Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ChriSSR
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted earlier in the summer about my DIC not working right and a hard parasitic drain. Pulled the cluster and sent it to the shop. The guy did some work on the IPC that actually was only changing the steppers and swapping in blue LEDs. I thought it was fixed but not so lucky. The repair shop is taking the cluster back for a more extensive rebuild no charge.

Here is round two of my process of elimination to isolate the problems:
1) I just started pulling fuse 10 after driving the truck. This took care of the drain but I couldn't tell if the cluster wasn't going to sleep on its own or if something else in the truck was keeping it awake. The drain was over .4 Amps and after 36 hours the battery was down too far to start the truck.
2) Went to the U-pick and for $25 pulled a 2003 GMC Envoy IPC with DIC.
3) Put the GMC into SSR. DIC worked perfect and reading voltage on Fuse 10: .003 Volts for 40 seconds after shutdown, then 0 Volts. (Chart says 3MV over 10 amp mini fuse=.425 Amps!)
4) Thought I could morph the GMC to the SSR. I would lose the 140MPH but pick up a voltage gage. Just needed the the odometer set. Unfortunately the gage face of the SSR interferes with the sweep of the volt meter.

Picture of the two clusters attached. Highlight for me was:
1) Fuse 10 should read 0 Volts after 40 seconds.
2) Partially functioning DIC could just be an internal issue to the IPC.

Attachments

·
ChriSSR
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to close this out. I purchased a rebuilt cluster from Digital-Dash-Solutions on ebay. They programmed to the VIN and mileage. After installation, battery drain and DIC issues are gone. Lost my custom blue LED backlight but super happy other issues don't exist. After returning the original IPC, total cost was $180. Wish I had gone there to begin with.

Bottom line was that the Envoy IPC was a great trouble shooting aid. Fuse 10 voltage goes to zero after 40 seconds when the IPC goes to sleep as it should. Flaky DIC can be in the IPC.

Reactions: Autoprof

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Glad to hear you found the problem.
Great information about gmc IPC and company that ultimately repaired yours at a reasonable cost for the fact it was more than a stepper motor problem.:sunce::cheer:

I hope some of my information I posted in your previous threads was useful.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
44,436 Posts
I had many issues with my cluster thought it was the stepper motors and it turned out to be the mother board had that replaced and it worked for awhile and the DIC stopped working so I had the DIC replaced they told me that the same DIC works in many GM vehicles so maybe you can take Envoy DIC and replace in your old cluster and have a spare ?????

·
ChriSSR
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cluster that was giving me fits went back to the vendor as the rebuilt one had a $200 core charge. ($380-$200 core=$180 net). Postage both ways by the vendor so I thought it was more than fair.

Couple of neat things about the Envoy cluster. The voltage gage worked. When the top went down there was an actual message on the DIC instead of the SSR chime. Thought that was funny as obviously the Envoy didn't have a retractable top. The tach actually looks better in my opinion. The issue was that the three pods that make up the face of the SSR cluster don't line up with the Envoy gages. The tach is slightly off center in the left pod and the right pod hits the voltage needle. I suppose it could be hot rodded but I liked the original look too much. With the dash apart, I had to cut off two mounting bosses and drill two holes on the Envoy IPC to bolt it in. With the upper dash off, I drove it like that for a couple of days while I was waiting for the rebuilt SSR cluster to arrive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts