Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dad has a yellow 2004. When he bought it, there is a badge between the seats says SSR 2004 5.3L 395 hp Limited Edition. I thought the only engine available in 2004 had 300hp?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
5.3 300hp is what they came with who ever owned the truck before your dad had the sign made up, hell you could put whatever you wanted on it. I think the only trucks that Chevy put those badges on were the first 27 Signature Series and the Final Production trucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see someone putting SS badges on an RS Camaro for example, but I didn't expect a made up badge for an engine that didn't exist that year.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,867 Posts
It's a shame people do stuff like that. Not sure who made it up but I would doubt a Fanatic would make something like that up which was obviously a lie.

I like the look of a badge in that location. I had one made up that says " 2006 Final Production Year" which it is but I don't portray it as a "Final Production Run" (FPR)... I also have no plans to ever sell it either!

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,051 Posts
Some people just don't pay that much attention to detail. He probably knew or heard that at least one version of the R had a 395 hp engine and just ran with it. The devil is in the details as someone once said.

Dave

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned with it nobody but a real Fanatic will know if it's true or not hell if he gets it tuned throws om a supercharger hell be up there HP wise.
Welcome a board to the group Trevor fill out your location and some info on the truck, try and get your Dad to make a rally sometime you guys will get some great info on your truck and meet a lot of great people. Hope to see you down the road.

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
That looks like the style of badge made by QWKSSR.

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f22/personalized-waterfall-emblem-49941/

The first photo in post 1 shows some of the many different combinations of information available.

He will make whatever combination of information you want. If you scan through the pages in the thread linked above, you might even find yours when the original owner requested it. It might also have been ordered on EBay.

The shape is similar to the badge on the Signature Series (25 made) or FPR trucks, (826 made) but the original GM badge has the information engraved into a satin silver background.

There was no such thing as a Limited Edition in 2004, and the only engine available was the 5.3 at 300 HP. This badge looks to be at the back of the armrest. The usual mounting location was halfway up the waterfall.

It is possible the original owner did some engine modifications to bump the horsepower, but claiming a specific number is really difficult, because the only way to get an accurate measurement of crank horsepower, which is what the 300 HP is, would be to yank the engine and put it on an engine dyno. Anything other than that is an estimate only.

Having badges with inaccurate information is fine if it makes the owner happy, but it can become a problem when the information is misrepresented in a sale. It's happened a few times with FPR badges on trucks that were not FPR.

·
Premium Member
6,473 Posts
Is it possible the original owner had a 5.3 with lots of engine work done, Dyno tuned and output was 395 HP. So that would be a Limited Edition. And folks that could be "The Rest of the Story".

·
Georgia SSRers
1,011 Posts
It's a shame people do stuff like that. Not sure who made it up but I would doubt a Fanatic would make something like that up which was obviously a lie.
!
When I bought my first R (black) the previous owner had put big chrome "TURBO" emblems on both sides . I promptly removed them,.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts