Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1st chapter of "The SSR Experience" went out tonight!

The introduction, Chapter 1, and a teaser first page for Chapter 2 of "The SSR Experience" went out tonight to those who have subscribed.

If you have subscribed and have NOT received it, contact me asap so I can correct any errors I might have made when transcribing the subscription list!

Jim G

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
When are you coming?

To Maryland? I want to purchase and receive mine in person!!!! :)

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul: You can subscribe one of 2 ways:

1. Go to PayPal.com, select "send money", and send $30 to my PayPal account:
[email protected]

Be sure to use the notes field to include the email address to which you want the releases sent!

or

2. Send a $30 check by mail to:
James Gnitecki
15305 Gebron Drive
Austin, TX 78734

Again, be sure to include the email address to which you want the releases sent!

For those who have not seen the earlier posts, the book is being written and sent out a chapter at a time, following this table of contents:

Introduction
Chapter 1: What In The World IS the SSR Supposed To Be?
Chapter 2: Important Aspects in How The SSR Was Engineered for Production
Chapter 3: Reasons to Buy an SSR
Chapter 4: Reasons to NOT to Buy an SSR
Chapter 5: Which Model Year? 03/04 or 05?
Chapter 6: Differences & Similarities Between 03/04 and 05, & Their Significance
Chapter 7: What to Look for When Buying Either New or Used
Chapter 8: The Special Situation of Trading an 03/04 on an 05 Model
Chapter 9: Understanding, & Living With, The Quirks
Chapter 10: Working As a Team With GM & Your Chevrolet Dealership
Chapter 11: Keep it Stock, or Modify It?
Chapter 12: The Range of Potential Modifications, & Their Practicality, REAL Effectiveness, & Rough Costs
Chapter 13: Working As a Team With Your Speed Shop & Custom Tuner
Chapter 14: Simple & (Usually) Reversible Modifications
Chapter 15: Moderate and (Practically) Non-reversible Modifications
Chapter 16: Major Modifications
Chapter 17: Understanding the SSR's Onboard Computer & Its Agenda
Chapter 18: Dyno Data
Chapter 19: Actual Street Performance Data
Chapter 20: The importance of Staying Connected With Other SSR Owners

Chapter 1 was the hard one! Everything else is a cinch in comparison!

Jim G
[email protected]

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An SSR's wife: The speed at which THAT deal in Maryland is going, they may NEVER get the elusive combination of financial approval plus security approval!

It's been a week since they started the process, and I've been doing my bit (getting fingerprinted at the local police station for example - a security requirement!), but they have been, uh, challenged so far.

Today, I spent at least 2 hours actually troubleshooting the security website access issue, and had to cancel planned outings, to be here for the back and forth phone calls. Turns out that the agency's security officer has been away, and no one else either knows how to, or is authorized to, "initilaize" the security website with my name & data so that I can get into it!

It's pretty common on these government agency assignments for the recruiter to find the right person, and the agency rep to say he wants him or her, but then they take so long to actuallly get the required approvals that the candidate gets snapped up elsewhere because waiting while without income is a drag!

I can see too already that cost of an extended stay hotel is going to be an issue in that DC area. On the other hand, there is a supercharger installer there too.

Hmmm.

Wonder if I could stay at the installer's shop. :)

No, wife says!!

Sigh . . .

Jim G

·
Registered
321 Posts
Chapter 1 - "The SSR Experience"

Just fininished reading Chapter 1 and I must tell you I was totally infatuated. I could not put it down until I read the very last page! Being a 50's - 60's kid I was amazed at your knowledge and perspective of vehicles from that era.

I think you are right on with your transisiton of the SSR from the 50's - 60's era street rod.

What a great job you did, Jim. I am already looking forward to Chapter 2!!!!

Thank you for sharing your insight with us. Any of our members who did not opt to buy your book are certainly missing a great opportunity to learn more about the history, the design, the manufacture and probably the idiosyncracies of this great American vehicle experience....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Great Job Jim!!!

I got mine and had to read the whole thing. Your perception in defining the "rod" is right on and I think only someone with the mature experience of the 50s and 60s can perceive and appreciate just what we have in our SSRs. I am amazed at how much you accomplished in so short a time and I'm anxiously awaiting the subsequent chapters. Keep up the GREAT work. THANKS! :yesnod :yesnod :yesnod :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Jim G. book

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.!!!!! I GOT MY $30.00 WORTH OUT OF THE FIRST CHAPTER. CAN'T WAIT TO READ THE REST. :lurk

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rainwater: If my perceptions on that 50s and 60s era seem vivid, it's because I actually LIVED that "American Graffiti" lifestyle in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. MY friends and I had many adventures that were more outlandish than some of the incidents in the movie, and we were also much dumber and nerdier than the kids in the movie!

I remember one particularly disastrous day where there were four of us in a buddy's mid 30's sedan-based rod with a really nice smallblock (he couldn't afford the more desirable and therefore costlier coupes!). We got trapped in the right lane at a light, with a car parked at the curb up ahead, and a city transit bus to our left. There were a couple of girls on the sidewalk who looked "impressionable". Our rod was getting favorable attention from both gals and guys on board the bus. When the light turned green, my buddy revved up the smallblock and sidestepped the clutch.

With 4 aboard, the tires hooked up instead of making the desired (and usual) "sound and smoke show", and as a result, a fraction of a second later first gear apparently "left the building". The initial great launch shot us through the intersection, but the untimely disappareance of 1st gear resulted in a slow coast for the remaining distance to an ignoble stop just behind the parked car.

The two girls on the sidewalk were doubling over in laughter (Yeah, we really impressed them). The guys in the transit bus, and the driver, waved their condolences as the bus passed us on the way to victory. My buddy was heartbroken enough at the tranny failure, but then my always less than tactful friend Edwin added "It's not just ANY rod that can lose a race with a transit bus."

We thought that the day's adventures were over, but when it rains it pours.

My buddy discovered that while 1st gear was history, the higher gears seemed to work, so the trick became to weave in and out of traffic in a way that would eliminate the need to actually STOP again until we got home. That worked for about a minute or two until we reached a red light and had to stop. A second later, there was an awful crash behind us, and our car jerked forward. We realized that we had been rear-ended by a then almost new Camaro!

My buddy was now convinced that his life was in total shambles. First his transmission suffers a major failure. Then, he loses a race with a diesel transit bus, AND gets humiliated in front of both guys AND gals. And now, his beautiful rod gets rear-ended. Edwin, always the helpful one, and seeing my buddy's dispair, pointed out that we at least appeared to have "won the collision" with the Camaro, as our damage was confined to the rear external bumper (my buddy had not yet removed that utilitarian piece, thank goodness!), whereas the front end of the Camaro looked like it had hit a wall.

The driver of the Camaro, was a foxy gal who immediately caught everyone's eye (Not just because she was very pretty, but because she drove a Camaro, Silly!). She was a quick thinker who told my buddy that "I saw your race with the bus and have been behind you ever since, and was I so fascinated with your driving, that I just got carried away and forgot to put on the brakes! Sorry."

Talk about "running into someone".

She and my buddy subsequently dated.

We teased him that fate had "brought them together" in the most literal way.

Jim G

·
Registered
321 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
Rainwater: If my perceptions on that 50s and 60s era seem vivid, it's because I actually LIVED that "American Graffiti" lifestyle in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. MY friends and I had many adventures that were more outlandish than some of the incidents in the movie, and we were also much dumber and nerdier than the kids in the movie!

I remember one particularly disastrous day where there were four of us in a buddy's mid 30's sedan-based rod with a really nice smallblock (he couldn't afford the more desirable and therefore costlier coupes!). We got trapped in the right lane at a light, with a car parked at the curb up ahead, and a city transit bus to our left. There were a couple of girls on the sidewalk who looked "impressionable". Our rod was getting favorable attention from both gals and guys on board the bus. When the light turned green, my buddy revved up the smallblock and sidestepped the clutch.

With 4 aboard, the tires hooked up instead of making the desired (and usual) "sound and smoke show", and as a result, a fraction of a second later first gear apparently "left the building". The initial great launch shot us through the intersection, but the untimely disappareance of 1st gear resulted in a slow coast for the remaining distance to an ignoble stop just behind the parked car.

The two girls on the sidewalk were doubling over in laughter (Yeah, we really impressed them). The guys in the transit bus, and the driver, waved their condolences as the bus passed us on the way to victory. My buddy was heartbroken enough at the tranny failure, but then my always less than tactful friend Edwin added "It's not just ANY rod that can lose a race with a transit bus."

We thought that the day's adventures were over, but when it rains it pours.

My buddy discovered that while 1st gear was history, the higher gears seemed to work, so the trick became to weave in and out of traffic in a way that would eliminate the need to actually STOP again until we got home. That worked for about a minute or two until we reached a red light and had to stop. A second later, there was an awful crash behind us, and our car jerked forward. We realized that we had been rear-ended by a then almost new Camaro!

My buddy was now convinced that his life was in total shambles. First his transmission suffers a major failure. Then, he loses a race with a diesel transit bus, AND gets humiliated in front of both guys AND gals. And now, his beautiful rod gets rear-ended. Edwin, always the helpful one, and seeing my buddy's dispair, pointed out that we at least appeared to have "won the collision" with the Camaro, as our damage was confined to the rear external bumper (my buddy had not yet removed that utilitarian piece, thank goodness!), whereas the front end of the Camaro looked like it had hit a wall.

The driver of the Camaro, was a foxy gal who immediately caught everyone's eye (Not just because she was very pretty, but because she drove a Camaro, Silly!). She was a quick thinker who told my buddy that "I saw your race with the bus and have been behind you ever since, and was I so fascinated with your driving, that I just got carried away and forgot to put on the brakes! Sorry."

Talk about "running into someone".

She and my buddy subsequently dated.

We teased him that fate had "brought them together" in the most literal way.

Jim G
Great story Jimbo..... Been there, in that era, but mine started in a 40 Chevy!!! Couldn't afford a V-8, but my dream car at that time was a 49-50 Ford, flathead, dual spot lights, dual exhaust and lowered in the rear!!!! Remember those days?

Steve

P. S. Ordered my Magna and TOG headers yesterday. Am having the 4:56 installed on Thursday and the rest next week. Am having a hell of time with the exhaust as Calif. is not real reasonable! Looks like I am going to have to just go with perhaps a high flow (illegal) cat and then duals after that. Am being told that I could go with dual cats (illegal) by disabling the heat sensor and re-programming the PCM. Would then also have to program the PCM to disregard the o2 sensors! Not certain I want to get that involved in flying under the radar. Will sleep on it some more!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great Job.
I have already printed it, punched holes for a 3 ring binder, put it into a smokin' Asphalt binder and read it all.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rainwater: Do not give up the cats and O2 sensors.

Without them, passing even cursory emissions inspection is impossible, but more importantly, as a modern hot rodder, you WANT them for best performance.

They enable the closed loop operation you NEED to get decent performance & fuel mileage under all conditions except wide open throttle.

By the way, at one point for the summer before my final year at college, my "ride" was an unrestored 49 Mercury with the flathead 8, optional overdrive, and a "hand painted maroon finish".

The previous (original) owner had literally repainted the entire automobile, using a (large) hand paintbrush and maroon barn paint, a few years before he died, and his wife thought it was a miracle someone was willing to buy it "as is". The paint was so thick and tough it protected the ungalvanized body very effectively.

Some of my friends teased me that the car had so little engine braking because the engine was low on compression, but I knew that the real problem was that the overdrive was permanently engaged (It was effective in ALL gears). Unfortunately, none of my young-as-me friends knew how to DISengage the overdrive, as the car was at that point already close to 25 years old, and there was no Internet then. I drove it for 3 1/2 months with the overdrive engaged. Performance was "leisurely".

When I sold it in late August, the buyer, an older rodder looking for a 49 specifically, disengaged the overdrive (he knew how) during the test drive, and I was astonished as to how much more responsive the car became (sort of like changing the gearing on an SSR from 3.73 to 4.56! :) ).

Jim G

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Great Story JIM G.

kIDS, REMEMBER THE GOOD TIMES!! MY BEST MEMORIES ARE OF RACING DOWN COUNTRY ROADS WITH MY DAD IN HIS PONTIAC CHIEFTAN. LIFE WAS GREAT BACK THEN. HE WAS 22 AND I WAS 5!! :reddevil :angel

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
:thumbs EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT. :thumbs That is all I can say about the first chapter. Great work Jim. Can not wait for the second chapter and so on.

·
Registered
321 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
Rainwater: Do not give up the cats and O2 sensors.

Without them, passing even cursory emissions inspection is impossible, but more importantly, as a modern hot rodder, you WANT them for best performance.

They enable the closed loop operation you NEED to get decent performance & fuel mileage under all conditions except wide open throttle.

By the way, at one point for the summer before my final year at college, my "ride" was an unrestored 49 Mercury with the flathead 8, optional overdrive, and a "hand painted maroon finish".

The previous (original) owner had literally repainted the entire automobile, using a (large) hand paintbrush and maroon barn paint, a few years before he died, and his wife thought it was a miracle someone was willing to buy it "as is". The paint was so thick and tough it protected the ungalvanized body very effectively.

Some of my friends teased me that the car had so little engine braking because the engine was low on compression, but I knew that the real problem was that the overdrive was permanently engaged (It was effective in ALL gears). Unfortunately, none of my young-as-me friends knew how to DISengage the overdrive, as the car was at that point already close to 25 years old, and there was no Internet then. I drove it for 3 1/2 months with the overdrive engaged. Performance was "leisurely".

When I sold it in late August, the buyer, an older rodder looking for a 49 specifically, disengaged the overdrive (he knew how) during the test drive, and I was astonished as to how much more responsive the car became (sort of like changing the gearing on an SSR from 3.73 to 4.56! :) ).

Jim G
Thanks for the info... I will probably opt to just go with the single cat and duals behind. My tech says I can install an aftermarket hi-flow cat without any emission problems and legally it can be changed in the event the oem cat failed. He did advise that aftermarket cats do not last as long as oem cats, so I would have to be prepared to replace more often.... We shall see.....

Boy there were a bundle of cool 49-50 Merc's in those daze..... Saw many that were chopped and channeled... Had a 52 with the same kind of overdrive setup.... Then to a 55 Chev Bel Air...... Had the 265 V-8 and with dual glass packs, three speed and it was sweeeeeeeeet....

Once again, great job on the first chapter... I think you have missed your calling. GM should hire you as a marketing rep....

SR

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
The SSR Experience

JimG
I will put a personal check in the mail tomorrow. Chapter 1 happened
too fast and I didn't get to respond.
I will send my email address also.
Anxious to read Chapter 1.
Bud

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm glad to hear that Chapter 1 "happened too fast"! I worked prety hard to get it out within a reasonable period of time. It was the hardest topic by far.

Chapter 2 is coming along veyr nicely, and I think most of the others will also. I'm on familiar ground! :)

I have a couple of local SSR projects planned that could disrupt my schedule a bit, but if they do, the content they produce for the book will be worth it. Lots of value if my friend's ideas work.

I'm also trying to fit in a trip to MTI Racing (surprise project to be documented within the book), and The Homecoming, and the latest thing I'm heairng from my sponsors at the Nuclear Regulatory Agency is that they would like to shoot for an 8-15 start there despite a slow start on the security procedures! Good thing I'm unemployed or I'd be too busy!! :lol

Jim G

V

·
0 Posts
Superb.

Jim G,

I've been a member of two car-clubs (now life member) for nearly twenty years. The difference between commercial hacks and masterpieces boil down to passion and competence. You have demonstrated both in just chapter one. I was tired and ready for sleep, but once started, read the whole thing last night.

Your accolades are well-earned. Keep it coming!

Since your Canadian, doesn't it have to have a certain percentage of Canadian content? Does that mean Anne Murray references and pictures of Victoria BC?

Congratulations

Vaquero

1 - 20 of 32 Posts