Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the GM-Truck.com website.

Home First Drive- 2005 Chevrolet SSR

First Drive- 2005 Chevrolet SSR
Written by Zane Merva

Wednesday, 22 September 2004

GM-Trucks.com drives and previews the new 2005 SSR with the 390hp LS2 engine!

The SSR is a great idea. Its a limited edition, low volume convertible retro truck that looks cool and is an instant attention magnet to those who drive them. There’s only three problems; the SSR weighs over 4,700 lbs, only comes in an automatic, and only has 300hp. This equated to a rather disappointing experience when we first drove the SSR over a year ago, but for 2005 Chevy has addressed two of these problems, and that more than makes up for the third. Now standard is the new LS2 engine from the all new C6 Corvette, with horsepower down 10 to 390, but torque up 5 to 405. Also on the roster is a new 6-speed manual transmission as an option. All of a sudden, the world becomes whole. The difference between 04 and 05 is night and day. No longer is the SSR a snazzy boulevard cruiser that’s dressed up with no motivation to go, but a growling monster that you can slam into 2nd gear and hear the tires chirp behind you. Ohhhh yeaaaah, that’s what we’re talking about!!
Pretty much nothing else has changed for the new model year, but driving the SSR is a whole new game. Those who bought the 03 and 04 models better put them in the classifieds pretty soon or they risk a huge drop in value once the new models hit the ground. The SSR still doesn’t handle like a true sports “car”, and feels larger than it is, but the experience is one you have to try for yourself. The convertible hardtop is defiantly still the slickest part of the SSR. Up and down in about 20 seconds, you can enjoy the sunny day to its fullest, or pop around during the pouring rain all the same.
If you like attention, lots of attention, then this truck is most definitely for you. With a starting price of $45,000, the SSR isn’t a cheap thrill, but then again, there’s nothing on the market like it. You also better act quick, the SSR isn’t slated to be redesigned once its model run is over, so once its gone, its gone for good.

Last Updated ( Saturday, 25 September 2004 )

Went to the Chevy exhibit at the local fair today and saw two '05's in the same place plus a C6. Other than that, I like my one of a few '03's instead of one of
the many thousand '05's.
I have my '67 327 4-speed if I feel the need to shift something hot.
Just thought you guys would enjoy the article.
:cool

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Sell my 03?

I don't think so! Not only do I have a low VIN, 479, I don't care if it drops in value, because I have it and I drive it and use it in parades and car shows. GM is just trying to boost the SSRs slumping sales. Sure, I'd like the 05, but not for now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts