Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my engine light come on today. It is a P0446 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction. Did a search for the code....could not find anything with that code on an SSR with the LS-2, just the Chevy Siverado's Was wondering if anyone could reply with any information that will help me fix the problem.

2005 SSR; Automatic; 22,000+ miles.

thanks

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Check your gas cap. My other truck codes similar to that,it's always the gas cap.YMMV:grin2:

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Loose cap. Take it off and put it back on. In my Ram diesel it clears the light out before I leave the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I would suspect faulty vent solenoid. Measure resistance of solenoid , I believe about 10-20 ohms is spec. If you find less than 10 or over 1000 you have found problem. It might take some "trips" to turn off light.

Loose gas cap typically sets a code for small or large evaporative system leak. NOT a circuit fault that his set.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P-0446 Engine Code Cleared On A 05

Well looks like it had "something" to do with the gas filler cap. After reading the below replies to my posting I loosened then tightened the gas cap. The code cleared after I would say 3 small round trips to a couple local cruise nights over a period of about 1 week. Went to one this past Wednesday.....on the way there the check engine light was still on. When I started it up to go home it was out. Had it out again last night and still looking like it is cleared.
Thanks for the replies. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
:crying:

You are lucky for sure. For the second time, my Avalanche a few months ago came up with a similar code and the dash message.........."tighten fuel cap". Well, a few yrs ago, with the same scenario, I bought a new gas cap. Problem not solved. There are two other (potential) culprits.....the vent valve solenoid and also the canister. One is under the truck close to the tank and the other is on top of the engine block.

The event a few yrs ago, the gas cap did not solve, but the solenoid under the truck replaced did solve it. So for about $30--$40, I was good to go. Not the case on my most recent repeat episode. I ignored (replace the gas cap), and went with a new solenoid......didn't solve it. So I went with the other deal on top of engine.......didn't solve it........So, as a last result (after applying vasoline to the cap gasket.....) I bought a new one again.:frown2: Didnt help.

There is such a thing known as a "smoke test".........they inject smoke into the system and look for where it comes out/shows up. In my case, right on top side of gas tank. So removal of tank and subsequent replacement of the "vent" line (chewed up by squirrels):frown2::frown2::frown2:) cost me close to $500 overall.:|

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Well looks like it had "something" to do with the gas filler cap. After reading the below replies to my posting I loosened then tightened the gas cap. The code cleared after I would say 3 small round trips to a couple local cruise nights over a period of about 1 week. Went to one this past Wednesday.....on the way there the check engine light was still on. When I started it up to go home it was out. Had it out again last night and still looking like it is cleared.
Thanks for the replies. :smile2:
I have my fingers crossed you don't have any more problems - but if the code you reported is correct I do not believe the light went off because of the gas cap. I would tend more to think that the vent solenoid was stuck - but then freed up.
Not to worry though - this will not leave you stranded or cause any performance problems

See the code descriptions I posted in this doc.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine was a broken wire at the connector... found after replacing the sensor. New connector, a couple of crimp connections and some heatshrink. Under $50

1 - 10 of 10 Posts