Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot believe my luck (?) with my SSR. I've begun to notice (over the last several days) that the 1st-to-2nd gear shift by the auto tranny is taking a couple of seconds and it's somewhat "rough". If I just touch the gas (very slow start) the shifting feels "fine".

When I'm driving up the hill, on the road near my home, I have to punch the gas pedal a bit to motivate the 4700 lbs of SSR up the hill. That's when I notice the issue the most.

Am I the only one with this behavior (let me guess, YES)? :lol

The shifting of this auto tranny has not been what I would call smooth (it's a truck), but it was certainly better than it is now.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Shifting

With all the problems (technical glitches) I have had so far, shifting has not been one of them, but maybe since every other vehicle I have owned has been a manual, maybe I just think it shifts better than I used to :lol

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My roof was making its rattle noise (plastic-on-metal flapping noise) again this morning. I went to the local chevy service department and asked for a test drive with the local tech (Jack).

We went on the test drive and my roof was rattling way (but Jack started to state that "it's going to make some noise" :banghead ). Sell a vehicle that doesn't make the noise and when it starts making a noise (it's normal ....)

While on this test drive, I demonstrated the 1st-to-2nd gear shifting problem. Jack agreed that it was shifting a bit rough.

They're going to do some research and let me know when to take my SSR in (again!).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Try this....

4 those of u that r having shifting probs try this....turn off the T/C (traction control). :yesnod :yesnod

What this does is allow the engine timing 2 advance normally as opposed 2 in the T/C mode which keeps it slightly retarded so that it can be used 4 heavy towing or steep hills from a dead start. This wud require less torque/HP so as NOT 2 spin the rear tires when accellerating under these conditions. :rolleyes:

When it is turned off n u punch it the tranny will not "quick" shift causing the hard shift and/or engine bog. :rolleyes: ;)

Now lets b honest....most of ya'lls complaints bout the shifting r probablly from when u try 2 blast off from the stop light n wonder Y u can't lite up those rear tires. :yesnod Now u can!!!!! :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

Let me know if this works 4 u.

:cool

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried turning off the T/C and the problem did not change.

If the truck is going down a hill the problem doesn't seem to show up as much or at all. If the road is level or the SSR is going up a hill the shifting problem happens with with only a moderate amount of acceleration.

I demonstrated this problem on Wednesday to one of the techs at the dealership and they were to research the TSB I located at NHTSA website that mentions shifting problems.

The service manager was in a mood today that's for sure. :reddevil

He stated that they were waiting for me to make an appointment. I cannot believe the nasty attitude they been taking with me lately. I asked whether they had researched the TSB and he stated that their tech needs the truck first. I then reminded him that there have been several issues with my SSR that have been documented via TSBs and they've ignored them until I point them out. If they were going to do nothing on Wednesday they should have simply stated "let's make an appointment for another day since we're swamped right sow". :banghead

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoke with the band new service manager at my local dealership (previous service manager was let go :thumbs ). While we were discussing all of the "fun" that I've been having with my SSR, he located a GM document that talks about harsh 1st-to-2nd gear shifts. Finally!!!!!

Document #1456783.

It seems to talk about a valve body needing to be replaced. The regional GM rep should be in tomorrow or Tuesday of next week. We might be making some progress on this bugger yet. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts