Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a engine control moduel from a running 2005 (automatic). I ordered one from a online supplier and had it programed to my vin but the engine will not start (no spark). I think any 6.0L engine ssr moduel will work- my part #12595928. Jan

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
I am not sure what/who diagnosed your problem as bad ECM, not common!

Crank no start can be caused by many problems --

I apologize in advance if this has been checked - or power to ignition coils has been confirmed.

check fuses 29 and 36 of underhood fuse box (these supply power to ignition coils on each side of engine) for 12 volts on both sides of fuse with key in on position. (DO NOT CHECK BY LOOKING AT FUSE - USE test equipment)
If no voltage on either side of fuse -- possible failure of relay 42 or fuse box problem

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,234 Posts
looking for a engine control moduel from a running 2005 (automatic). I ordered one from a online supplier and had it programed to my vin but the engine will not start (no spark). I think any 6.0l engine ssr moduel will work- my part #12595928. Jan
could be crank sensor:|:|

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure what/who diagnosed your problem as bad ECM, not common!

Crank no start can be caused by many problems --

I apologize in advance if this has been checked - or power to ignition coils has been confirmed.

check fuses 29 and 36 of underhood fuse box (these supply power to ignition coils on each side of engine) for 12 volts on both sides of fuse with key in on position. (DO NOT CHECK BY LOOKING AT FUSE - USE test equipment)
If no voltage on either side of fuse -- possible failure of relay 42 or fuse box problem
the code scanner listed a serial buss communication problem and I sent it in for repair; they claimed it was unrepairable due to a buss short. I bought a new engine controller with vinprograming. Using a inline spark indicator no spark is noted and after cranking a plug is not wet indicating the injectors are not working. Voltage is present at fuse 29 and 36 and the fuzes were tested ok and replaced with the same results. The only problem found was a blown fuze 23 which prevented cranking. There are no new codes on the code scanner. This is why I would like to get a known good engine controller to see if the programing is correct. Jan

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
The fuse box issue will shut down the injectors AND the ignition coils - but you won't have voltage at both sides of the fuse or at one side of the coils or injectors.

Realize that the 05 and 06 models years have TWO serial data lines - class 2 (low speed) for most modules and CAN high speed controller area network) used by the ECM and TCM. The ECM is the gateway module and will translate the class 2 data to CAN data and visa versa.

In most cases the module that set the fault IS NOT the one that is at fault -- it can be if it is the gateway module. Usually the computer at fault can't communicate, so all of the other modules are telling the system "HEY, there is a problem - one of the modules is not reporting in" You can sometimes determine this depending on code number - sometimes if the module (or data line) is shorted to power or ground the entire network will go down and you can't tell this ---

What code number was set?
Which module set the code?
Are there any codes listed in other modules _ your code reader may not be capable of this.
Can you retrieve data from (communicate) with the ECM?
What does the cranking rpm read while cranking - as mentioned their could be a fault with the crank sensor.
What happened before the problems -- blown fuse, serial network shorted. - Was truck possible jump started incorrectly or somebody installing electrical accessories? Just wondering because of the TWO electrical issues. +

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have disassembled the fuze box and high current tested all wires as well as replacing the ignition switch. The car was wrecked where the transmission controller cover was torn off which is next to the ECM. I thought it reasonable that the ECM received enough of a shock to damage it. It has been a while so I don't remember the error code and my reader doesn't id the moduel or display cranking rpm. I will check the crank sensor if I can figure out where it is. Jan

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
I have disassembled the fuze box and high current tested all wires as well as replacing the ignition switch. The car was wrecked where the transmission controller cover was torn off which is next to the ECM. I thought it reasonable that the ECM received enough of a shock to damage it. It has been a while so I don't remember the error code and my reader doesn't id the moduel or display cranking rpm. I will check the crank sensor if I can figure out where it is. Jan
CKP is located near the starter -- three wire sensor -- easily tested with proper scan tool!

YIKES - it was hit hard - You could very well have a broken or pinched wire in the harness after that. I would recommend finding or going somewhere that has the proper equipment -- and knows what they are doing. Repairing network codes can be some of the more confusing diagnostics that need to be performed. It will not be inexpensive going somewhere for diagnostics - but replacing parts without knowing if they are bad and the time to test things that might not require the testing you are performing -- also costs a lot of time and money. If you replace the ECM or the CKP and the engine does start and run, you may develop a lack of performance and a check engine light - instructing you to perform a crankshaft variation relearn. Which is not difficult, but requires an enhanced scan tool (no subscription and Tech 2 NOT required, like ECM reprogram)

Best of luck
I will try to help with more information from an enhanced scan tool -- but really can't do much without some more information.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Engine Control Module from the Parts Manual:

3 Module, Powertrain Control 2005-06 19210071
Do you have an ECM for a 2005? I couldn't tell if you were also looking to buy one, or had one for sale. I nned a part # 192 10 071 for my 2005.
Please contact me as soon as possible, if you do have one for sale.
Thanks,
Ande in Elburn, IL
[email protected]
10/25/18

·
Registered
467 Posts
Search Google for 19210071.
Click on Shopping, then click on "Total Price" to list lowest to highest.
Most, if not all are remanufactured today.
Please be aware that a lot of sites will list it without noting that it is discontinued.
When you order from such a site, they will issue you a refund and cancel the order.
It took a while, but this is how I found mine.
Don't forget to search eBay also.
Some of the Salvage sites have used for sale.
Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts