Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying despite the problems,I love the SSR,just not my particular car.
I have owned this car since 9/04 and it has been in the shop with 10 different and some re-occuring problems.
The drive shaft has been replaced the second month I owned it. There was work done on the heat shield,it rattled continuously. The clips flew off the top when it was lowered and raised. The interior door handles would not open the doors,so you had to crawl out the window to get out....that looks classy when you try to valet.
The biggest problem I have had are the wipers. The car is again at the dealership. The wiper motors have failed for the 5th time. It has been repaired by 2 different Chevrolet dealerships. The wipers will turn themselves on and off and go haywire.The wiper motor has been replaced 3 times now. The wiring harness and the stick inside. Now the wipers go haywire and the washer fluid shoots out while you have the wipers "off". I have filed with GM and the dealership is at this point working with the GM as well. Every "possible" part according to the dealserships have been replaced and they do not understand why this keeps occuring. It makes the car not possible to drive....especially if it rains. The fuse has to be pulled to stop the wipers,they cant be turned off.

Has anyone else has these problems????
Please contact me personally,if you have had problems with your SSR especially 2004.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts

Zoe Tat2girl

I have a 2004...However I have had very little problems with mine. I'm sorry to hear about all of yours. How many miles do you have on yours? I'm in and around 7000. I do store mine for the winter months. Did you have these problems right from the start or did they occur over time?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has 12,000 miles on it now.(most mileage back and forth to the dealership,not kidding)
I drive it very rarely,only for a cruise or long trip to Long Island and once to Fl. It is never driven on winter days. It is kept stored and covered. I just have had problems from the start with this car and they keep occuring!
We will see what GM does for me,but at this point I am unsure if I want another SSR. After all these problems,it makes me nervous to get into another one. It is too expensive of a car to have this many problems!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Sounds like it's haunted or posessed to me! Think the computer has anything to do with it??? Could be worse, it could lift a tire near fire hydrants...

My wipers always worked great. It only took my local dealership two years to make my top go up and down when I wanted it to...... It stopped again Monday, back I go again!!

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
I have a 04 that I have just put in the shop for the first time. I only have 4000 miles on mine. It has the tink, whine, poor radio reception which you can find threads on all of this. I'm not frustrated yet but we will see what the dealership does about the problems. I still love mine though. I notice you live in Asheville. I live in Maggie Valley (short 25 minute trip).
I am in FL for the winter but will be back there around March 25th. Hopefully you can work it out with GM and get the problems resolved or get another SSR. I hate to see you lose the joy of owning one but I can see why you have'nt had much joy so far.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Gina said:
I have a 04 that I have just put in the shop for the first time. I only have 4000 miles on mine. It has the tink, whine, poor radio reception which you can find threads on all of this. I'm not frustrated yet but we will see what the dealership does about the problems. I still love mine though. I notice you live in Asheville. I live in Maggie Valley (short 25 minute trip).
I am in FL for the winter but will be back there around March 25th. Hopefully you can work it out with GM and get the problems resolved or get another SSR. I hate to see you lose the joy of owning one but I can see why you have'nt had much joy so far.
Some of you just need to come to the realization that the tink. whine etc etc is just a part of the SSr like the Paint. ITS THERE Live with it or trade out of it. This is common with low volume cars and trucks. The Dealer can not fix things that are part of flawed engineering. The SSr is what it is, Its a factory "custom" not an Impala. Live with it or Get rid of it. If you are having a wiper problem have the Dealer make an appointment with the Zone office rep for you at the dealership. In a very nice calm voice explain to the nice factory service rep how you will not hesitate to take GM to court if the wipers fail one more time in the rain. Tell them you want a loaner and they should keep the truck as long as they need to fix the problem. This is not a common problem to the SSr so dont blame the truck, I would blame it more on the "service" side for not being smart enough to find out whats really wrong.

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
Ricochet said:
Some of you just need to come to the realization that the tink. whine etc etc is just a part of the SSr like the Paint. ITS THERE Live with it or trade out of it. This is common with low volume cars and trucks. The Dealer can not fix things that are part of flawed engineering. The SSr is what it is, Its a factory "custom" not an Impala. Live with it or Get rid of it. If you are having a wiper problem have the Dealer make an appointment with the Zone office rep for you at the dealership. In a very nice calm voice explain to the nice factory service rep how you will not hesitate to take GM to court if the wipers fail one more time in the rain. Tell them you want a loaner and they should keep the truck as long as they need to fix the problem. This is not a common problem to the SSr so dont blame the truck, I would blame it more on the "service" side for not being smart enough to find out whats really wrong.
I realize that, but I have had it a year and this is the first time I have taken it in. One time in a year doesnt sound excessive to me. I am living with it and dont plan on getting rid of it. Excuse me for trying to get my moneys worth out of the extended warranty I paid hard earned money for. I would just like to be able to hear more than one radio station. Also, I think it would be irresponsible on my part not to let them know what is going on with my individual vehicle. It does not do me any good to tell them someone else has the tink or whatever. They need to know I have it. Even if they cant fix it they do need to be aware. Who knows what will happen down the road. Better safe than sorry I think.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
WOW, You've had some bad luck, I would try to get GM to work a deal for another SSR. my 04 has 2700( + or - )miles on it and aside from an oil change, it has never been in the shop.
Sounds like they have changed everything they could with nothing being completely fixed.Time for a new truck,but thats just my opinion ..Good Luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Lemon Too

Hi Gina
I can relate to your problem, my 03 with 14K miles has been in the shop since nov 30.Computer problem. The regional rep told my dealer to look for another truck to replace it.....I have yet to receive any word from GM( seems the GM 800 people are in their own world). I've learned more from the local dealership than I have from the home office. they either don't have the information or unable to provide me with the person who makes the decision. No wonder things are not going well at GM.
Right now GM is providing me with a rental [email protected] 400/week so the longer we wait on a decision the more it will cost them to replace it. I am willing to take a 05 since they are available. I really like the SSR but, the longer I wait , I'm starting to wonder whether it is wise to get another ? maybe I should TAKE THE MONEY , & look elsewhere.
Good luck ,
Semper Fi
Joe
My truck qualifies as a LEMON . per NJ law

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comment.
The problems I have are not tinks and whines. The driveshaft that was replaced made a very loud clunk and wouldnt properly go into gear.I dont consider that a tink. I own 5 cars and 4 are GM products and never had the problems I have had with this SSR. GM has been contacted and the ball is in motion. I am not posting to cry about my car-I am posting to see if others are having any similar issues. I am also posting to make others aware. I read these boards before purchasing my car to get others feedback. Despite my car being a lemon-the SSR is a beautiful truck,but maybe not the truck for everyone.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Zoe Tat2girl said:
Let me start by saying despite the problems,I love the SSR,just not my particular car.
I have owned this car since 9/04 and it has been in the shop with 10 different and some re-occuring problems.
The drive shaft has been replaced the second month I owned it. There was work done on the heat shield,it rattled continuously. The clips flew off the top when it was lowered and raised. The interior door handles would not open the doors,so you had to crawl out the window to get out....that looks classy when you try to valet.
The biggest problem I have had are the wipers. The car is again at the dealership. The wiper motors have failed for the 5th time. It has been repaired by 2 different Chevrolet dealerships. The wipers will turn themselves on and off and go haywire.The wiper motor has been replaced 3 times now. The wiring harness and the stick inside. Now the wipers go haywire and the washer fluid shoots out while you have the wipers "off". I have filed with GM and the dealership is at this point working with the GM as well. Every "possible" part according to the dealserships have been replaced and they do not understand why this keeps occuring. It makes the car not possible to drive....especially if it rains. The fuse has to be pulled to stop the wipers,they cant be turned off.

Has anyone else has these problems????
Please contact me personally,if you have had problems with your SSR especially 2004.
Glad you finally found us! We understand the love you have for the truck too.
First off The Tink is non mechanical so replacing it with the exact part will not make the sound go away. Don't worry about that.

Second, I am no rocket scientist but the wiper issue doesn't sound like the motor, but it does sound like a computer board issue .

Third the door handles are under warranty and have been replaced by many people on this site. Have you had them fixed yet?

Go to your local state office and find out about your lemon law rules and let GM know you are starting this process.

I have an 04 and have had the drive shaft replaced, way before we knew what the issue was, had the window realigned but that has been it!

BTW, did you happen to name your ssr "christine" :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not convertible top malfunctions as to date. Honestly-the car isnt driven that much to find problems. Everytime I take it out it ends up in the dealership for the wipers.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I also meant to ask about the clip? They just flew off? did they fix this? what did they do? Sorry you are having issues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes-the door handles have been fixed.I guess they are fixed. I had the car back for 3 days and then the wipers went again. "Christine" is at the dealership for day 2.
As far as the computer board-good suggestion-the "mechanics" are dealing with the GM reps right now about how to go about fixing my wipers for the 5th time.
We all await the answer..............................................................

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The clips have been replaced and have not had a problem since.
The clips hold down all the wiring on the top so they do not get stuck or kinked while the top goes up and down.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok....just called the dealership and spoke with the head mechanic. GM told him to replace the switch. So here we go again. I will pick my car up at 5:00 and according to them there will be no more problems.....................hmm......will there be a 6th event?!

PS-He said the computer board has been checked.

Everyone cross your fingers! ( this isnt the first time the switch has been replaced)

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Gina said:
I realize that, but I have had it a year and this is the first time I have taken it in. One time in a year doesnt sound excessive to me. I am living with it and dont plan on getting rid of it. Excuse me for trying to get my moneys worth out of the extended warranty I paid hard earned money for. I would just like to be able to hear more than one radio station. Also, I think it would be irresponsible on my part not to let them know what is going on with my individual vehicle. It does not do me any good to tell them someone else has the tink or whatever. They need to know I have it. Even if they cant fix it they do need to be aware. Who knows what will happen down the road. Better safe than sorry I think.
:willy:...See I could tell,.. Thats why I said a nice calm voice......

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
Ricochet said:
:willy:...See I could tell,.. Thats why I said a nice calm voice......

My husband took it in. He had did the calm voice. We are not irrational people.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts