Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I usually wait until I am completely empty to fill up but with gas stations prices varying so much I pulled in today and put 20 gallons in after driving 400 miles is it even possible for the SSR to get this kinda miles per? I do tend to drive almost 80% hwy and long desert roads when not on the interstate. Anyone else see this kind of mileage. Just getting used to it all thanks.

Coz :reddevil

·
Registered
178 Posts

Coz said:
Hey gang, I usually wait until I am completely empty to fill up but with gas stations prices varying so much I pulled in today and put 20 gallons in after driving 400 miles is it even possible for the SSR to get this kinda miles per? I do tend to drive almost 80% hwy and long desert roads when not on the interstate. Anyone else see this kind of mileage. Just getting used to it all thanks.

Coz :reddevil

I averaged 20.5 miles per gallon to work and back last night. About 50 miles round trip at night with little or no traffic. :thumbs :seeya

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Easily

On my recent road trip 21 mpg was achieved on long stretches of sane driving and sane speeds, actually on one tank I achieved 20.5mpg and drove almost entirely at 90 mph.
In town I average around 16-16.5 if I can keep my foot out of it...not easy to do

B

·
0 Posts
You guys are crazy, I have an 05 and fill up, put the truck on cruise at 65, and never get better than 15 on level freeway driving...but keep wishing!!!

·
OP
8,226 Posts
batwings05 said:
You guys are crazy, I have an 05 and fill up, put the truck on cruise at 65, and never get better than 15 on level freeway driving...but keep wishing!!!
Yes, I agree, crazy...but the facts are as stated on the MPG, my worst tank has been 14 mpg and that tank had alot of hard, fast driving and quick accelerations from stops. But the 16mpg + has happened more than once, it just depends on MY driving habits as to what the mpg will be on a tank.
You might want to have yours looked at, is it loaded down with weight?

Mine was full in the rear with a cooler and luggage plus my saddlebags (soft) so the truck was pretty level with the added weight in the rear but I assure the MPG is factual. The DIC stated and I also ran the numbers with each fill up on my calculator to verify as I always do...numbers don't lie.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Mpg

Around town driving.......19-20 mpg.

On a trip this spring to VA, NC, TN......averaged 21.5 -21.9 on Interstate driving.

No complaints here...

:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
do you think the DIC is correct on mpg

I keep the DIC on the instantaneous mpg display - it has changed my driving habits, and I am getting 15+ mpg for terrible city driving (drive 3 miles in stop and go traffic at rush hour, constituting 75% of my driving).

Given that the DIC shows me 20+ mpg on rural roads and interstate on the occasions I drive them, I expect to get at least 20 on a road trip (when I finally make one next month).

Do you find that the DIC instantaneous mpg / cumulative average mpg is an accurate reflection of your actual mpg?

·
OP
8,226 Posts
KY ultraviolet said:
I keep the DIC on the instantaneous mpg display - it has changed my driving habits, and I am getting 15+ mpg for terrible city driving (drive 3 miles in stop and go traffic at rush hour, constituting 75% of my driving).

Given that the DIC shows me 20+ mpg on rural roads and interstate on the occasions I drive them, I expect to get at least 20 on a road trip (when I finally make one next month).

Do you find that the DIC instantaneous mpg / cumulative average mpg is an accurate reflection of your actual mpg?
I only pay mind to the average as the instantaneous is deceiving. Jot down your starting mileage at fill up and then the next fill up note the current mileage, subtract to get miles driven or use the trip odometer to save a step, then note the exact amount of fuel at fill up and divide into miles driven on that tank, you will get an average MPG per that last tank and it SHOULD agree with the DIC numbers. If it doesn't, then something is askew...

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
1,678 Posts
Mpg ?

Do you notice a pattern here ? It seems the 5.3 gets better mpg than the 6.0

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Devastator said:
Mine is a 6.0. all 2005's are 6.0's, every year prior to '05 is 5.3, but you already know that...

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
Well I gambled last Sunday

KY ultraviolet said:

I would say the DIC is as close to being accurate to reflect mpg. I was on a road-trip last Sunday just forgot to stop and fill-up was enjoying the cruise so much looked down and the gas gauge was on EEEEEEEK so flip over DIC to mpg said I had 50 miles till I had to push. So I pulled a Kramer and drove her 45 miles back to town and pulled right up to the pump :willy: that was too close (for someone that does'nt let his tank get below 1/4) but made it!! :thumbs Took 24.726 gals which took the shirt of my back :glol :glol but I did'nt have to push :lol

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
Thats the cost

Devastator said:
Thats the cost of having that extra 90hp :lol :lol

·
OP
8,226 Posts
crazyrtr53 said:
I would say the DIC is as close to being accurate to reflect mpg. I was on a road-trip last Sunday just forgot to stop and fill-up was enjoying the cruise so much looked down and the gas gauge was on EEEEEEEK so flip over DIC to mpg said I had 50 miles till I had to push. So I pulled a Kramer and drove her 45 miles back to town and pulled right up to the pump :willy: that was too close (for someone that does'nt let his tank get below 1/4) but made it!! :thumbs Took 24.726 gals which took the shirt of my back :glol :glol but I did'nt have to push :lol
It is good that you fill up at 1/4 tank or more. Some of you out there may not be aware that the emptier your tank gets, the harder your fuel pump has to work. Most fule pump failures occur because the owner lets the tank get to low and the fuel pump has to strain to grab what little fuel is there and pump it to the engine. I am sure there are some mechanics on this forum that can verify and elaborate on this better than I.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
ampmop is correct to a point. It's been my experience as a tech that there are two things that will cause a fuel pump to fail, one being a plugged fuel filter, the pump has to work harder to try and push the fuel through the restriction (filter) and the other ( this is where ampmop is somewhat right) we have alot of vehicles towed in right from the gas station after they just filled up, what happens is the fuel level is run down enough to where the pump is no longer submurged in the fuel to keep it cool so the pump heats up and then when you add that cold gas to the tank and a hot pump the pump will contract and over time it will break the coil winding connection. :seeya

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hum

I average around 18.5MPG

I drive 33 mile one way to work. 15 miles city and 18 miles I-10. some is on cruise control. Some is not. sometimes I horse around at the lights. Sometimes I like to scare my 7 year old. Always comes out the same. I'm confident that if I kept my foot out of it, I could get 20MPG.

We will see after the supercharger :cool

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good gas mileage is possible I drove from upstate new york to wildood nj at an average speed of about 75/80. I did the math with mileage and gallons of gas and I averaged at 24.6 miles per gallon. The modifications I made to my vehicle is a magnacharger supercharger, flowmaster exhaust and a green performance air filter. Just my 2 cents. Mike :)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts

My 2004 (I'm sure 5.3 versus 6.0 makes a huge difference) SSR gets overall 18-19 MPG ! This certainly surprised me. I drive an average of 120 miles/day and about 80 is freeway miles, but on the freeway every morning and every evening I'm going the reverse direction of the commute so 80mph is common. (Sorry, watchsix, but if you're not going 80 you're going to get rear-ended!!) :rolleyes:

Once when I was moving some metal (10'sections) from one job to another I had to go very slow so kept the speedo at 55mph for about 20 miles total. Flat paved road in the high desert(heavily radared by the CHP by the way). Reset everything before starting and for this short "test" distance got 23.5 mpg ! ! So, if push came to shove, excellent mileage can be achieved.

Incidentally, all these MPG figures are achieved with about 500 pounds of ladder, tile saws, cords, tools, materials in the back at all times.

I've since put a Magnaflow muffler system on my SSR and it seems like I don't get as good a mileage. Does this make sense? :confused

B

·
0 Posts
I got 19.1 mpg going to Lancing and back to Tulsa and every thing between. From the fast paced woodward friday nite for over 2 hours never got out of 1st gear i don't think. to some burst above 105mph coming back from Lansing to Warren. We drove About 5 mph over the speed limit where ever we were. 70 to 85. I think is very good for 365 rwhp 6.0 liter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I drove the 04 from Baker City OR to Medford OR and back and drove her hard with a passenger and luggage, top up & down mixed 50/50 approx. This meant crossing 3 mountain ranges each way, 80% 2 lane road and if you were going 55 I was passing, WOT. I ran most of the grades at 70 and 35mph curves at 60-65, and these are serious grades, 3rd gear all the way. 800mi round trip, 17.8 mpg and that incuded 1/4 tank city cruising. I will not complain about gas milage.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts