Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I have a 2005 SSR 6.0 Manual and I am interested in upgrading the performance a bit. Don't quite want to spend the money on a supercharger, was more interested in an intake/induction system and a programmer. However, I'm having a lot of trouble finding either one for the 6.0, everything I'm finding is for the >04 5.3l. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Welcome to the group..
You can try the search function as there are a number of existing threads on the 05/06. Programmers are not quite out since they have changed to a different type of computer control referred to as CAN. I have the same issues with mine plus I'm in California so I'm even more limited to CARB approved parts if I want to pass the smog checks.
Another thought is to look into changing the rear axle ratio (search threads for that as well). Again there is an issue that you'll need some programming to get the speedo to work right with the new gear ratio.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
jschmitt: The only intake system currently available for the 05 / 06 SSR is the one from K&N. They also make a DIFFERENT part number kit for the 03 / 04 SSR, so be sure to get the CORRECT one. They are NOT interchangeable.

hdflstf is correct about cimrotuners not yet being available for the 05 / 06 SSRs, becaue of the change to CAN archittecture for the electronics.

Even the rear axle change is a hassle for 05/06 owners until the 05/06 microtuners become available, as there is no current easy way to change the axle ratio in the computer to match the new ratio, unless you have access to the one of the few tuners in the country who has penetrated the 05 / 06 computer on his own.

If you really want to re-tune the computer on an 05 / 06 right now, the best and easiest option is to contact Lyndon Wester (do a search on the board for his contact info). He can re-rpogram your SSR "remotely".

The biggest bang for perofmrance dollar spent is the rear axle change. Go from 3.73 to 4.56 (Yes, I know it sounds radical, but for reasons explained in my book it is NOT radical on the SSR).

For more info, you can get a copy of my 320 page e-book "The SSR Experience", which covers everything you want to know about the SSR, any model year, by going to:

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=69594#post69594

on this board. The book covers all popular modifications and why / why not to do them.

Jim G
[email protected]

·
Registered
60 Posts
changes fo the ssr

you can get ahold of ron at z industries they can change your emc for you, you haveto also send them your emc and your trans emc also takes about 2 to 3 days to have it done they are located in southern calif. they have been around a long time, did my 95 camaro for me, they charge $450, they have a web site but not sure what it is,you will have to do a search. burt ps you need to send both emc, the one for your eng and the one for your trans.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
More Power

I'm thinking of Nitrous As a cheaper solution for my 04 for the occasional shot of power. Anybody have any experience with this.
Mike

·
A Little BIG JIM
3,351 Posts
jschmitt,

Possibly the best item to get first is Jim G's book I have a copy and It will answer 90percent of your questions I'm sure.

BIG JIM
:cool

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
andtgp: It's an "e-book". When you buy it, I send you. via email, a copy of the book in Acrobat pdf format. If you don't already have Adobe Acrobat Reader, it is FREE software from Adobe, and the email that comes with the book gives you the link to download it if you don't already have it (almost everyone does).

When you open it on-screen, you can:

- Read it on screen
- Print out chapters at a time to read (average chapter is 16 pages)
- Increase magnification on screen to see details in the photos (they are all high resolution and full color)
- Print out checklists that are included for service visits to your Chevy dealer, picking a dealer, picking a high performance shop, etc, as you need them
- Print out individual sections for use in working on your SSR or to show your dealer or high performance shop

Jim G

1 - 10 of 10 Posts