Chevy SSR Forum banner

2004 question

2K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  Gina 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, test drove an 04 tonight. Loved it, but man the road noise was more than I expected in a vehicle like this. I guess one has to make sacrifices to
enjoy a ride like this. $27000.00, 6500 miles....good deal? One owner local truck.
Bose, non-carpeted bed (ok with me)...comments appreciated.

#4 ·
It's a Real Roadster

MauiMike said:
Did it make u grin from ear to ear? Don't worry about the road noise, it goes with owning a roadster, free, no extra charge!

Close to a dozen this week on ebay, low-mid $30K's, midwest area. GOOD LUCK!
:agree OH YA Let the sun shine in :D :D The best part of a :ssr is that ALL of your senses get to enjoy the roadster on the road experience:yesnod :thumbs

Keep The Top Down

PocoToro:thumbs

PS: Has any one driven or ridden in the last real British roadster????
The Morgan Plus 8???? The one thing the SSR and the Plus 8 have in common is that you feel one with the road.:seeya:ssr :seeya

#5 ·
Yup

Yes, there is some road noise in the SSR. It is after all, a roadster. It is part of the package and most of us don't drive all that much with the top up, so the road noise isn't much of a concern. If you don't want any road noise, don't buy a convert.

But of course the SSR is SO much more than "just" a convert!!

04 Smokin Asphalt!!
Woo hoooooooooooooooo!!!

#6 ·
The price is what I would expect since the dealers are offerinf only about $24k to $25k on trade for them.

As others have pointed out, there are brand new 05s out there for low 30s.

If you buy an 04, remember that you are getting:

1. One model year older, so less value on future trade-in if you trade within 2 or 3 years

2. 300 hp versus 390 hp engine, which will affect both future trade-in (dramatically) and your current enjoyment. The cost of getting an 04 to 05 level of power is about $6k to $7k (Supercharger or headers plus exhaust plus cam), so an 05 at $33.5 to $34.5k is an equivalent "value" even disregarding the one model year newer, plus you have a factory warranty on that power.

Jim G

#9 ·
drivin fun

Goodness If you want a quiet ride buy a Cad or a Lincoln. A SSR isn't a vehicle to fall asleep in. Put the top down a turn up the tunes . When it gets low on fuel go fill it up. Enjoy and relax a SSR is driving fun. The heck with the complaints I have no time to complain I have to go drive

OCMAN

#10 ·
Nancy24 said:
Who cares about road noise? You're in the baddest looking vehicle on the road :ssr and having a blast driving it. Who else on the road is enjoying the ride half as much as you. Drive it & enjoy it :ssr
:agree :agree :agree

#11 ·
not a bad price

That doesn't sound like a bad price for this area. I bought my new '04' last April for about $34k in S. STL CO. No regrets at all, except that I wouldn't mind having the 6.0L, especially since 06 will be the last year made. Good luck, It's a blast to drive.

#12 ·
My 2 Cents...

I find the road noise very minimal, and question why there was so much on your test drive. Are the tires original to the vehicle? Maybe the carpeted bed muffles the sound, but I'd put the road noise level on par with my wife's Dodge Magnum.

Obviously market plays a factor, but I paid $31k last Spring for my 3k mile '04 with every option including 6 year extended warranty but no chrome wheels, so $27K seems a little steep.

Having a CarFax done might not be a bad idea either.

#13 ·
road noise

I'll assume that the noise you refer to was with the top down, and perhaps caused by the wind. When my husband and I test drove an '05 and an '04 last June we found it quite windy in the cab. But when we bought the '04 we had the dealer install the wind screen on it and WOW what a difference. A lot better that I expected, the air movement was reduced around 90%. So it makes the cab a lot quieter.

Sandy

#14 ·
2004 ssr

I just bought mine 3 weeks ago south of philly pa for $26,250-a new 6000 mile dealer demo-never titled-mine does have the carpeted bed which i think makes a slight difference in road noise level-you can place dynamat in your wheel wells and inside door panels-that reduces road noise drastically! your price of $27,000 is good but you should make them an offer of $25,000 good luck -I love mine! Mikes mid-life

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.