Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2" Receiver Conversion

This upgrade for me gives me more versatility towing that I wanted with minimal modifications and cost about $100. Also does not interfere with spare tire.

1. Start by cutting stock receiver from bracket.There is no clearance problems with rear bumper during cutting with 6" blade. I used 2-6" Carbide saw all blades, this part takes the longest. Cleanup any metal burrs, I used break clean then a prime/paint black.

2. Drill the existing top 3/8" hole to 1/2", then drill another 1/2" hole lower in the slot used to weld stock receiver. You will need to use 2 grade 8, 1/2 X 4" bolts, nuts, flat and lock washers.

3. Choosing the height of the receiver will be either below the bumper that will require a longer down tube and larger offset on insert to get correct ball height of 18" and this also reduce clearance.

I chose to cutting up into the rear bumper, I like the look. I measured 1/2" down from license plate opening and at this height it doesn't require an offset to be at 18". Note could have gone down 5/8".

4. If you're a welder great, but I'm not so I went to a trailer service and supply. I told them what I was wanting to do. So with my measurements, I purchased from them and 8" receiver tube and had it cut to 7-1/2", then a 5-1/2" insert tube stock for down tube which just fits into stock bracket at 21/4", added a 2" gussets for additional strength which was a piece of down tube angle cut and chain loops which are exhaust type clamps.

After assembly test fit the new reciever using small level and mark the 2, 1/2 holes on the down tube and use drill press. Then test fit again some dremeling is required for easy bolt insertion.

Note: The tech working with me stated the thickness of the factory bracket, receiver and the grade 8 hardware was within the class lll rated construction. Also said optional welded sides and bottom for those who desire max strength.

Once completed and fitted, prep the bare metal by remove oil with brake clean a couple times. Then treat with ospho a bare metal primer, then paint and install.

And yes I have AZMikes air shocks to adjust weigh load.

Note: No chance of banning your legs hitch receiver.

Happy Towing

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
:nerd:

Can you be more specific and/or elaborate as to what exactly "increased versatility" you belive you are achieving by this modification beyond the "stock" setup. I'm not getting it.:|

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,768 Posts
:nerd:

Can you be more specific and/or elaborate as to what exactly "increased versatility" you belive you are achieving by this modification beyond the "stock" setup. I'm not getting it.:|
Now he can swap out receivers with different balls sizes or heights if needs be for his different trailers.

Myself as an example, I have 3 different receivers for my 3 trailers that I tow with my 3/4 ton truck. Each trailer has a different size ball and different tongue height so they have different drop hitches to them. I would never try to pull my enclosed car trailer with my SSR but my open trailer and my small utility trailer I have different hitches for my SSR because of different ball sizes.

Plus you could easily use the receiver type bike rack on the hitch he built where you couldn't on the regular SSR hitch.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure I tow utility trailer thats to close on the factory hitch that I can not have tailgate down, I tow kayaks with different size ball, I use a slide in bike rack and rear tray when I don't want trailer.

·
Ret. Air Force
3,726 Posts
Versitility...he can now hook up one of these (see picture below)...we can't!! :smile2:
Great to have if you tow multiple trailers with varying hitch hights (above ground) or different size ball receivers. :grin2:

Well done @sarasotaspeeder
Nicely done, looks great too. :cheers
Thanks for sharing.

Attachments

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
49,604 Posts
Nice job looks good and should meet your needs well !!!!!! :thumbs

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,768 Posts
The one unanswered question now is did your heart skip a beat when you cut into that bumper cover? That would be the really hard part for me to do. I would have had to measured like 14 times had it marked out with 4 layers of tape and still had to take a break before I took the first cut. After my heart rate slowed I would have been able to finish maybe.

Nice job and a really good idea.

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,740 Posts
sarasotaspeeder.....you are a genius! Well Done...last year I hooked my little 4' X 8' enclosed trailer up, and the tongue weight was over 300lbs, that stupid SSR hitch is only rated for 200. What a joke...in the back of my mind, I don't trust those ball bearings!

·
Ret. Air Force
3,726 Posts
Is there any difference to the tongue weight with this hitch or is it still the same as the OEM hitch (which I assume would be based on rear suspension limitations)!?!?

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,901 Posts
@moscooter, his last sentence also said no more Shin banging, but---that means no acting like a little bumper which is the main reason for ours being installed.

Nick

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Great job-Looks better than leaving the oem hitch on all the time, plus the versatility! Going to put it on my winter to-do list.
You Da Man!

:thumbs

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for the qudos, but I spoke to Dennie about his hitch and just refining to my own design and no cutting back bumper took 3 times measure with straight edge before that "here goes" moment the dremel blade melted in cutting. Personally this upgrades my SSR making her one of akind.
So no regrets for a small cut 2-1/2" X 3" piece removed.

Those who tailgate know a 2" receiver has no give and will crush their front end. So wear those stocker.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
2" Hitch

Nice work Joe:thumbs
Turned out like mine from 10yrs ago
I put Smiley Face on a extra separate circuit from flashing 3rd brake light:nerd:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Removeable

After getting hit at red light, repair to bumper & tailgate.
Decided to remove permanent & redo hitch so as to be removeable:nerd:
Solid or Removeable, Simple, Cost Efficient $100 & Functional :cool:shades:
Again nice work Joe....:thumbs

Attachments

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, so the stock 2006 SS Trailblazer has same drivetrain and suspension, weight except for factory 4.11 gears. has been rated for 6600 lbs towing capacity with 600 lbs tongue weight. Of course it has a better cooling system and some length on the SSR.

Taking in consideration that our SSR's can have cooling system issues that can be upgrades and air shocks or helper bags that can increase carrying capacity from 1000 to 2000 lbs to take extra tongue weight. I'm using air shock on my 06 auto with trans cooler and 4.30 gear now, have no problems balancing any loads but not reaching max loads.

I used air bags on my 05 6 speed with 4.11 gears pulling a 5000 lb boat balanced well regularly.

So yes in my humble opinion with a few upgrades this does increase our towing capacity tongue over stock hitch.

·
Daily Driver
8,980 Posts
The cooling system is the main problem, transmission cooling is #2.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts