Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
undefinedHello! I just subscribed to this forum. I've been visiting it for the past 4 months but didn't feel priveleged to subscribe until I paid the dues of SSR ownership. Yesterday I placed my order for a 2005 Slingshot Yellow ISB, Running Boards, Accessory Gauge Package SSR. This is after having spent last weekend with a demonstrator 2004 Slingshot Yellow one which I drove over 200 miles. As soon as I got it home I washed it with the Mr. Clean AutoDry system and detailed it myself...great way to check for water leaks and quality control of fit and finish...perfecto I might add. I drove a red one before Easter and the yellow one a few weeks ago. The dilema was to go for the '04 or for the '05. The SSR marketing manager at Chevrolet, a fellow named Bob, spent 30 minutes on the phone with me last Monday and I decided to go for the '05. He said that the dealer could order me one now. The '04s will be still produced until the end of the 3rd week of August. The steering has been revamped, the exhaust system modified to remove the roar in the cockpit between 1500 & 1800 rpm, and of course the 405 ft/lbs of torque with the 390 hp 6.0 LS-2 engine made all the difference. My son told me to hold out solely for the MP3 player on the '05 radio. All the improvements he discussed were areas of concern from living with the vehicle over the weekend. Off the line a Dodge diesel blew me away. Cruising at 40 mph was noisy at times, and slow speed and parking steering was stiff. Price hike about $500 over '04. The dealer is selling me the '05 for get this.........$217 over factory invoice! By the way, my 2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo with the Stage 1 upgrade (240 hp) at 3200 lbs may be an '04 SSR beater. ROB KERN
1957 300C Chrysler Hardtop, 2002 Escalade, 2002 Ford Thunderbird, 2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo Stage 1, 2003 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, and soon 2005 SSR

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Congrats!

Welcome aboard to a great forum with much info and that is tons of fun too... Hmm it sounds like you have real loving friends at GM and at the Dealership Level. It is great that the dealer let you borrow some of their SSRs a few different times to tool around town with and even have one for the weekend too! NICE :yesnod

You are correct that the last 04 is scheduled build out in Aug. (final one will be on Aug 20th. First 05 on should start on Monday the 23rd). Interesting that you mention that there is a roar in the cockpit between 1500 & 1800 RPMs ... I haven't noticed it and I don't think I heard anyone mention that in any threads here... have to look for that one.

You say the dealer is willing to sell you an 05 for just $217 over invoice??? Why such an odd number? It seems strange to me that he would sell an 05 so close to invoice already when there are still a lot of 03s and 04s going for more than that right now... including his demo that you were driving? Hmmm... your dealer must like you tons!!! I wonder what he wants for is demos??? lol

Was there anymore options you ordered? Keep us posted on your order status...

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
exhaust noise

I have noticed an exhuast rumble between 1500-1800rpm in lower gears since I first got the SSR. I am now getting the exhaust offered to us for a great price from Mofo (hoping that it won't have the same problem). I recently was reading a Popular Science from June of last year when I saw a one page write up on the guy whose job it was to get rid of that rumble. My first thought was "well he didn't do a very good job". Maybe he's finally fixed it or they hired someone else who could.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer in my home town originally started off with a red '03 in his showroom....said he was offered $70K and it was not for sale....this was February, 2004. I called Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, Idaho (we ski there one week each January with a group of Navy folks we served with). Dave Smith sells only GM and Chrysler. All vehicles he sells are for $217 over invoice. So I went to my dealer the day before Easter this year when he had advertised a red 2004 that was for sale. He let me drive it for an afternoon. When I brought it back I asked fror his best price....$50K. I said adios! He called back a week later and said that he was due to receive a yellow one. He said I could have it for MRSP. I said that I could get whatever one I wanted from Dave Smith for $217 over dealer invoice. He doubted me. So I told him the 800 number, the web site address and the name of the sales person I spoke with. 3 days later the dealer called me back and said he would meet the Dave Smith price and wanted to know what color I wanted. At the time I was interested in purple. 6 hours later he called me back and stated he located a purple one nearby...I told him the dealer from which he found it and that I already spoke to him and that the dealer would match my price of $217 over invoice. So the dealer calls me back again and states that he will dealer swap for the purple one. At this time I've been reading on SSR Fanatic about proposed '05 changes. I call the dealer back and tell him how impressed I am with his eagerness to please and get me in an SSR. I decide to wait until more comes out on the '05. He understands and states that his offer is good anytime. Fast forward now to July 10th when my son comes home for a visit and wants to test the SSR. The dealer gives us the yellow one for an afternoon and offers to sell it to me for Dealer invoice! I decide to hold for the '05. The next weekend on the 17th of July the dealer calls me and wishes me to take the SSR home and keep it to Monday pm. So I took him up on the offer. Monday, July 19th, I chat with Bob in Detroit, head of SSR marketing and get the info. on the 2005. I take it back to the dealer and ask him to let me know when I can order the 2005. This Saturday, July 24th he orders me the 2005 at true to his word...$217 over dealer invoice! My colleague ordered a 2005 Corvette from him the same week. Go figure....From not for sale at $70K to an ordered 2005 at $217 over dealer invoice in a little over 4 months with about 300 miles of demonstrator use between 2 SSRs. I consider myself lucky and that this was meant to be. ROB KERN

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Great timing!

A very interesting story indeed! Yes, with that great of a deal your timimg was now for ordering an 05... it sounds like a dream come true. The dealers that holds out for more might get more but your dealer seems like he is true to the way of how he does good business.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your order is doing on here.
:thumbs

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
No '05 pricing yet.

cleavermodels said:
The dealer in my home town originally started off with a red '03 in his showroom....said he was offered $70K and it was not for sale....this was February, 2004. I called Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, Idaho (we ski there one week each January with a group of Navy folks we served with). Dave Smith sells only GM and Chrysler. All vehicles he sells are for $217 over invoice. So I went to my dealer the day before Easter this year when he had advertised a red 2004 that was for sale. He let me drive it for an afternoon. When I brought it back I asked fror his best price....$50K. I said adios! He called back a week later and said that he was due to receive a yellow one. He said I could have it for MRSP. I said that I could get whatever one I wanted from Dave Smith for $217 over dealer invoice. He doubted me. So I told him the 800 number, the web site address and the name of the sales person I spoke with. 3 days later the dealer called me back and said he would meet the Dave Smith price and wanted to know what color I wanted. At the time I was interested in purple. 6 hours later he called me back and stated he located a purple one nearby...I told him the dealer from which he found it and that I already spoke to him and that the dealer would match my price of $217 over invoice. So the dealer calls me back again and states that he will dealer swap for the purple one. At this time I've been reading on SSR Fanatic about proposed '05 changes. I call the dealer back and tell him how impressed I am with his eagerness to please and get me in an SSR. I decide to wait until more comes out on the '05. He understands and states that his offer is good anytime. Fast forward now to July 10th when my son comes home for a visit and wants to test the SSR. The dealer gives us the yellow one for an afternoon and offers to sell it to me for Dealer invoice! I decide to hold for the '05. The next weekend on the 17th of July the dealer calls me and wishes me to take the SSR home and keep it to Monday pm. So I took him up on the offer. Monday, July 19th, I chat with Bob in Detroit, head of SSR marketing and get the info. on the 2005. I take it back to the dealer and ask him to let me know when I can order the 2005. This Saturday, July 24th he orders me the 2005 at true to his word...$217 over dealer invoice! My colleague ordered a 2005 Corvette from him the same week. Go figure....From not for sale at $70K to an ordered 2005 at $217 over dealer invoice in a little over 4 months with about 300 miles of demonstrator use between 2 SSRs. I consider myself lucky and that this was meant to be. ROB KERN
I went in to talk with my small home town dealer yesterday and he says he still has no pricing on the '05. I mentioned that you speculated that it would only be a modest $500 increase (approximately.) He said he had no way of knowing. I really figured there would be more of an increase than $500. Just my speculation. Don

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I can't imagine the cost increasing only $500.00. especially with the upgrades! I am sure the dealer is a good salesman and he has you on the hook and he knows you won't change your mind now. But it works out that you are getting exactly what you want! :party

·
Registered
152 Posts
Indicative Pricing

The Base Price on the 03/04 SSr was $41,370. If you go to Chevrolet.com and do a Build Your Own you may have noticed that the Base Price was increased several weeks ago to $42,245, although the late serial #'d trucks that I have seen indicate window stickers of $41,370. :nopity

Having been around GM for a LONG while, may I suggest that we will find that the Base Price for the '05 will be in the order of $42,245 plus a further amount.... perhaps $500, maybe less.... which will end up being in the order of 2-3% over the 03/04 in reality. :nono

In any case, $1000 increase for the improved '05 is not a rip-off, what is questionable (in my mind) is how hight the SSr was priced to begin with..... still believe the SSr needs a $37.5k or less Base Price but could be 'decontented' a bit. Also feel many of the options, particularly the 1SB @ $1900, are WAY over priced...... :banghead

Bring on the '05 and give us some rebates/low cost financing which will bring the market price/dealer costs for the large inventory of 03/04 SSr's into the proper price range before the snow flies......

:party

A

·
0 Posts
2005 Ssr

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I WONDER HOW ANYONE COULD ORDER A 2005 SSR WHEN THE PRICE HASN'T EVEN BEEN SET AS OF YET. I HAVE BEEN WAITING ON THE 2005 AND THE WORD THAT I AM GETTING IS THAT IT CAN'T BE ORDERED BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO INFO ON IT. SO WHEN I SAW THAT SOME GUY ORDERED 1 I THOUGHT HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMM.undefined

T

·
0 Posts
Probably not much more than now considering
the weight difference between the two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts