Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevrolet ssr
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 2004 chevy ssr the engine temp guage in the cluster is going way past hot but its not running hot per hand held lazer temp guage,is this usually a bad cluster or a sending unit? maybe loose wire?

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,487 Posts
When it gets to a certain temperature, turn on and off the truck a few times, does the gauge read the same every time or does it change? If it changes as the key is off and on then it is most likely a stepper issue. They start to hang up and will give unreliable readings, sometimes you can get them to read correctly for a few months, weeks or days but turning key off and on.

Get an ODB reader and read the signal off the data bus at the connector under the driver side dash, see what the computer sees. If the sensor is sending the computer inaccurate readings you will see it on the ODB signal and would be a bad sensor. If the sensor is sending good data to the computer but the dash is all messed up then you know it is in the speedo.

Might be someone close to you to repair at a commercial place but I and others here also offer repair services for the speedometer at a pretty cheap rate.

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo
Billet letters for tailgate and under hood

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,006 Posts
@the king, Good info above, more ideas will be coming---meantime--Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Then go to the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. New Member Section

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
2004 Chevrolet ssr
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When it gets to a certain temperature, turn on and off the truck a few times, does the gauge read the same every time or does it change? If it changes as the key is off and on then it is most likely a stepper issue. They start to hang up and will give unreliable readings, sometimes you can get them to read correctly for a few months, weeks or days but turning key off and on.

Get an ODB reader and read the signal off the data bus at the connector under the driver side dash, see what the computer sees. If the sensor is sending the computer inaccurate readings you will see it on the ODB signal and would be a bad sensor. If the sensor is sending good data to the computer but the dash is all messed up then you know it is in the speedo.

Might be someone close to you to repair at a commercial place but I and others here also offer repair services for the speedometer at a pretty cheap rate.

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo
Billet letters for tailgate and under hood
today i cycled the key on / off 6 times and the guage slowly came back down to normal, bad guage im guessing

·
Premium Member
2004 SSR Red
62 Posts
on my 2004 chevy ssr the engine temp guage in the cluster is going way past hot but its not running hot per hand held lazer temp guage,is this usually a bad cluster or a sending unit? maybe loose wire?
I removed my cluster and sent to Dragon2 for repair. All working great 😊

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,908 Posts
Check locally for a speedometer shop. If you have one around they should be able to fix your stepper motors. Or may ask what they would charge to pull the cluster out for you as a second option. We have some guys like @Dragon2U who have done many of these and are very good at repairing them.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,006 Posts
Someone close to you might be willing to show/help you pull it, then you can send it off and put it back, maybe by yourself. Go to the "Pinmap", my link won't work, and message someone close to you.

Nick

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 9/2106 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
28,912 Posts
I do not have a pin map @Dragon2U has the responsibility for supporting the Pin map. Questions should be directed to him via Conversation.

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,384 Posts
I don't know who in the area can pull the dash to get the speedo cluster but @BlastfromPast may have a recommendation for a shop that can do it here locally.
I have pulled a couple of clusters out, and I can replace stepper motors if needed. The cluster removal / reinstall is not a quick job for me - takes a couple of hours both directions but I am happy to do it for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts