Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from one of the largest volume ssr dealers in Ohio who told me that cars are allocated to dealers and can't be ordered exactly as i want it. IS THAT TRUE?

·
Registered
152 Posts
new dealer?

If a small town Minnesota dealer can order what my friend wanted and deliver in less than 6 weeks have to wonder what the Ohio big boy is smoking... and why they would give you a line of this nature....

·
Registered
218 Posts
I live in a middle size town and I am able to order a 2005 SSR the way I wanted it :)

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
What did you want to order??

It might surprise you to know that the dealer might be telling the truth!!! First of all the dealers can't just order a SSR anytime he wants. He has to wait for his allocation to come up. It then depends on what the customer is wanting to order at that time. If the customer wanted something that is on constraint the dealer won't be able to order it. The dealer has to take what the GM Production System allows him to order. Maybe better said another way, he can only order what is available in the GM Production System to build at the time his allocation is up for ordering. i.e. if chrome wheels aren't available at the time of allocation then the dealer can't order them! (I know this for a fact) because that happened to my order and it had to go in the GM Ordering System without the Chrome Wheel option or my dealer would have "lost" his allocation/ slot for my SSR order.

I haven't tried to spec out an 05 for an order but I bet there are some other constraints i.e. for sure the 6 speed manual tranny, or maybe the new Aqua Blurr paint, or maybe the wind break, or any other option that could be on hold/constraint. It could be a quality concern or perhaps the supplier can't get up to speed and meet demand.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Salesman (or woman) Might Be Limited

ronarn said:
I just returned from one of the largest volume ssr dealers in Ohio who told me that cars are allocated to dealers and can't be ordered exactly as i want it. IS THAT TRUE?
Even though this was technically untrue, I suspect a lot of salespeople are telling similar tales. Management has likely been burned by ordering a special set of options for a prospective customer, only to be stuck with a "hard-to-sell". Even though they can require nonrefundable deposits and presales, most are going to avoid the bad press associated with sticking someone this way. I suspect the problem is compounded with a rare (to order) bird like the SSR. Especially if they look around and see dealers stuck with several that aren't moving.

I say just go to another dealer who will give (at a price) you what you want. This is business! Sometimes you have to shop around for the best fit to you, whether it's price, service, proximity, relationship, or...special order option lists.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Marc NY is right! The same thing happened to me when I ordered my '03 with the gauge package. The "new" owner of the dealership flirted with the idea of cancelling my order and replacing it with his own order that he would then sell at a $5M markup. His reasoning was that they couldn't get the vehicle like I wanted it, so they could screw me and make more short term money. It was a short lived idea after my friend, the fleet manager, set him straight. So I got it without the gauges, which turned out to be a waste of money anyway. :agree

1 - 7 of 7 Posts