Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a private seller that 2005 is expected to be the last year of production for the SSR?
Does anyone know if this is accurate information

·
Registered
132 Posts
canadian dollar

If I were in the market for a used SSR , a look south of the border could be beneficial where the C$ is up about 27% against US$(.84 vs .66 not that long ago)

Know of one dealer who recently commenced purchasing quite heavily from US. Not to many years ago,maybe 5,the reverse was was going on where US dealers were buying lots of used trucks here in Canada.

Just rambling on here.....

Frank

·
Registered
341 Posts
ssr after 05

is there any truth to the rumer of 05 being the last year? . i have been kicking around getting a ssr for a year or so and with the price drop and increase of the canadian looney versus us green back i am planning on getting one this week. my concern is if they cancell the program, parts will be very hard to get in afew years especiallycollision replacement parts (heaven forbid), but being in collision service industry this is of concern .

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe GM has to build parts or make them available for at least ten years after production of their models.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
cruzned said:
I could be wrong, but I believe GM has to build parts or make them available for at least ten years after production of their models.
I believe that is the law too............... (Hopefully!)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was talking to a supplier at gm canada and they might come out with a watered down version of the ssr , possibly with a non retractable roof , basic sound system and afew other lower options (manual windows and locks .. These units are not going to be like cavaloosers or sunflowers that you can get free with atank of gas ,but are going to be less!!there will be some changes in the body,possibly in 06/07

·
Registered
152 Posts
Decontented SSr

There have been rumors around for months about decontenting the SSr and/or unbundling some of the options from the 1SB package and other standard items. There was also some talk of re-introducing the 5.3l 300HP engine as a 'delete for credit' item. Have also heard of a decontented 'special edition' that would be in one color but with a choice of transmissions only. Would not be surprised to see the Ultra purple brought back, or a dark blue, as the special edition color with what we think of as a 1SA with a few other items from the option list for a great price toward the end of the year if sale volumes remain weak for $39,995

The reality is that the market would give up some of the standard equipment for a price drop. For example, many of the buyers in the north (and, I assume in Canada) would be happy to have the 1SA truck but really would like the heated seats which, to get, one has to buy the 1SB....

I was in Ontario (Canada) visiting last week over Thanksgiving and noticed that most of the dealers there have ordered their '05's with 1SA and the compartment trim only as the rest of the options are available via parts (other than some of the 1SB stuff) at about the same as factory pricing. They even have a way of doing the heated seats w/o going the 1sB route (which costs C$2900)... BTW, if you think the options are expensive in USA they are a real rip in Canada in my view!

Anyway.... price, has been an issue for some time now and the introduction of some changes, particularly the addition of LS2 engine and the 6 speed, has not done much for sales. The market says this should be a $37-40k product and not the $44-50k truck it has become.

:angel

drc

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For what it's worth, my dealer also told me that 2005 would be the last year for the SSR.

·
Registered
349 Posts
2005 The Last Year?

What do any of these dealers know? We all knew much more about every aspect of the SSR (from concept to prototype to introduction to problems) than any dealer anywhere.

It's obvious that most people that could afford one already have one by now! It will always be a limited production vehicle (thankfully). I sure would like to see an all wheel drive model, and a few more color choices, before they quit. It seems unbelievable that GM would make this huge investment to sell just a few thousand units, then shutdown and retool again (in such a short time) to build something else. :rant

·
Registered
131 Posts
Peaches said:
What do any of these dealers know? We all knew much more about every aspect of the SSR (from concept to prototype to introduction to problems) than any dealer anywhere.

It's obvious that most people that could afford one already have one by now! It will always be a limited production vehicle (thankfully). I sure would like to see an all wheel drive model, and a few more color choices, before they quit. It seems unbelievable that GM would make this huge investment to sell just a few thousand units, then shutdown and retool again (in such a short time) to build something else. :rant
Hard to say whether I would be happy to know that small production numbers means higher resale and collectors values. Or to think the thought that the SSR may see a price reduction in order to get the numbers up. That would be a real bummer.

Hmmmmm! I think the limited low production sounds great now!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I really feel when the old stock is gone and warm weather comes around, the value will stabilize and perhaps increase, especially if they stop production.

If some one wants a SSR this spring and there is no old stock, they will have to pay somewheres in the mid 40's for an 05. Granted bigger motor & 6 sp, but still in the 40's. The alternative would be a used SSr . I would still pay $7500 less for an 04 than for an 05.(even though I spent about $12,000 less).

Not to sound selfish, but I would love to see them stop making the SSR after 05, this would certainly make it a limited production vehicle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Doubt Spring will not bring higher values.......

The reality is that there still is a lot of new inventory of the 5.3 series of the SSr in dealer stock.

There were about 14 thousand 03/04's made and, as of the the of October, about half still in dealers' hands. The low cost financing programs and some dealers (like Paddock in Buffalo) electing to bit the bullet and sell new trucks for <$35k may have brought the dealer stock levels down a bit but there remains a large number of new 5.3's around.

WTS, the 6.0 [email protected] SSr is being made at the rate of about 70 per day (I am told) and sales are no where near that level such that inventories of the new series of SSr is accumulating and is likely to do so through March or April unless the Craft Center is put on extended downtime or sales take off. I believe that sales will move to the 70 per day rate in the spring but that many of them will be none current as the price gap is significant now (i.e. $10k) and is likely to widen further as dealers grow tired of carrying the trucks & come to see that the are effectively used or very non current vehicles (note that many dealers really got burned with their '03 C5's) and will therefore provide more discount to compete with the high quality/low cost SSr's in the used market.

Despite the doom and gloom in the sales area, do not be surprised if the SSr runs for at least one more year as it has been a successful "halo vehicle" for Chevrolet Division and a lot of the senior boys seem to like it.

:seeya

·
Registered
133 Posts
SSRGUY,

I believe the Dealers created the low prices, selling at such discounts. In my area and in NJ I have seen several 04s move from the Dealers lots in the last 30 days and some of them are selling at $39 -$40,000.

I really cant see the Dealers selling any less than $33,000. On Long Island Dealers absolutely will not budge from $39,000, at this point.

·
Registered
152 Posts
LI No Western NY YES

Perhaps not but there are dealers in Westen NY and other areas that are selling mid 30k's. This is reality and the market.

:seeya

1 - 15 of 15 Posts