Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2005 VIN 5B116032
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took our truck in for 2 new back tires today. I told husband to get an alignment as we just had 2 front tires put on in May due to inner tire wear. I gave them the specs from Dicktator and they called and said we needed new lower ball joints so we had them replaced also. Went to pick up the truck and I asked the guy that did the alignment if he used the specs I had given him and he said no he aligned to the computer specs. Said that with the specs given to him it would have been to out of wack. Guess I will have to find another place to have the alignment done, hate wasting money and it's my vehicle so they should do as I ask. This was done at a very reputable locally owned tire store and we know the owners personally, they were not there when we picked up the truck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
:unsure::unsure:
Others that know will chime in on this one. If your SSR has (maybe) been lowered, or other changes to the front suspension, the place you took it to couldn't get to the "specs" you desired. Can't remember just what needs to be changed, but there are (options) to get to where you want to be via (Dictators Specs)............as I recall.

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,369 Posts
IF, you have the Steel Radiator Support from Mike Moro aka Simple Engineering, then they can and should align to the specs I posted.

If they refuse, take it to a REAL tire shop.

Because of the Plastic Radiator Support from GM they had TOE in and the CAMBER in to protect the plastic support.

Wears the hell out of the inside of your tire!

My specs AS closes to Neg as they can.

I also recommend Urethane bushings on your front end, amazing difference, also from Mike aka Simple Engineering, LLC – Chevy SSR Aftermarket Parts, Accessories and Repair Solutions (simple-engineering.com)

Dicktator

·
Registered
2005 VIN 5B116032
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IF, you have the Steel Radiator Support from Mike Moro aka Simple Engineering, then they can and should align to the specs I posted.

If they refuse, take it to a REAL tire shop.

Because of the Plastic Radiator Support from GM they had TOE in and the CAMBER in to protect the plastic support.

Wears the hell out of the inside of your tire!

My specs AS closes to Neg as they can.

I also recommend Urethane bushings on your front end, amazing difference, also from Mike aka Simple Engineering, LLC – Chevy SSR Aftermarket Parts, Accessories and Repair Solutions (simple-engineering.com)

Dicktator
Yes we do have the steel radiator support, we will go back and see if they will redo the alignment. Guess what I need from everyone here is proof/explanation that the alignment can and should be done to your specs.i will check out the Urethane bushings.

·
Two Tone Owner
2004 Red & White ROTM-Scranton,Pa.
2,871 Posts
I took mine to an alignment shop and they said they set it to our specs, but the disclaimer is that the truck is old and the rubber bushings are worn. I got 19,000 miles on those tires and they were unsafe to use.
I got new tires and went to a different shop and they set it to our spcs and about 8000 miles later they seen to be running true. They never mentioned the rubber bushings.
I know the tire was unsafe, but I did‘t see it until it was on the lift for service!
DE8C1E1B-E273-4F4D-BEC4-2F1C19017066.jpeg
D31DC8F1-7172-4B1C-B6DD-3C9F602C8CD3.jpeg

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,369 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
@Dinerman recommended Firestone. Make sure you get the lifetime alignment it cost me $179.00. Tell them you have improved the suspension and ask will y’all align it to zero and zero. If they say no go someplace else. Firestone did mine and tires look great. Good luck. 👍🇺🇸🤠

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
29,116 Posts
But you have to remember to give them the specs each time you have it checked or it will go back to stock specs. They do not save your instructions. and even if your local store does they do not share them across their network. I found out the hard way. Lifetime alignment does not mean we know what you want.

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
763 Posts
Dicktator
Should your specs with 0 camber and 0 toe NOT be used with a Plastic Radiator Support? :oops: (I know, I know, get Steel Radiator Support.)

Meanwhile which specs should be used with the original Plastic Radiator Support? o_O

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,437 Posts
Should your specs with 0 camber and 0 toe NOT be used with a Plastic Radiator Support? :oops: (I know, I know, get Steel Radiator Support.)

Meanwhile which specs should be used with the original Plastic Radiator Support? o_O

You bring up a very good question. From my own research on the subject here is what I think on the metal versus plastic support.

The radiator support has one job. That is to support the radiator. In my opinion it does not effect the front end alignment or strengthen the front frame. Think about this for a moment. If the front frame was flexing at all, it would bust the plastic one with in probably the first 50 miles it was driven. They don't, there are some out there with over a hundred thousand miles. If you look at the tabs the radiator supports mount to, they are a thin gauge metal that you can bend with your hand so it is not a structure brace or as strong as the chassis structure is.

The metal radiator support has 3 benefits and very good ones, making them a valuable piece. The first being the original one is no longer available from GM. So that is a huge plus. The second is it is stronger then the plastic and if you would hit some road debris it could save the radiator. Third, it is usually less expensive than the used plastic ones when you can find them and easier to get over a used one.

There have been times when something was on the road and unavoidable, when debris was hit the plastic ones have broken. There have also been times when a metal one was installed and it took the hit and saved the radiator. In todays travels road debris and dead animals are getting more and more common.

And lastly I think it is suggested that if you are getting your truck ready for travels, updating, or doing upgrades on the front end, it is a good idea to make the change to the metal over the plastic. So if you do run into road debris or animals on the road, you have the added protection. While working on the front end it is a good time to do an alignment with the 0 specs to lessen the tire wear issues.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
29,116 Posts
The other thing the steel radiator support does is provide a secure mounting place for the air dam which causes a low pressure area under the engine to pull the hot air down and out. This air dam is often missing because it is mounted to the plastic support with plastic push pins so it comes off if hit and therefore the plastic support lasts longer. with the steel support the air dam can be fastened with nuts and bolts so it does not get lost. The air dam that Simple-engineering sells is a more efficient design as well therefore better cooling.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Our truck is pretty much stock. I don't even think they tried
I would take it back and tell them to align to the specs that You provided. After all you are paying for the service and it is not their place to spend Your money on something You didnt request. Hold tuff and make them redo to your satisfaction.

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,369 Posts
You can align to OEM or Steel specs with a Plastic Radiator Support. If you use the Steel Specs you will or may cause quicker failure of the OEM plastic radiator support. GM had TOE IN and CA|MBER IN to protect, prolong the plastic support.
Plastic support does not transfer road vibration to shocks and springs, it goes to your steering wheel. Go over curb and steering wheel "Shakes" in your hand because PLASTIC support.
Run over something on the road and PLASTIC support is GONE!! Now what is holding radiator and frame? That is why we/most have "upgraded" to STEEL support.

Dicktator

You decide, I have seen some of the worse.
First picture, small raccoon did that, 35mph

Attachments

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I took mine to an alignment shop and they said they set it to our specs, but the disclaimer is that the truck is old and the rubber bushings are worn. I got 19,000 miles on those tires and they were unsafe to use.
I got new tires and went to a different shop and they set it to our spcs and about 8000 miles later they seen to be running true. They never mentioned the rubber bushings.
I know the tire was unsafe, but I did‘t see it until it was on the lift for service!
View attachment 593739 View attachment 593740
My tires looked the same at 25000 miles. At first glance not that obvious but turning on full lock exposed the inside wear!

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,201 Posts
I would take it back and tell them to align to the specs that You provided. After all you are paying for the service and it is not their place to spend Your money on something You didnt request. Hold tuff and make them redo to your satisfaction.
. and we know the owners personally, they were not there when we picked up the truck.
Yep straight back, BUT---talk ONLY to the owners and let them know their people are not giving the customers what they are paying for, in turn hurting their bottom line !!! Maybe even take responsibility for tire wear, just like you will hold them responsible for their setting.

Nick

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
763 Posts
You can align to OEM or Steel specs with a Plastic Radiator Support. If you use the Steel Specs you will or may cause quicker failure of the OEM plastic radiator support. GM had TOE IN and CA|MBER IN to protect, prolong the plastic support.
Dicktator
I asked because, like @Legallyblonde0626 in the opening post, I just had my truck aligned. I asked that it be done according to @Dicktator 's specs. It looks it was done to the GM specs, not @Dicktator 's.

But since my lower radiator support is the original GM plastic one, should I have the alignment redone according to @Dicktator 's specs?

If I understood the above replies correctly, the answer is "not necessary since I have the plastic radiator support" as the @Dicktator specs might actually "cause quicker failure of the OEM plastic radiator support."
Is that correct?
What about tire wear?

o_O :oops::unsure::cautious:

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,566 Posts
Yes, take it back, ask for it to be redone or a refund. If they didn't want to do the job with the specs you furnished when you left the car they should have told you right then!
Is within specs? Yes Will it cause premature wear of tires? possibly -

Radiator support vs alignment -- Radiator support does not change alignment, change in frame flex - minuscule
Don't take my word == This is from Mike in AZ See post #5

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
2,032 Posts
Hope you didn't pay for the alignment

·
Registered
2005 VIN 5B116032
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hope you didn't pay for the alignment
$75.00. Total bill was $777.00. Two new back tires, two front end ball joints and alignment. Last year we put on two new front tires due to inner tire wear, bought at the same place

1 - 20 of 57 Posts