1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
I read the article - thanks for the heads up.

The numbers seem a little kinky - if you accept their conclusion that there are 316 days of SSR inventory left, and manufacturing is at 70/day, that would be 22120 SSRs left unsold, out of a total manufactured of possibly 15000???. Original expectations were 3200 or so 03s, and 12000 04s. Someone better tell Lansing to SLOW DOWN!!!! and make the durned thing a little more difficult to get.

SSRGUY had reported about 5000 still unsold last month, plus whatever is unsold from manufacturing since then. At 70/day that would be a 71 day + supply, already an unhealthy situation.

:confused

·
Registered
152 Posts
Saying It With Figures

There are a numbers of ways to express DSII (Days Sales In Inventory).

It appears that the way Forbes is expressing it is by taking the number of units in inventory and dividing that by an average daily sales level. Using this approach, hardly half of the SSr's made in '04 have been sold.

An alternative way is to take the inventory and divide by the number of units made each day (70). I understand that there are over 7500 SSr's in dealer inventory and that this sum was growing at 35-40 each day.

There is also the issue of sales days (7 in some jurisdictions, 6 in most) and productions days (believe the Craft Center operates one shift 5 days a week).

The way the article in Forbes did it is in compliance with how the industry computes the stat which is last months unit sales divided into the available inventory.

The facts are:
> Most of the 04 SSr's that were sold seem to have been delivered in the early part of the year
> inventory really started to accumulate in February/March and has continued to do so at an alarming rate since then;
> inventory levels for our babies is climbing and at a rate that cannot continue. GM will need to both slow production and do something to improve volume or dealers will be eating SSr's for breakfast. lunch & dinner;
> The General has not done much to assist dealers move the inventory to date. There is limited financial support (rebates, low cost financing et cetera) and resale is nowhere near where many thought it might be such that the mess is getting WORSE fast as evidenced by the fact the improved 05's are readily available at a significant discounts> friend in SC got one for $100 over invoice (dealer kept the holdback)........
> this is supposed to be a 'halo vehicle'. The halo is getting awfully BLACK

:party

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Makes you wonder what the General has up its sleeve with the unsold SSR's. When I was at the Woodward Cruise and talked to the people in the know, they had big plans for promoting the future SSR's as there halio vehicle. I diden't bring up the subject of unsold one's, did not want to spoil their party at Woodward!!
I don't want to sound selfish, but isen't it great to have a vehicle that very few people have seen in person or own?
Scott 0168

·
Registered
152 Posts
NOT good

The simple fact that the SSr is not selling is BAD news for all of us (GM, Craft Center workers, dealers, and particularly current owners> poor resale).

There are far too many of them made for it to be a real "collectors" item and there will be a number more before they stop coming off the line. This truck should have been a real success for all concerned and it is not. The reality is that Chevrolet Division is not, apparently, taking action to deal with the situation at hand (too much inventory and poor sales volume due to a price that is outside of the benefits provided in the minds of the market).

Without some prompt preemptive action, the SSr is likely to languish and then flounder, not unlike the Edsel, the Lincoln Blackwood, and other such “winners”….

& yes, I am frustrated about this today!

:mad

·
Registered
407 Posts
not being in the car industry may have something to do with a different opinion but I don't care how many SSR's are left unsold. I love mine, don't care that I paid full price because you had to at the time, and will always be glad that I bought it, and each and every time I look at it or drive it my day is better.

Except for the possibility of getting parts why should it matter if we few remain the lucky ones??????

rick

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Curious?

I'm not sure what it means to have unsold inventory on a low volume vehicle like the SSR. Just how many dealers are there? Is it more or less than 1 SSR per dealer?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Agree with the above, the SSr is low volume when you compare it with many models and brands but, at the price point can involve a lot of unproductive working capital for smaller dealers in remote markets that really is not liquid. WTS, it seems appropriate that, as a halo vehicle, most dealers should have one about and many don't mind tying up $40k but do like to believe it is readily saleable and are finding it is not so even at their dead cost or just below it.

This liquidity/salability problem is worsening as the inventory builds and sales are no where near production. This means that the 'average' dealer will not have one but 2 or 3 SSr's around sooner than later and to many of them $120k of unproductive working capital is uncomfortable plus they face real capital losses on it.

May I also suggest that a halo product that is a dog in the marketplace soon is not a halo (well maybe but it is awfully black)....

Don't misunderstand, I love my SSr but am very concerned about the business aspect of the product...

:rant

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
ricardo said:
... I don't care how many SSR's are left unsold. I love mine, don't care that I paid full price because you had to at the time, and will always be glad that I bought it, and each and every time I look at it or drive it my day is better.

rick

I agree with Rick 100%! It really doesn't matter much for me to worry about inventory levels and that they predict 316 days of inventory. First of all its based on a skewed formula of the previous months sales. We all know that the last few months have been very slow sales especially with all the hipe about the new and improved 05 leaking out. Also we are heading into a very depressed market. GM and other automakers are droping production big time making adjustments to reflect their high inventories.

Who would have thought that even the totally redesigned all new C-6 Corvette is already being advertised in my area for GMS ordering! That is unheard of, I could remember when the C-5s came out and there was at least a two year wait before a dealer who would even consider offering GMS pricing!

The few SSR owners (certainly not all of them) are griping about losing 10 Gs on trading in their SSRs to me are not true at heart SSR owners. A couple of them seem to me that they just jump from one new trend to another and are more worried about resale value than anything else.

For those that waited to get a good deal on one now have a great opportunity to find one. There is a dealer in WNY area who is now advertising SSRs at $2,000 under GMS pricing. Although you might think that is loss for a dealer its not! Besides the 5% profit which is based off of the MSRP that GM gives the dealer for selling GMS pricing there is an addtional $1,000 Dealer incentive.

The whole car market is in for a surprise... resale is bad at best for almost any vehicle not just limited to the SSRs! :banghead

·
Registered
30 Posts
2004 Leftovers

We probably shouldn't be crying over spilled milk. I don't know of any SSR owners who bought their toy for investment or resale value. If they did, they need a new fianancial planner.

Let's face it. Buying any new car is probably bad financial management given the high first year depreciation, especially unproven concept type vehicles. But many of us are willing to pay the premium for:

1) being the first kid on the block with the new toy
2) having something fairly unique with a high "fun" factor
3) bragging rights.

....so regardless of inventory numbers, falling prices, future of the SSR, just enjoy what you have and be grateful that you had enough money (or good credit) to buy one of these beauties.

From reading early posts on this site, there were a lot of folks that paid way, way over sticker for the 03's, but I don't think they were worried about inventory, lower demand, lower prices, etc.......it's what they wanted and they wanted it now.

So let's stop worrying about the inevitable with these type "toy" purchases. Just my two cents. Have fun and driver safe. Regards, CARNUT

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Couldn't agree more - I'm taking my bad investment to Vegas in November (off to the SEMA show looking for new toys for the SSR), then off to San Francisco, through the NAPA valley, and up the coastline on Highway 1, back to B.C. We still get a kick out of the reaction people have - way too much fun.

I've spent over 50 years on the sidewalk gawking at cool cars, green with envy. Damn I enjoy the jealous looks.

Looking forward to our holiday - We'll be grinning all the way - can't say the same about shares in Enron :cheers

PS - Just received the "SSR An American Original" book today from Automotive Quarterly - awesome piece - recommend it highly

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Depreciation...

I continue to agree with comments above...

Once again, lets take a closer look at the brand new C-6 Corvette pricing and availablity... my dealer just sold one for $2,000 above MSRP to another dealer down south. I can't even begin to imagine what he is going to be asking for it when he gets it. So what do you think the market will be like for a slightly used C-6 in a year???? Bend over because it will be much more than 10Gs!!! If dealers here are allowing GMS ordering at aprox. 8,500 - 9,000+ off MSRP (depending on options etc..) there will be a lot of very sad X-Vette owners around.

Ps so enjoy the fun... live it up and smile... you have or had a piece of automotive history! :flag

·
Registered
45 Posts
MarcNY

Read the comments carefully. Most of the people "complaining" of $10K depreciation, myself included, are doing so only in the context of replacing their beloved SSR with ANOTHER one. I waited a year, was willingly gouged, and traded in an SL 500. I wouldn't trade this for anything, EXCEPT a better SSR. This is w/o a doubt the most fun I have ever had in a car. I don't bicker about any small problems, but if it is improved, I might exhange for more horsepower (never quite enough) and all season capability. As I implied in Autoweek, while this car may fall short for some in either the sports car or truck expectations, for me it is near perfect. I appreciate sincerely all those involved in bringing this dream to the market.

·
Registered
413 Posts
i agree my ssr has brought me more joy than any vehicle i have ever had

·
Registered
87 Posts
What's It Worth?

Hey SSRedRod,

I agree with you, and for that matter most of the posts in this thread. We've had a lot of toys and with the exception of a few collector Corvettes and a '91 Rolls-Royce, never sold them for a profit... never expected to either.

The value is in the pleassure of ownership and use. Drive 'em and take care of 'em. They will depreciate and deteriorate just as much... or even more... if you leave them in the garage.

I was really bummed when Autoweek only printed my one or two negative comments and not the page long list of positive impressions. We've had ours for a couple weeks short of one year now and we still get 'thumbs up' and all kinds of attention everytime it's driven. Maybe that's why we have 9000 miles on something that was only going to be used occasionally. If it has depreciated $10K I don't care... well maybe I do... but there is no doubt I have had way over $10K worth of fun owning it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I also agree with marc and the rest - predicting inventory levels are iffy at best for high volume vehicles, and the SSR doesn't fit the equation very well. I personally don't care how many SSRs are in the system, and for that matter, don't care how many are made. I understand there is an allure to having a vehicle that's not as common as your run of the mill Impala, and despite the number of SSRs made or will be made I'm confident the SSR will never become commonplace. Either way, that's not why I bought my SSR. I own an SSR because I love everything about the SSR, and I plan on keeping mine for a good long time.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Total agreement

I agree completely. I just got back from a five day vacation up at Lake Tahoe, Nevada and I couldn't wait to get back and go for a drive. Went to the Post Office today to pick up our mail and spent 20 minutes outside the Post Office talking to people about the SSR. All very positive comments and they all loved the SSR, even with the big crunch in the rear fender.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts