Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Ebay sells a compatible fob, You just have too take too a Locksmith and have it programmed too Your vehicle. Usually You can pick up those for around 12-15 dollars apiece, make sure you get one with the cargo opening button. While at the Locksmith, if you dont have keys for your console, take the number off the lock face and most can cut those from stock also fairly cheaply. Good luck

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,148 Posts
The #2 is still available new. Mike Byers had some for sale a while back. He is a member here search for his name Byers. The ones on Ebay have the same configuration but have a car with a trunk rather then the truck with the bed cover opening for the fourth button. It will work the same just depends on what you want. And like said above you have to take it to the lock smith or dealer to get reprogrammed.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
Only a 4 button GM keyfob with FCC ID KOBLEAR1XT will work after programing. There are many new and used on eBay or as mentioned above send a PM to BYERS.
The #1 and 2 on the back are for convenience, both FOBs are functionally the same.

If you want the correct symbol on the trunk button you need to find an SSR FOB or buy the correct FCC ID as stated above then purchase a FOB for a Saturn ION and swap the rubber membrane. Most ION FOBs had the SSR symbol on the trunk key but the electronics are not compatible. Also many for sale on eBay. I thank RiverRat for that bit of trivia!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-103571...=item4d706e5c91:g:LAkAAOSwDNdVuWyK:rk:12:pf:0
Greg

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
999 Posts
What did they charge you for a key and fob programing?
When I purchased my '05, it came with only one fob. I purchased a replacement fob on Amazon for $13, took both fobs to Chevy dealer for programming (both fobs MUST be programmed into vehicle memory at same time or only the newly programmed one will work). The programming took less than 5 minutes and the Chevy dealer charged me NOTHING.

You now can get 1 KOBLEAR1XT fob on Amazon for $10

-or get 2 fobs for $15
SSR key fobs $15

Cheers, Carl

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Get the number off the Console Lock, usually a three digit number, take too most any Locksmith and they can cut you Keys too fit, I think I paid $20 for two keys to be cut and they work perfectly. They can also cut keys for the Hard Storage bags if you give them the number from the lock assemblies.

Bill

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,883 Posts
When I purchased my '05, it came with only one fob. I purchased a replacement fob on Amazon for $13, took both fobs to Chevy dealer for programming (both fobs MUST be programmed into vehicle memory at same time or only the newly programmed one will work). The programming took less than 5 minutes and the Chevy dealer charged me NOTHING.

You now can get 1 KOBLEAR1XT fob on Amazon for $10 SSR key fob $10

-or get 2 fobs for $15
SSR key fobs $15

Cheers, Carl
Wow, great price. I've got a newly purchased 2011 Chevy Colorado and an oem keyless fob I purchased separately that needs to be programmed to the vehicle. The local Chevy dealer quoted me $100.00 for the
programming and said it would take an hour to an hour and a half.

Dave

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
NOW THE BEST PART. You can program each fob to a different person. Then set the seat for #1 & 2. When [you] use your remote to get in the truck the seat automatically goes to your position even before you get in the truck. GREAT for me as my wife is 5 FT & I'm over 6 FT. All in the owner's manual.

Bird

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
999 Posts
Wow, great price. I've got a newly purchased 2011 Chevy Colorado and an oem keyless fob I purchased separately that needs to be programmed to the vehicle. The local Chevy dealer quoted me $100.00 for the
programming and said it would take an hour to an hour and a half.

Dave
I think you need to find a new dealership. That dealer quoted you "an hour to an hour-and-a-half" in order to justify the $100/hour labor fee. My dealership had it done in 5 minutes and said "you're good to go, have a nice day".

·
MY05SSR
588 Posts
I think you need to find a new dealership. That dealer quoted you "an hour to an hour-and-a-half" in order to justify the $100/hour labor fee. My dealership had it done in 5 minutes and said "you're good to go, have a nice day".
When they did mine at took about 20 minutes

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
I purchased two Fobs from Ebay, think I paid around $15 and the Locksmith programmed all three of my Fobs, took about 20 minutes and cost $40.00. That Dealership really is trying too get too You or have.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,883 Posts
He sounded honest over the phone! lol I'll be looking around for prices more in line with what you guys are experiencing.

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,171 Posts
Just to sort of defend the dealer person. Some don't have a choice as they are instructed to charge a minimum 1 hour labor for anything they do. That is about $100. Not really the guys fault. He is following orders or could get fired. Time to go somewhere else though. I use a lock smith as we have a very good one in town and not too expensive. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
The dealer I used in Conroe charged $55. I talked to the tech that did it and asked what the flat rate time was, he said he got paid .5 hrs to program remotes and since he has done it hundreds of times he can do it in half that time. That's how good techs make money.
The locksmith I went to said he could program them but was unsuccessful after fumbling around with the laptop for 30 min. and did not charge me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts