Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get an SSR and would like to say money is not an object in determining what year but I might consider it. I know some of you on this forum have had both a 2004 and then a 2005 and would like to know your opinions on what I should get. I would like a Aqua Blurrr maybe a stick but an automatic would be ok because it would be a daily driver and that would help here in California on the freeways. So far best price on an auto 2005 is $40,400 or so. About $2500 under invoice with a couple of dealers. The other option is I also like the Ultraviolet and that only comes 2004 or earlier. I have seen $7500 off sticker on these and there are still quite a few available here. One concern is are the 2004's built as good as a 2005? Or are they cloes enough I would not know any difference? I know the engine size would be a big difference but that is ok for now. I have a Z06 and an Ram 1500 SRT-10 if I want speed. All opinions would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Rich

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Boy RSHottel,

Be prepared to get 100 different opinions from 100 different people, but let me take a stab at it:

I have a 2004 and when I was looking for one to purchase, I got a chance to drive the 2005. What a difference a 100HP can make! And from the look at your other cars, I think the seat of the pants being pressed into the seat is a must for you.

If you're a true gearhead, get the 2005. If you want a GREAT deal on a brand new car, with less horsepower for those daily commutes, then get the 2004.

Even if money is no object, it's hard to justify an additional $7,500 for a daily driver....................

There's my $0.02!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Seat of Your Pants....

05' Feels Great!!

More Uumph!! :yesnod

·
Registered
371 Posts
:agree
RSHottel....Buffy has a good point about the $7500 for a daily driver. Even then, I have an '04 and as I can't afford another car for a daily driver, mine is my daily driver and my cruiSSR, and the seat of my pants is fairly small and the 300hp my '04 delivers is enough to get mine pressed into the seat.

my $0.03 worth

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
I have to agree with Buffy. I was in the same situation a couple months ago and went with the 04. Plenty of power for me and I couldn't justify the extra several grand.

·
Registered
133 Posts
:agree Couldnt justsify the boat load of money difference, plus got the color I really wanted! Plus sounds better than the 05 as many people here have stated.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I bought the 04 because I got 0% financing. The 100 more hp in the 05 would have been nice though.

So it came down to the price. Anyway I figure that later on I can add a supercharger to get the power up and still be less than an 05 model.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree

RSH,

I agree with Buff's comment...

Buffy said:
Boy RSHottel,

Be prepared to get 100 different opinions from 100 different people
Most of your anxiety is probably rooted in fear that you will later regret your decision. Interestingly, most SSR buyers would do the same thing again, so chances are good you'll be happy with your choice whichever way you go. I am very happy with my 2003 and have had no real problems, so I'd have to answer your question "are the 2004's built as good as a 2005?"...almost.

Having said all that, if I could have purchased a 6-speed stick with 6.0 L, even at 7 or 8 Gs more, I think I would have. The truth is, being the first in town with an SSR was worth more than waiting for lower prices or more oomph to me. Those days are gone and as Buff said "... from the look at your other cars, I think the seat of the pants being pressed into the seat is a must for you."

It's your money and only you can decide, but if I were in your shoes I think I'd go 2005 with 6&6. But...If I went with the 2004, I don't think I'd be sorry.

Whichever way you go, you're gonna love it!!! Enjoy the ride.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,614 Posts
Since I purchased my 03 SSR at MSRP getting an 05 SSR at or below MSRP would be a good thing, but market forces may cause that price to drop later in the model year.

If I had an 03/04 SSR vs an 05 SSR sitting side by side, I would consider this list and you can place your own value on these differences:

• 05 has 100 more HP
  • 05 comes with beefier 4L65E (M32) auto tranny vs 03/04 4L60E (M30) auto tranny
  • 03/04 has better exhaust sound (some say)
  • 03/04 exhaust system causes cabin rumble in 1500/1700 RPM range (35 to 45 MPH) - test drive one to make sure you know what this sounds like
  • Hopefully the 05 drive shaft does not make the darn "tink" noise (at least as much as the 03/04 drive shaft) - you won't hear this on a test drive since it takes several hundred miles for this to show up
  • 05 hood is supported by hood struts and not the weak hood prop
  • 05 aux gauge package comes with slightly more useful gauges
  • 03/04 vs 05 EPA gas mileage ratings are the same 15 City/19 Highway
  • Some 03/04 SSRs have an annoying HVAC blower motor sound on setting "2" (don't know about the 05s) - may or may not be present during test drive
  • Most 05s come with the better interior door panels for side seat access

You should test drive both and only you can decide if the extra money is worth it to you. If you decide for an 03 SSR make sure the VIN is 1300 or later. There was a cutoff point in the 1200s where the roof tonneau cover hinges were changed. You might as well start off without having to deal with that issue.

I believe you would enjoy either one, but you must decide what driving characteristics you want to enjoy in your daily driver and the only good way to know first hand is to test drive both over the areas you plan to use the SSR.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I agree with shiftz33, I have a 03 and I love it. But it has only been driven 5,000 miles since last January. I would love to go and get a 05 but trade in value is not good. You should test drive both and make up your own mind. You might like the 04 instead of the 05. You can't beat the price on the 04. But in the long run I would go with the 05. You have the bigger engine the hood struts are better and Like shiftz33 said the door panels are more customer friendly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I faced the same choice back in October when I bought my SSR. It took less than a second for me to choose the 2005. It's hard to argue with 390HP....

C

·
0 Posts
If you dont have to look on the money, take a 2005. Its for shure the (little) better product. Newer models are always better . But >>> if you look carefully, you can get 2004´s for $ 30000 and under. GM put last month many ssr´s in the AZ auction.
Used ones went out +25800, low miles + new where around $ 30000.-. You pay up to $ 10000 more for a new 2005 model. If you are a performance, muscle-car or hot rod guy, you will go with the 05. If not, maybe save the 10K for a add. Street Rod Project or a Prowler , or something else .... -C-.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Financing?

Also consider if you are financing your SSR. 2005 models have 5.9% interest and the 2004 models have 0%. That could add up to $4600 in interest over a 5 year note on a 2005.

·
Registered
41 Posts
SSR#10820 said:
Also consider if you are financing your SSR. 2005 models have 5.9% interest and the 2004 models have 0%. That could add up to $4600 in interest over a 5 year note on a 2005.

Actually the 0% ended 1/3/05

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
a winner either way

There are some great posts that lay it out for you. If you choose power over price or vice versa, you will still end up with the coolest ride to roll out of Detroit since the Z/28. My advice, neither is cheap, get the one you want, five years from now you won't remember the price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts