed Borland also used Tech 2 on radio and amp, nothing. No codes!

We know or believe it is a wire connection. Mike Moro is reviewing schematics for us and will have suggestion.

Wire harness under dash, not easy to test.

Still open to suggestions.

Dicktator/Marv aka Lawnman05

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,374 Posts
If no codes you need to go old school on it. Difficult to look at schematics and pinpoint a problem without testing the signal flow. Again, you don't really know what the repair center did if anything to the head unit. If I were you I would get access to the amp and check for the radio speaker output going into the amp and the amps speaker output for some minimal voltage on the lines, you would at least know where to start looking in the schematics.........

You've swapped out nearly the entire truck, sometimes stepping back and taking more hands on approach instead of an automated one is best.

When I worked avionics on aircraft we had to do the same thing. Even though the automated systems said everything was working well and you knew otherwise, you had to break open cable bundles and the cheaper testers and work it more with a hands on approach and narrow down the source of the issue.

Really sounds like it could be a data link error or BCM but if all is good with the bus and the tech tool testing it has to be something more simple.

Good luck

·
Harefield SSR
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello

Thanks for pointing me to this one, as it does state its tested and 90 day warranty and will deliver to UK
Looks like a good option
What a devil to remove, did they start with the amp and build th SSR around it!!
will keep you posted
many thank again
Mark
Hi All
Fitted recommended Amplifier replacement unit received from Cleveland Power and Performance
Bingo all is now working and I am once again 100% happy with my SSR
Thank you one and all for your support, is very much appriciated
Mark from across the pond

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,637 Posts
Glad you got it working AND thanks for the update

Nick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts