Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 04 last week, the dealer said he had heard that 2005 would be the last year for SSR production. Was he just BS'ing me? Whether it is true or not, it wouldn't have swayed my decision. I LOVE THIS CAR!

·
Registered
413 Posts
im sure it was not origional plans but if sales dont increase I can see it being discontinued

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Not so good GM news

I had heard early on that there was to be a three year production - and have heard that GM will make them for awhile. I guess the market will help make that decision. I would have been OK if the production would have stopped at 1741....

From Detroit Free Press: http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/gm28e_20041028.htm

More GM layoffs point to slow sales
BY SARAH A. WEBSTER
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

October 28, 2004

General Motors Corp. has told more than 9,000 workers at five plants that primarily make SUVs and pickups that they will be laid off for a week or more early next year as the company continues to reduce production of its vehicles.

That is in addition to the indefinite layoff of 900 workers in Pontiac disclosed by GM last week.

GM's decision to tell workers about production slowdowns more than two months before the start of the new year seems to signal that the automaker is nervous about the upcoming sales year and its inventory levels, after reporting disappointing earnings results in the third quarter.

The world's largest automaker is scheduled to announce its first-quarter production forecast to the public in December. That's when the full scope of its cutbacks for the first three months of the year will become clear. While the five plants are on shutdown, hourly workers will see their pay drop about 30-35 percent. The shutdowns will follow the normal holiday breaks.

Lansing Craft Centre, which builds the Chevrolet SSR pickup. The plant, which employs about 300 hourly workers, will have extended downtime the week of Jan. 3.

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Cut Backs!

kwhopper89 said:
I had heard early on that there was to be a three year production - and have heard that GM will make them for awhile. I guess the market will help make that decision. I would have been OK if the production would have stopped at 1741....

From Detroit Free Press: http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/gm28e_20041028.htm

More GM layoffs point to slow sales
BY SARAH A. WEBSTER
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

October 28, 2004

General Motors Corp. has told more than 9,000 workers at five plants that primarily make SUVs and pickups that they will be laid off for a week or more early next year as the company continues to reduce production of its vehicles.

Lansing Craft Centre, which builds the Chevrolet SSR pickup. The plant, which employs about 300 hourly workers, will have extended downtime the week of Jan. 3.
HI Keith,

Just to let you know we here at Powertrain already had some of our production cut big time. The L-850/ 2.2 Ecotec was down for a week. Other lines are reducing OT and schedules are coming in lower than expected. Again, another one-week layoff will be in set sometime in November. There are also talking about closing the whole complex one extra week before Christmas and some more time off in January.

FYI: I had noted in an earlier threads (where SSRGUY had also warned us) awhile back that higher inventories would signal some big cut backs unlike what we have seen in recent times.

Ps. Check in another thread I got a reply from a friend at the SSR plant who stated that demand is WAY down! :(

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While attending the SSR media event at the Woodward Dream Cruise, I posed the "05 last year" question to a "higher up" member of the Lansing Assembly team and his response was that plans are to hopefully build "until turn of the decade". I also got the hint of all wheel drive in the future. I am anxiously awaiting my next SSR with upgraded, stylish interior, all wheel drive and more horses! I was going to replace my rapidly depreciating (Thanks GM) 03 with an 05, but traded 03 on a year round truck and will await the SSR in a few years when All Wheel Drive hopefully arrives!

Too bad Chrysler didn't build the SSR! We would have had engine options right from the beginning followed by all wheel drive within its first year of production!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts