Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Perfectionist
05 Redline, 06 Pac Blue, Spfld, Illinois
755 Posts
$75.00. Total bill was $777.00. Two new back tires, two front end ball joints and alignment. Last year we put on two new front tires due to inner tire wear, bought at the same place
Has anyone looked at the top control arm bushings? How many miles on your truck? The top control arm bushings are notorious for failure. The bottoms tend to last longer, mileage, wear and tear and just plain ole age of the rubber causes them to fail. Let alone that really they are too small for our trucks! an S-10 has beefier bushings and weighs much less. If the shop has not checked them, have them take a flashlight and look in there and see? Also, I would go 0-0 on the alignment no matter what radiator support you have. Autoprof is spot on on this.

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
2,032 Posts
Just had everything checked at 92000mi. All AOK!

·
SSR Believer
2,281 Posts
When we first bought our R it was pulling to the right a little. It already had Mike's radiator support and air dam. Had it aligned right away. Local car club recommended front end shop had zero heartburn setting it to @Dicktator's specs. Said it was a bit out of whack. Drove straight and true afterward.

Took it back a year later after I installed Mike's Bilstein front lowering struts ( plus rear lowering springs and Bilstein shocks). Gave him Dicktator's specs again. Shop owner said that it was good that I did since the drop of about 1.5 inches caused it to be a little off again.

Still driving straight and true (and much, much smoother) with no unusual tire wear. (y)

Agree with others @Legallyblonde0626, I'd take it back and have them do what you told them to do. Since you already know the owners personally, a polite request should do the trick.

·
BLU SSR
3,775 Posts
For all who need to have their SSR front end aligned ...
If your shop can't or won't set it to @Dicktator 's specs...
TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE !!!!
My local GM dealership worked on mine for a day and a half and claimed it could not be done...I told them to tighten things up and get it off the lift cause they were done! Took it directly to a local shop recommended for alignment work and in 1 hour it was done and right on Dictators specs!! This was with me looking over his shoulder and slowing him down every step of the way.
Don't worry, this was 3 or 4 years ago and although I had never had any problems before at this dealership, they have not had another chance with anything but GM required warranty work.

·
Registered
2005 VIN 5B116032
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just got back from tire shop. I talked to the owner and he said they got the alignment as close to zero as they could. He explained about the lower control arm and said that they moved it as much as they could. Not a mechanic so I don't know all the jagon but he said we could bring it back and they will put it it the air and explain to my husband. Told him he can explain it to me. Still such a man's world. LOL. Getting exhaust put on today, we'll see how that goes. Thanks for all the input, you guys and gals are the best

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,432 Posts
I know this is off topic of alignment but still your thread and on subject of the exhaust. I have one truck with Flowmaster and I have been driving it more lately. I have gotten to were I like it even more the more I drive it. Good Luck sounds like a good plan

·
Registered
2005 VIN 5B116032
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I know this is off topic of alignment but still your thread and on subject of the exhaust. I have one truck with Flowmaster and I have been driving it more lately. I have gotten to were I like it even more the more I drive it. Good Luck sounds like a good plan
We went with Flowmaster and 5inch exhaust tips

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,366 Posts
Alignment Specs.

Caster 4.25 +/- 0.5 Set to max and equal both sides

Cross Caster 0.0 +/- 0.3

Camber -0.5 +/- 0.5

(CHANGE CAMBER TO ZERO (0)

Toe +0.1 +/- 0.2

(CHANGE TOE TO ZERO (0)

Change Camber to 0 and change Toe to 0 to eliminate inner scuffing.

Wheel lug nut torque 110 lbs MAXIMUM.

HAND torque, DO NOT USE IMPACT unless it has torque settings.

OEM cast wheels will "crack".

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I always ordered my tires from Discount Tire. They don’t do alignment, but they DO rotate for life if you buy the hazard package. Now we know you can’t put the 20’s in front and 19’s on back. So... they have to be broken down to move the tires side to side. Also, I ran the tires right at the top of the pressure range. Particularly after rotation. This wears the center of the tire too.

After my first set of Goodyear’s I went to 5mm over height General Grabbers. Using this plan I’d get about 30k from a set of fronts, and the backs would still look great. Maybe at 1/2 the allowable wear

I also aligned to the Fanatic specs after we all got that figured out. Using this roadmap I Never had another inside wear front tire problem.
I just sold my R w 58,000 miles on it. New tires 1800 miles ago. Those were only the 3 rd set. Given the fact that the Goodyear’s craped the bed at about 20k, I’d say the plan worked.
I only did new tires because of the trip from Georgia to Branson. For weekend cruises I’d have been fine with the older set.
My story on this topic as a 14 year owner.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Took our truck in for 2 new back tires today. I told husband to get an alignment as we just had 2 front tires put on in May due to inner tire wear. I gave them the specs from Dicktator and they called and said we needed new lower ball joints so we had them replaced also. Went to pick up the truck and I asked the guy that did the alignment if he used the specs I had given him and he said no he aligned to the computer specs. Said that with the specs given to him it would have been to out of wack. Guess I will have to find another place to have the alignment done, hate wasting money and it's my vehicle so they should do as I ask. This was done at a very reputable locally owned tire store and we know the owners personally, they were not there when we picked up the truck.
Welcome to owning a SSR. I have had problems with front end alignment on my 04 SSR. I replaced all ball joints & Struts shortly after bought Kelly in 2010. Then problems with steering & broken rack & pinion boots. Replace rack & pinion 2020. I bought new tires in May 2020. The tire & auto repair place I had work done at before said Ball joints were bad. After searching for correct parts & ordering them. I finally got her back together. Took back to have alignment done at same place I bought tires. The service manager had no time or mechanics available. COVID was the problem. So I went to place that I had gone to before. Closed. Now Ambulance Garage. So I tried another. They said they would honor the life time alignment once I had bought at other shop.
Again I heard same story that they could not align to DICTATOR front end specs. They got it as close as possible to Chevrolet Specs. Now need front tires again. Honestly? For newer vehicles. Why can't any shop fix them. SSR shares many parts with Trailblazer. I have the leaking charcoal canister that Chevrolet sent recall. No dealers in Toledo Ohio area would work on. WHY? None of the local dealers have mechanics that have knowledge to work on SSR. I have 3 classic cars. A SSR with 166,500 miles. My first two cars I owned way back in 1973 both 1960's cars were easier to work on & find a mechanic than POS newer cars. So if interested? I am selling every thing I own. Cars House, collections & my 2 Cats. That way when Cancer kills me. I will have nothing left.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Welcome to owning a SSR. I have had problems with front end alignment on my 04 SSR. I replaced all ball joints & Struts shortly after bought Kelly in 2010. Then problems with steering & broken rack & pinion boots. Replace rack & pinion 2020. I bought new tires in May 2020. The tire & auto repair place I had work done at before said Ball joints were bad. After searching for correct parts & ordering them. I finally got her back together. Took back to have alignment done at same place I bought tires. The service manager had no time or mechanics available. COVID was the problem. So I went to place that I had gone to before. Closed. Now Ambulance Garage. So I tried another. They said they would honor the life time alignment once I had bought at other shop.
Again I heard same story that they could not align to DICTATOR front end specs. They got it as close as possible to Chevrolet Specs. Now need front tires again. Honestly? For newer vehicles. Why can't any shop fix them. SSR shares many parts with Trailblazer. I have the leaking charcoal canister that Chevrolet sent recall. No dealers in Toledo Ohio area would work on. WHY? None of the local dealers have mechanics that have knowledge to work on SSR. I have 3 classic cars. A SSR with 166,500 miles. My first two cars I owned way back in 1973 both 1960's cars were easier to work on & find a mechanic than POS newer cars. So if interested? I am selling every thing I own. Cars House, collections & my 2 Cats. That way when Cancer kills me. I will have nothing left. View attachment 593903
FYI? Still can't find the oil pressure sender. I looked, felt around & found nothing. Now check engine light is on & can't figure out what Bank 1 & Bank 2 are. Guess the engine is going to blow up?? I used the enclose picture as a guide. Mike in Arizona sent it to me. Nope not on my SSR

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took our truck in for 2 new back tires today. I told husband to get an alignment as we just had 2 front tires put on in May due to inner tire wear. I gave them the specs from Dicktator and they called and said we needed new lower ball joints so we had them replaced also. Went to pick up the truck and I asked the guy that did the alignment if he used the specs I had given him and he said no he aligned to the computer specs. Said that with the specs given to him it would have been to out of wack. Guess I will have to find another place to have the alignment done, hate wasting money and it's my vehicle so they should do as I ask. This was done at a very reputable locally owned tire store and we know the owners personally, they were not there when we picked up the truck.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2006 Pac Blue FPR Auto
2,365 Posts
Just had everything checked at 92000mi. All AOK!
It seems that SSR's are all over the place when it comes to parts wearing out and needing replacement. Some owners get almost twice the life out of certain parts as others. As they say, Individual results may vary.

Dave

21 - 40 of 57 Posts