Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Super Road Rocket Pilot
It will not bolt up directly 1 to 1. The 03-04 is a single in single out muffler that splits after the outlet. The 05-06 is a single in dual outlet. Some people have modified the 03-04 to have the 05-06 style muffler, modified the pipes after the muffler so they can use the dual outlet 05-06 style muffler........

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
exhaust

I was curious as Cleveland PAP has an 05 complete exhaust exhaust for sale and my 03 needs another muffler. Thanks for the response Dragon2U.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
exhaust

The real question I was wondering is, are the cat connections the same at the front pipe? 5.3 vs 6.0? If indeed they are the same, I will pursue it. I could measure both of mine but they are sleeping for the winter. Thanks for the information gang.

Super Road Rocket Pilot
The 03-04 has an offset inlet for the muffler, the 05-06 is a center inlet.

That being said, there is about a 2 foot distance in front of the muffler to the connection point where the catalytic converters bolt up so there is plenty of room to make adjustments to make the piping enter correctly. You would use your current cat pipe connections then just cut and alter that 2 foot section to make it route properly, the rest after the muffler would be just bolt up.

It should be an easy installation with someone at a muffler shop or a welder with some tubing.

Premium Member
Unless you consider your SSR to be highly collectible and needing to be stock, much simpler to replace with an aftermarket exhaust system. An 05 system on an 03 may or may not be considered stock.

The stock exhaust will need to be cut in a number of spots and rewelded after it is in place. To install a stock exhaust system intact requires a lot of work, including removing the entire rear axle assembly. Unless the original truck was completely disassembled prior to exhaust removal, there will likely be several cuts involved.

Aftermarket systems are precut, typically with slip joints and stainless couplers.

When I replaced the stock system with Mike in AZ's true dual system, I was surprised at the degree of difficulty getting the old system off with minimal cuts. I think we ended up with 4 cuts, in spite of an effort to minimize damage.

Mike can probably give you more accurate information. I'm sure he was involved in disassembly when he was designing his true dual system. That system is no longer available, so don't bug Mike about coming up with some new inventory. He has enough other projects on his plate.

DSTRSSR
I removed my stock exhaust (06) without cutting it up, but as Ray has mentioned you need to drop the rear axle

Kelly

Premium Member
Stock Muffler

I have a stock muffler in the attic that I removed form my '04 when I had it with 18,000 miles on it. You can have it for the shipping. I don't know what it would cost but if your order one it will cost to ship it also.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
muffler

I wonder what it would cost for shipping. It is fairly large. Thanks for the offer, that was very kind of you.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
shipping

Can a greyhound bus carry a 10' exhaust in one piece? That seems pretty long. Just curious.

SSR Pit Crew
Could you have it cut and rewelded using some type of slip on connector? I've never done this, just throwing it out there.

Dave

Supporting SSR Hobbyist
Can a greyhound bus carry a 10' exhaust in one piece? That seems pretty long. Just curious.
in a word..... NO.

Their limitations are:
The maximum weight per package is 100 pounds. The maximum dimensions that can be accommodated are 29" H x 47" W x 82" L.

Those are the size limits of the cargo bay under the bus.

On a separate note..... I went out and measured the critical dimensional points on the 03-04 exhaust system and 05-06 exhaust system that I have here. (Note to self.... got to keep the pipes hidden from view or trouble will start)
I could find no reason that the 05-06 would not drop straight into the 03-04 chassis. All of the mounting points to the frame are in the same place and the two bolt cat flange is in the same location on both system.

If you look up the Magnaflow system, it is the same part number for all four years......

If you have the ability to take a day trip, go visit Cleveland P&P and pick it up in one piece yourself. You don't have to remove the rear axle to put the whole thing in, just drop it far enough to put the system in from the rear.

My two cents,

Mike

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #17
mike

Thanks Mike. Cleveland PAP is one hour from me, so it is not a big deal.
Thanks for the great information as always.

Premium Member
"I have a stock muffler in the attic that I removed form my '04 when I had it with 18,000 miles on it. You can have it for the shipping. I don't know what it would cost but if your order one it will cost to ship it also."

Jack's offer of a "muffler" would not be nearly 10 feet long. More like 12 to 18 inches I would guess.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
shipping

I think you misunderstood my meaning of the post. I was speaking about shipping a complete exhaust system, not just the muffler. Sorry.

Premium Member
The 03-04 has an offset inlet for the muffler, the 05-06 is a center inlet.

That being said, there is about a 2 foot distance in front of the muffler to the connection point where the catalytic converters bolt up so there is plenty of room to make adjustments to make the piping enter correctly. You would use your current cat pipe connections then just cut and alter that 2 foot section to make it route properly, the rest after the muffler would be just bolt up.

It should be an easy installation with someone at a muffler shop or a welder with some tubing.
Thanks Dragon... exactly the information I needed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
rogerdoger
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing