Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if our keys have a computer chip in them?? Having a locksmith make one right now and even he doesn't know? Thanks..

·
Registered
105 Posts
ssr keys

Dream Cruise, I just had 2 extra key copies(both work fine) at chevy dealer for my new 2004 red demo-they only cost $ 3.50 each and I dont believe they have chips-Mikes mid-life

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Dream_Cruise said:
Does anyone know if our keys have a computer chip in them?? Having a locksmith make one right now and even he doesn't know? Thanks..
Nope but the ign switch has a security feature such that you can't take one out and put in another without having the correct unit. It's something like a 1 in 10 chance of having the correct replacment.

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
I had a very aggravating issue with what I thought was my ignition but got it solved the other day when I took mine in to have that veneer alongside the windshield put back on.

The problem was it would only turn over if the key was inserted on a certain side. I had to take the key out flip it and insert it one the other side. It had always been like this. No big problem just aggravating. Turns out it was the key. I was afraid they were going to have to replace the ignition or something. He just replaced the key and all is fine now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts