Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cOME ON #17 OF 25.. THE BEST YOU CAN DO IS A LITTLE STORY EVERY 2-3 WEEKS... EVERY TIME I TAKE IT OUT IT IS A STORY. HOW DO THE REST OF YOU FEEL. LET HEAR SOME ADVENTURES IN A TRUE CLASSIC

FATRAT
# 3785 SMOKIN ASPHALT

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Went to a cruise in Tyler, Texas Thurs. nite.

There were over 200 cars there; it was the largest crowd they have ever had. Over 50 more cars were shunted to the Walmart parking lot (many left and never stayed at all.) There was one more SSR (naturally red as mine), but he was not really close to me. I have discovered one thing that I think is essential to all SSR owners. The way to display this vehicle is with the top partially open. Not only does it attract more attention this way, but it also cuts down on the number of requests to demonstrate. I learned this a month ago when a yellow SSR parked near me and began to attract a lot of attention. :boxing Most everyone displays the SSR in convertible fashion. So an idea struck me and I went over and raised the top to about half open postion. When I stopped it, it went on down. Again I opened it and a little further this time and it stayed. Almost immediately the majority of the crowd shifted to mine!:lol My '73 Grandville with 57,000 actual miles, which really looks nice, didn't attract a lot of attention, but I did hear it called a "motel room on wheels.":D

On the down side, the seat on the drivers side is definitely in need of help. :( Only a small thin pillow in the center of the seat makes it bearable on a trip over 25 miles. The passenger side is more comfortable (but I want to be under the wheel.)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Re: Went to a cruise in Tyler, Texas Thurs. nite.

zainossr said:
On the down side, the seat on the drivers side is definitely in need of help. :( Only a small thin pillow in the center of the seat makes it bearable on a trip over 25 miles. The passenger side is more comfortable (but I want to be under the wheel.)
Are you talking about the SSR seat being uncomfortable after 25 miles or the Grandville?

We will be driving ours 560 miles or so to get back to Virginia when we pick it up, so I hope you aren't talking about the SSR.

Diggs

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wow, ZainoSSR - my first car was a 74 Grandville. I called it the battleship. It did have the 455 high-output Poncho, and would definitely haul, just don't ask it to turn on a dime...

I've had the opportunity to put a couple hundred miles on in the SSR in a single sitting, and found the seat quite comfortable. It's a snug fit, no doubt, but still very nice. The only time it's uncomfortable is when I set the seat heater to high - that gets damn hot.

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
Lady in Red - how are the seats?

Judging from your posts, you probably have the most seat time in an SSR - do the seats feel OK?

I drive 8 - 10 hours stints in my Duramax, with no ill effects - hope the SSR can do likewise.

I'm looking forward to the May 2 start of my version of the Cannonball run. Flying to the east coast to pick up an SSR, and giving myself 4 days back to B.C. via Spokane, WA. - roughly 3000 miles. Hopefully, I'll meet a friend in Knoxville and have him split the driving "chores" The route at this stage includes Nashville, Bowling Green, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Salt Lake City, Boise.

Looking forward to officially joining the fraternity.:cheers

Thanks for all the great information along the way.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
:agree I've driven from Va. Bch. to Pittsburgh and back and have to say, it was one of the most comfortable rides ever! I absolutely love these seats!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i agree:agree the seats in the ssr are one of the best i ever had the pleaure to sit in. i'm 6'3" 240 lbs and it feels great. hold you in and you don't get sore or tired.

B

·
0 Posts
I just finished a 2250 mile trip to florida from WV and I drove 10 hours one day and the ride was easy all day long. the only trouble was that people would start to pass and then stay just behind my left side to look at that new fangled vehicle and then pass with a thumb up. my aunt who is 94 wanted to know "what's with those people" what could I say...........

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
OK! Maybe it is just my seat!

I let two other people ride 75 miles each in the driver's seat and they both said that it was very uncomfortable. It presses in on both sides of your hips and thighs; puts them to sleep for lack of circulation. Each person said that the passenger seat was not like that. I may have to have a new seat (not me! - the SSR.)

M

·
0 Posts
The wife and I just did a weekend trip down to Carmel. Though it is not even a couple hours away, we were both very comfortable. We cruised the area, and did the 17-Mile Drive loop. What an awesome road to drive, beautiful scenery, and huge houses. The SSR handled great and got alot of looks from the rich folks too. Pebble Beach is a very beautiful place. Only wish the weather was cooperative to have put the top down. It was too cold and overcast for going topless.

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
I love the seats in mine they are very comfortable on long trips

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
I drive 250 each way on the weekends to where im building my new house and i haven't had any problems with my seats. They seem to be very comfortable to me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
5200 miles and still groovin. did 1020 miles from ky to fl in jan and had no ill effects. when i drove my big old silverado, my leg would fall asleep every 200 miles or so. not so in my ssr.

with the lumbar support and raisin the seat just a little, then committing it to memory, it is great.

does take about a 50 mile adjustment to get used to the greater support of the seat, and it's not the same airy feeling you get in a real pickup, but i've found it more comfortable for the long ride.

I'm used to 30,000 or so miles a year (when I was a working stiff) and I think this car would have added another few years to my working career(good thing it didn't come out five years ago).

I also know that each driver needs to find the ride that fits his/her butt the best. I've found mine:cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

t

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
lumbar support

Maybe you have your lumbar support pushed all the way out.
I found that when I did that the seat was very uncomfortable. So naturally I have the lumbar support pushed most of the way in.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
lumbar support

Have done two round trips to Lafayette, LA (about 4 hrs each way) and one to New Orleans (about 6 hrs each) - was much less sore and stiff when I got out then my old Blazer or the PT Cruiser. I did have to mess with the lumbar support as well in order to get it to where it just provided minimal support.:thumbs

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The seats are tailored for the truck. I have personally driven thousands of miles in many SSRs. My personal SSR has 8000 miles. My wife and I think these are some of the best seats in a GM vehicle. Because the compartment is narrow and the seats are packaged so tight, I am sure there are people who will not be comfortable in these seats, but that probably goes for any vehicle. At least no one complains about the headroom.

D

·
0 Posts
I have over 4,000 miles on my SSR in the two months that I've had it and I think the seats are very comfortable, especially when compared to my Corvette Z06. Comfort may vary between owners depending on age, weight, height, and sex. :lol

However, I don't like the fact that you can't adjust them with the door closed. I hope they correct this on future models.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I love the seats but I do have a hard time finding the right adjustment. I like to have the seat reclined a bit and also like to sit away from the steering where my arms are basically straight out to the wheel and find i can not do this. I am only 5'9" so it's not because of long arms or legs.

Personally I curse the new seats that have too many adjustments cause i can never find the perfect setting!

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
It can't just be all me!

Now you guys can't all be built so much differently than I. I am 6'2" and weigh 220 lbs. I have a 38 inch waist. My butt is proportional, in other words, it is not "2 axe handles and a plug of brown mule" wide. The seat bottom is too deep and too narrow. All of you can't have either a 16" tush or a #3 wash tub for a butt. Some of you don't like the seat and just won't admit it. Thats what I think. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts