Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 6 speed but I think it may be overpriced . Ricochet Silver, 6 speed, looks like it has everything but the running boards and hitch, 65,000 miles, very good condition except driver seat is showing wear. They are asking 26,900. I was thinking 24,000. I would appreciate your opinions.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,614 Posts
Donnymo, You know the old saying----"All they can say is No" Offer what you think it's worth, with a little wiggle room, and go from there. But, if it is everything you want, don't wait too long to close the deal. Opinions of value are all over the place. Have you looked at any others to compare? Also--
Welcome from Forney Texas!!!-----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then, when you get one, if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
I found a 6 speed but I think it may be overpriced . Ricochet Silver, 6 speed, looks like it has everything but the running boards and hitch, 65,000 miles, very good condition except driver seat is showing wear. They are asking 26,900. I was thinking 24,000. I would appreciate your opinions.
:smile2:
That asking price is pretty close to (spot on) only IF the owner can demonstrate to you that he has added several after-market needed/necessary items that many others have already added to theirs.

Examples would be a better engine fan plus secondary fan up front (Simple Engineering) has these. Also the stiffening plate for under the front end. Another bracket mid way back for frame flexing concerns. Have all the struts for the hood/top mechanism and cargo cover been replaced?? How about the step motors for the instrument panel?? Has it been repainted, does it have a clutch replacement (LS7)........etc. etc.

What else is part of the deal. Does it have chrome wheels (without curb rash), any aftermarket running boards,.............Mine had (all of the above), new paint job was just over 5K and I haven't listed all of the other extras.......including items prior owner gave me that I have since sold.

I'm gonna guess the one you're looking at doesn't have all or a good deal of these "mods", so (to me) if that is the case, the asking price it kinda high and your pending offer is a little low.:wink2:

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,296 Posts
What options does it have or not have? Chrome wheels, bed carpet, aux gauges, running boards? Check the important things to make sure you are not getting into the money pit repair bill truck that can zap all the fun out of a vehicle. Check the top, check the rear bed cover do they both open and close easily? Check the hood does it stay open or do the struts bleed and let it close by itself. Look at the fan has it been upgraded? How does it ride going down the road? Does the front bounce after it hits a bump in the road? How are the tires?

If it needs struts on any of these things that will run about $100 each location. Check the top hydraulics with the roof compartment open but the top still up. Is there leaking around the cylinders? If one is leaking the others will be shortly behind and that is not a cheap repair about $1000 for the complete rebuild of cylinders. If it still has the original fan you will probably end up upgrading that and that can be from a couple hundred to $500 depending on how you go about it. Tires can run over $1000 for all 4. There are cheaper options. If it is needing struts then you are looking at about $400 to replace them and the rear shocks.

If you are wanting the optional chrome wheels they will normally run you about $1000 to upgrade to them. If you want the bed carpet kit look at atleast $750 for that option. Running boards about $600. Gauges seem to run about $750.

Now lets start looking at the condition of the interior. If the satin trim is lifting or just showing its age and you want to upgrade that, then you can spend another couple hundred to $500 depending on what all you replace.

Also look over the weather strips around the roof, tonneau cover and bed cover. Some of these are no longer available so you have to find them in good used condition.

Now I know I just made a big lists of things to look at but if it needs all of them then yes it is over priced and you will be unhappy when you are working on fixing stuff rather than out driving and enjoying it. But if it is perfect and needs nothing then compare it to what else is out there and available in your area. Also check others on line and see what they are asking.

A couple other things to look at that can cost you a little more down the road, Are the cup holders there, are the mounts on the console side good? Are the key fobs there and the correct ones? Center caps all good? Does it have a cargo net and cargo bar in the bed? Floor mats, dash mat bed mat?

And one more thing, go to Simple Engineering and start looking at upgrade parts for things you might want to add to the truck. Also use that to see if the truck has any of these upgrades so you know what is there. If it is at a dealer they tend to not have a clue about these things or what the cost of them are.

I hope I didn't burst your bubble because the SSR is a neat truck and fun to drive and own, but they come with their own group of problems. The best thing is you know where to find the answers and the people who can help you when problems do come up.

Good luck

Oh and does it come with the trailer hitch? That is another 300-400 dollars depending on new or used and if you want it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Your looking at a vehicle that's 12 years old with an avg of 5500 miles a year which is nothing. If the bodies straight, no accidents, everything works , it drives smooth and straight then you have to do what feels right for you. The 05's-06's are in that price range depending on what accessories they came with chrome rims, chrome trim, gauges, bed carpeting, etc. Your offer seems fair and would be a good place to start, one thing in your advantage is there are not a lot of people looking for SSR's its a select few who are.
My biggest suggestion would be to try and hook up with a fanatic close by you who has some knowledge of what to look for and is willing to take a look at it with you. You can always give them an offer see what they say and then sit on it a few days see if they will come down. If you can't do that then make your best deal and enjoy it, as far as any needed repairs or updates make a list up and do the most important ones first, thats what I did. Post the vin if you have it I am sure Cash can tell if its been in any accidents or where it's been the last 12 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow you guys are awesome! The VIN is 1GCES14H75B117690. Cash if you can help I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
click on your name click view public profile, then press on about me list of things pop up fill out what you want, basically where your located after you get your R you can fill that out.

·
Bad is Good
293 Posts
in photos ext. temp gauge looks like its not working. photos are showing car idling and volts show charging but no ext. temp

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,388 Posts
in photos ext. temp gauge looks like its not working. photos are showing car idling and volts show charging but no ext. temp
What photos???

·
RED SLED
440 Posts
Donnymo, You know the old saying----"All they can say is No" Offer what you think it's worth, with a little wiggle room, and go from there. But, if it is everything you want, don't wait too long to close the deal. Opinions of value are all over the place. Have you looked at any others to compare? Also--
Welcome from Forney Texas!!!-----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then, when you get one, if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy
Nick and Katy Nailed it /\

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Sounds good. Hey your only an hour and a half from Maggie Valley make a run up there next week end we are having a rally up there you will get to see over 90 plus trucks at one time, get to ask some questions , see what,s been done to the trucks, and meet a hell of a lot of nice people. Car show set for Saturday look up Maggie Valley for details even if you run up for the day it would be worth it. Hope to see you there.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
It certainly looks good.

You need to get it on a rack and check it out underneath. Check for rust and add on's such as stabilizer bars and radiator support. I would also check the suspension.

It has most of the add on's that people are looking for. The chrome wheels, the carpeted bed and slats. The outdoor temp gauge probably doesn't work. The torque gauge may or may not.

It looks good in the picture. List prices are starting points usually just that.

Dave

·
LKMURKY
449 Posts
Donny:
24,500 tops, it is satin interior, not chrome. You can find a better deal on a 6 speed than that at asking price.
Was an exceptionally nice 6 speed at dealership in Toledo for 25,5 two months ago. about 25K miles.
I got an exceptional aquablur with 15K and every chrome option for not much more than they are asking couple months ago.
You can always drive through Columbia, and see mine, although the yellow may not be there after next Wednesday.
IMHO, you can get a better deal from a fanatic than from a dealer, if you are not impatient....
Just put a request for what you want on the for Sale/Wanted section of our message board, there is always someone who is going to sell at some point, and the best maintained best loved best SSR's are owned by fanatics.
Cary
04:yellow:
06:blur:

·
Super Moderator
14,054 Posts
6sp
In MY2005/06 there were 2213 6sp built, represent 21% of total production
Overall production including 03/04 when the 6sp was not available shows the 6sp production is 2213/24112 - or just under 11%
Our SSR ownership comprises age 50-85, a lot of old hot rodders or just fans of something very cool.
The orders represented the demand, largely due to our abilities - even the guys that wanted the 6sp but were limited or of the opinion they just wanted a cool cruiser because they no longer wanted to row the gears.

For me, personally, I did not realize the 6sp was available when I bought my first, a 2005.
Once I realized the 6sp was out there, I was on the hunt - 6sp being the prime option of course.

If you want a 6sp, you may pay a bit more depending on your desire, but if you break it down, about 75% of the SSR buyers of the 05/06 wanted the auto.
The 6sp are becoming rarer over time, but still very available - you should not have to pay a big premium, but they are harder to find

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Donnymo.....look thru the SSRs for sale on this Forum....buying from an owner/member will get you all the receipts and background on upgrades. Mine is listed but you would have to like flames!

OLDxR

1 - 20 of 24 Posts