Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to update the happenings with the "lemon" law filings...........

I laughed when............

GM has offered to extend my warranty for 6 years,100,000 miles to cover my wiper motor. Wow-how generous.Now I can be sure that the dealership will continue to replace wiper motor after wiper motor for the next 6 years. I politely and firmly told them that the offer was completely unacceptable!
I am now relying on the BBB. They will mediate for me and if that fails-off to the lawyer I go.

I will continue to keep you all updated.:mad

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Zoe Tat2girl said:
Just to update the happenings with the "lemon" law filings...........

I laughed when............

GM has offered to extend my warranty for 6 years,100,000 miles to cover my wiper motor. Wow-how generous.Now I can be sure that the dealership will continue to replace wiper motor after wiper motor for the next 6 years. I politely and firmly told them that the offer was completely unacceptable!
I am now relying on the BBB. They will mediate for me and if that fails-off to the lawyer I go.

I will continue to keep you all updated.:mad
Tell me this please, Why are they saying the wiper motor issue can not be repaired?

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
What I don't understand is why not just back out everything that has to do with the wipers and replace it. Wires, boards motors switches etc etc. VOLLA! Fixed! It makes no sense to me at all for GM to replace a truck over windshield wipers. Its not like its an issue that everyone is having so it has to be repairable. The whole story is not being told here im afraid.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Ricochet said:
What I don't understand is why not just back out everything that has to do with the wipers and replace it. Wires, boards motors switches etc etc. VOLLA! Fixed! It makes no sense to me at all for GM to replace a truck over windshield wipers. Its not like its an issue that everyone is having so it has to be repairable. The whole story is not being told here im afraid.

If if's not an issue that everyone is having 'makes it repairable', then there would be no need for a lemon law, because everyones vehicle would just get fixed.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Obviously they can't fix it!!!!
They have replaced the motor, several time, the wiring and it still isn't fixed. I wouldn't want to mess with it anymore either!!!!
I think GM should take it back to Lansing and start all over with it.!!! Then maybe they can figure out why it is broke all the time.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Poor Troubleshooting

This is not a hardware issue. They have been throwing parts at your truck without understanding the system.

The computer is what controls the wiper motor. If your supporting dealership is so inept that they can't troubleshoot it, then they need to have some technical support from the factory.

I have been working with complex computer controlled engine systems for many years and the inability of technicians to have independent thought processes for troubleshooting makes me furious. Changing hardware is easy and can be done by anyone. Thinking through a problem and using logical deduction troubleshooting is much more precise and requires a level of skill that is not at all dealerships.

The documentation for the control system logic exists in GM's Controls Engineering Department and is the first key to fixing this problem. The second key is to get a technical expert that understands how the system works to troubleshoot it. When GM holds their information this tight, the customer is the one that suffers most.

Please accept my apology for ranting like this, but I am really steamed about the lack of customer support you have received.

Passionately Pi**ed,

Mike

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Well, The Lemon Law as I see it should be reserved for Major failures such as Fires, Engine failures and major driveability issues. I just can't see going through all that hoo ha for some wiper motor. It will take a year to settle IMO its just not worth it.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Ricochet said:
Well, The Lemon Law as I see it should be reserved for Major failures such as Fires, Engine failures and major driveability issues. I just can't see going through all that hoo ha for some wiper motor. It will take a year to settle IMO its just not worth it.

So a waterfall on your passengers head wouldn't qualify?

And if your wipers went on and off whenever they wanted....you would do what?
(I think that is a major driveability issue)

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Its not a major issue its simply a mechanical failure that should be able to be fixed. Any "competent" Dealer should be able to fix this.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
That's it!!! She should drive all over the country trying to find a dealer competent enough to know a resistor from a diode!!!! GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's called SAFETY..... That's One of the main reasons we have a Lemon law
Mike.... Gm is in the process of a buy back... GM assisted trade... Dealer says they want 6 k& the lemon on a 05.... Told them they will have to do better.... we shall see
Semper Fi
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Ricochet said:
Its not a major issue its simply a mechanical failure that should be able to be fixed. Any "competent" Dealer should be able to fix this.
THE KEY WORD IS '"Competent Dealer" !!!! IS THERE SUCH A CREATURE ?????:banghead :banghead :smash :smash :smash

·
Registered
59 Posts
For the most part, the dealers employ parts changers not mechanics

Those, few, good mechanics are the ones who UNDERSTAND, in detail, how the various systems work and can trouble shoot them. It is the rare individual who can put together computer programing with the mechanics they control.:agree

Some of you have read my posts about the drooping sunvisors on the SSR. I knew I was in trouble when I realized that the left and right visors had the same problem. (trouble with the dealer and GM):banghead :bs

The dealer and GM's 800 customer satisfaction were of no help. After removing the visor assembly, it only took me a second or two to see a cure. I did fix the passenger side, and to this date the visor stays in place, no matter the position. :smash

This is not surprising as there are few rare individuals who can think outside the box and are still working as mechanics. Of course most of the problem is leadership does not encourage that kind of thinking. Perhaps it is a liability issue?

I own a Motor Home and, believe me, I have never had any work done on it that was done correctly. Rather the opposite, even those few times I took it into the Caterpillar dealer. It finally got so bad, when 4 fixes on a simple WSW problem broke the last time within 30 minutes of operation with the prior 3 failing after no more than 5 or 6 hours of operation. At that point I decided to go back to just doing my own work as much as possible. Needless to say, I was pretty PO-D.

If you take any problem, that is outside the normal, to a mechanic, count your blessings if they get it fixed the first time.

FWIW,

Harlan:leaving

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
You're so right

Harlan,

The skill of logically deduced troubleshooting has been replaced with simplified fault trees that lead to a part replacement. No longer can you depend on the "technician" to be technically competent. It is truly the rare individual that can take systems knowledge and deductive reasoning to solve a problem. We have promoted the artificial intelligence of database searches and canned troubleshooting charts to the point where we are now getting almost no independent thought.

This has happened as a result of the information age and comupter supported investigations. If you doubt me, just go ask someone at a parts counter for a specific bolt by size or light bulb by wattage and base configuration. They will NOT be able to help you until you tell them what kind of car it goes into and wheter or not it has 4wd.

Last time I looked (about 15 years ago) Chevrolet has been using the same u-joint since 1939. Ask someone at an auto parts store for a Chevrolet u-joint and they will want to know if the vehicle has A/C.

We need to teach our next generation about independent thought processes before it is too late.

Ok, I'm done rambling.......

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mike

:yesnod Ok, you said it better than I did. Got more to the basis of the problem so it is safe to assume you can think outside the box!!

I guess, to say it all, when going in for a service problem it is a case of Buyer Beware! :nopity

Harlan :leaving :seeya

Darn, this is a neat site with all the icons :cool

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ricochet said:
What I don't understand is why not just back out everything that has to do with the wipers and replace it. Wires, boards motors switches etc etc. VOLLA! Fixed!

This statement is too funny! If fixing modern cars were this easy everyone would be technicians. Throwing parts at it like you suggest does not guarantee a fix. What about loose or broken ground wires, current bleeding from another circuit etc.

I agree there are a lot of part changers, but there are a lot of good technicians still out there, just have to find one that does not completly rely on a diagnostic flow chart to solve problems.

One thing not mentioned is if there are ANY aftermarket accessories installed. I have seen first hand many problems created by installers of stereos, alarms, etc.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Calcustom said:
............. What about loose or broken ground wires, current bleeding from another circuit etc.

I agree there are a lot of part changers, but there are a lot of good technicians still out there, just have to find one that does not completly rely on a diagnostic flow chart to solve problems.

One thing not mentioned is if there are ANY aftermarket accessories installed. I have seen first hand many problems created by installers of stereos, alarms, etc.
:agree :agree :agree

We have to be very careful how passionate we get about this. I know there are some truly awesome technical people working for GM. It's really hard to know who and where they are. I have no intention of generalizing and slamming all tech support. I know better.

All the good techs should have a journeyman to mentor...... maybe in a few years, they would get it.

Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts