Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
$18,500 - OBO - FOR SALE 2005 Chevrolet SSR red/black
6.0L Corvette engine (fast and fun) This convertible truck is really fun and fast to drive.

Rebuilt title - the rear left (driver) quarter panel was replaced this summer. It looks perfect.
Located in Daleville, Indiana (near Muncie, IN).

ISSUE: The rear bed cover has 5 to 6 dents from something. I do not know how it occurred as the dents were on it before I purchased it. I thought the dents were from hail, but a friend told me it was probably tree nuts because it is only on the rear of the SSR on the bed lift cover. I should have had the dents repaired because it is probably only a $200 repair by a dent repair (PDR) man. Everyone who has looked at these dents stated you cant even see them the cover is so high in the air.

LOADED

Everything seems to be working.

I now have a daughter getting married in 2019 and another daughter in college now and we need the money, so no trades please.

If you are looking for a low priced SSR that is super fun to drive this is the one you want.

PLEASE call me if you are really interested. We need to sell our beloved SSR and I need money for my daughters (765) 577-1361.

Please don't try to scam me. NO shipping calls. Please don't call to help me sell it for a charge.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,369 Posts
Dealer, collector, flipper? Hard to tell since he only has one post, but he has quite a few for sale at other places and no mention of a "wedding" so just be careful .....

1. 1967 Camaro SS Convertible new 396 BB installed, new red paint now. 35,000 miles. NICE
2. 1971 Corvette Convertible Red/Red white convertible top. 5,460 miles. REALLY COOL
3. 1976 TRANS AM Bandit 455 4 speed 31,800 miles. PERFECT INTERIOR! FAST! FUN!
4. 1984 Chevrolet Silverado C-10 Short Bed. 42,500 miles. NICE NICE NICE NICE
5. 2000 Cobalt 246 boat 454 Bravo 3 with 608 hours. GREAT FAMILY FUN NICE NICE
6. 2000 GMC YUKON XL work truck. WORK TRUCK
7. 2002 Mustang Convertible Red NICE 15,700 miles. ITS OUR BABY TOY! NICE NICE NICE
8. 2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible 50thAnniversary. FUN TO DRIVE! NEW PAINT NICE
9. 2005 Chevrolet SSR RED 6.0L LS engine NICE. BEST! SUPER NICE! FUN TO DRIVE FAST44

Does have a 100% Ebay rating hotdealsusa1 (503) 100% Positive feedback

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,389 Posts
Give-a-way pricing for sure.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,369 Posts
Give-a-way pricing for sure.
With a rebuilt title and no idea of miles, condition or equipment?

Well, after still more sleuthing, here are some details on the truck for sale......
1 At first I thought red/black was a 2 tone. Not, just normal red exterior.
2 True miles unknown due to bad cluster, used cluster shows 68k but Autocheck shows 130k in 2017 before accident
3 Hail damage still evident on bed cover
4 VIN 1GCES14H75B115020
5 Was listed on EBay where high bid was $17700 and was actually SOLD but buyer did not follow through
6 Non oem wheels with odd sized tires
7 Seller owned since Aug 2018, and as soon as you register it the odometer mileage will be tagged as incorrect.
8 If you look at the image posted below and zoom in, it looks like there is still some bent metal there just behind the door and forward of the fender. Might be a shadow but awfully coincidental being in same area as accident.
9 Driver side missing fender rock guard

Viewing the pictures Cash posted of the truck in the salvage yard, the speedo works and clearly shows 130624. Why the seller or rebuilder would not attempt to reprogram the speedo to be close ( if it was indeed bad) is a little shady.....

Clearly showing a single picture of half the mileage on the EBay ad makes one think those are true miles or close to being true. A little deceptive even though the seller buried the statement about TMU in the ad. Ebay ad should not have mileage listed, should state TMU or list no miles, and the very first statement in ad in bold lettering should be "TMU, last known mileage 130k", etc.

Cash post - https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/3799849-post1031.html
EBay ad - https://www.ebay.com/itm/332821608052

With all of the above info I would say that the $18,500 asking price is pretty high for a truck with 140k miles, salvage tittle, existing hail damage, an incorrect odometer, non OEM wheels or tires, etc.........

·
Super Moderator
14,054 Posts
Make sure no scammers reply :crazy
He does state Rebuilt, so not hiding anything

Thanks, Mike - that is a reason any member looking at an SSR should check out the Deceased Thread
At least check the CarFax, then check out the thread for pictures - hopefully I have the extent of damage.
This isn't meaning we don't want our SSR's to be placed back on the road.

It looks nice.

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
No buts, fix 'em right and be honest. Fixing them isn't rocket science, it's a Trailblazer with different sheet metal. The only reason so many have been totaled is the difficulty of finding and cost of parts.

Looks like the right front fender has been fixed.
I don't see evidence of hail damage on the lid, just reflections. :confused

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,369 Posts
No buts, fix 'em right and be honest. Fixing them isn't rocket science, it's a Trailblazer with different sheet metal. The only reason so many have been totaled is the difficulty of finding and cost of parts.

Looks like the right front fender has been fixed.
I don't see evidence of hail damage on the lid, just reflections. :confused
LOL, seller relisted truck on EBay tonight and now states that it is not hail damage as it was listed last time, it is now damage from falling nuts that "nobody can see or notice". But, the stated reason at time of salvage was hail and accident damage!!!!

Truck was hit in front of driver rear fender in images Cash posted. I included pics (click 2 times to get full size) of the accident damage area prior to repair, the suspected poor panel alignment and bent sheet metal in same area as repair, and the dents that nobody can see from the really really large nuts :crazy

I wholeheartedly agree, just because an R was wrecked does not mean it is a complete write off. I would personally have interest in one that was put back together correctly. But in this case I think the repair could have been done a lot better the listed mileage should be better disclosed. Sad to say, to fix the rear cover, try and repair the door area better, swap out the wheels and tires, get another fender guard, etc would probably be around $4000 or so. At that price coupled with the $18500 asking price, you are close to $22500 or so.

The closest comparative Ebay sale is a one owner no accident 06 that had 170k miles (vs 145), int and ext chrome kit (vs none), OEM chrome wheels (vs none), floor gauges, boards, OEM wind deflector, carpet kit (vs none), storage bags (vs none), etc, but needed some minor painting. It sold for $8500 not long ago. That seemed like a super deal for sure.

Don't mean to sound so down on it, it is just not worth the asking price IMHO knowing the background and what needs to be done compared to the market. Maybe closer to the $13k area would be fair?

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,298 Posts
I remember looking at this truck when it was on the salvage site and it also had a logo on the doors. I don't remember what it was now but that it the round thing on the door in the first picture. It may have a ghost spot on each door from where the logos were at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bruce, you seem to be one of the most intelligent people in this forum. The insurance companies are quick to total these because parts are so hard to find. I know two really nice guys that have repaired several of these and they had the parts and more and I simply went to them and I obtained nice used parts and we fixed it. My 16 year old son (with his new drivers license) loves driving this badass 6.0L driven machine and the top is cool the way it works. I love showing it off. All the non car (SSR) people around my town think this is a $35,000 SSR. My uncle bought a brand new SSR and it is RED, 3,000 mile 2005 SSR 6.0L with the manual trans. and his is a Linkenfelter performance engine and Linkenfelter installed exhaust system and he told me last night mine was so nice he was surprised I wasn't getting over $20,000. I know mine was rebuilt and I know it was repaired with the correct GM parts from used parts and the previous quarter was red, because I drove an hour to pick it up. I think anything close to $17,500 is a great price.

1. It seems we have a bunch of bashers, but nobody with money. It is my SSR and it is nice for a $17,500 or what ever someone offers. IT IS AN SSR THAT WAS REPAIRED with a red driver rear quarter panel.
2. There are NO dents in the side of it. You must be seeing a shadow. The quarter panel is perfect. This is a nice SSR.
3. Wheels - sure I could spend $2,000 or $4,000 and put the factory little tires on it, but it came with these when I purchased it and my 16 year old son liked them and the big tires ride nice. A lot of people at James Dean complimented me that it was an old school look. I even had people tell me they hated the original wheels, so to some these wheels look good. To each his own....
4. Price - everyone who has these SSR's near Muncie, Indiana wants $25,000 (5.3L) to $35,000(6.0L) and they have been trying to sell them for a year. At $17,500 it sounds like a good deal for a nice, RED, 6.0L SSR.
5. Hail or nuts who gives a ****. I should have had them fixed by a PDR repair man. I have documented the dents. The only place it has the 5 or 6 dents that look like hail or nuts dropped on it is the bed lifting cover. I don't know how it got the dents, but it is an easy repair for a PDR (dent repair man). Someone told me it was probably nuts falling because it is only on the rear of the bed cover. Probably only $200 to repair. I don't even notice them and most people I show them to say who cares, but I should have had them fixed so you wouldn't whine about it.
6. I have the red rock guard that the new buyer can have. The non SSR people DONT even notice it is missing. With the running boards and the fact I don't drive in rock covered roads - rocks simply do not hit it. The new owner can have rock guard.
7. This was NOT the SSR that had a decal on the door. I looked at it too. This SSR had no decals.

I have described it the best I could and I provided it was a rebuilt title. When you drive a rebuilt title car NOBODY driving down the road knows what you drive is a rebuilt title. Rebuilt titles get repaired just like when you have an accident and your insurance fixes your car with the same parts that made the car.
We love this SSR. I drove it 10 hours round trip into Michigan last Wednesday and 5 hours the next day round trip into Ohio to see customers and it is FUN and FAST and the big tires make it ride nice on those crappy highways.

If you know someone that wants a real SSR, with the best engine 6.0L $17,500 is probably a great price, because everyone is going to think your driving a $35,000 badass RED SSR.

If I sale my 1967 Camaro SS Convertible (new) 396 BB or my 1984 Silverado C10 SWB I will probably keep the SSR for my 16 year old son.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dragon 2U - I am a Christian from Indiana that likes to fix cars, trucks, boats and anything cool as a hobby.

WHY would someone write be careful if you didn't know the person. At least you were nice enough to write I have 100% on eBay.

I am a nice guy that likes nice cars and nice friends that like my cars.

My oldest daughter is NOW going to be married in 2019 and I need the money to help her.
My second daughter is in college and I need money for the $30,000 per year costs.

I have a great job, married with three great kids. You can call me a flipper, but like the 1984 Short Wheel base Chevy C10 pick up that I bought it 13 years ago and restored it 10 years ago. I didn't want to sell it. OR The 1971 Corvette Convertible with 5,400 actual miles was purchased 5 years ago AGAIN that I don't want to sell, but I need to help my kids, so some of the collection needs to go.

I am just a guy that takes a damaged vehicle and fixes it to the best I can with my 16 year old son and I do this as father and son projects.

Hopefully everyone will read this and if you are looking for something that I own call me. I am just a guy that loves the cool cars that I wanted in life and I fix them.

The following are ready to sale and help me help my children with college and the 2019 marriage of my oldest.
1. 1967 Camaro SS Convertible new 396 BB installed, new red paint now. 35,000 miles. NICE
2. 1971 Corvette Convertible Red/Red white convertible top. 5,460 miles. REALLY COOL
3. 1976 TRANS AM Bandit 455 4 speed 31,800 miles. PERFECT INTERIOR! FAST! FUN!
4. 1984 Chevrolet Silverado C-10 Short Bed. 42,500 miles. NICE NICE NICE NICE
5. 2000 Cobalt 246 boat 454 Bravo 3 with 608 hours. GREAT FAMILY FUN NICE NICE
6. 2000 GMC YUKON XL work truck. WORK TRUCK
7. 2002 Mustang Convertible Red NICE 15,700 miles. ITS OUR BABY TOY! NICE NICE NICE
8. 2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible 50thAnniversary. FUN TO DRIVE! NEW PAINT NICE
9. 2005 Chevrolet SSR RED 6.0L LS engine NICE. BEST! SUPER NICE! FUN TO DRIVE FAST44

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Jayshellabarger....I think you may be mistaken about the replies about your beloved R. If you look at the Avatars below those who have made comments most of them are long time owners. There are years of experience with this vehicle and I think they call out suspicious listings to protect would be buyers that are members on the site. It’s not an attack but perhaps you could have listed more pertinent information about your R. Rebuilt and salvage titles on the SSR are plenty and because of that it opens the door to people who want an SSR and now it’s within their budget. I certainly agree you can’t tell the title difference, whether they are sitting at a show or on the road. I think your listing left out quite a few of the important factors as to your pricing as well. Congratulations on a nice stable of vehicles....

Dane
OLDxR

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,369 Posts
jayshellabarger - Thanks for returning and updating the background on the truck and yourself. Christian, kids in school, weddings, etc... it does not change anything. I am not tying to bash you or the truck even though it sounds harsh. Some of your sale information is not quite in the open and I feel needs to be pointed out for others that may be interested here. We have tons of first time posters that come here to sell goods to first time buyers, it's my nature to research and add a little more info where I see it is needed.

You state "loaded" but all you have is boards, gauges and windscreen. No upgraded wheels, chrome, carpet, etc..... which are usually minor players in the selling game for other vehicles but much sought after here. The biggest issue I have is mileage disclosure, or lack there of. The truck had a working speedometer that showed 136k miles in salvage yard and reported to Carfax and Autocheck.

Since you know about cars, restoring and flipping, and a little about SSRs through friends and relatives, it is odd that you would go through all the work to get a replacement speedo and install it but not reset the speedo to the near current mileage for the $50 or so it would take to reprogram it. I am aware that the title shows mileage exempt, but showing a large image of 60k something in your ads and also posting the same 60 something as mileage in the ad title is somewhat deceiving. Sure, older cars that have been completely rebuilt from bottom up it is common to reset the speedo, but that is not what was done here. I know you state within the ad it was replaced but you never state what the historical mileage was. It is freely available within the EBay ad by clicking the tab for Autocheck and other sources. You should be aware of it, and it should be disclosed to prospective buyers.

I wish you good luck in your sale, and future builds with your son, but speculation of price and value of these vehicles is often done here, it should be expected, good or bad. I stand by my valuation of a salvaged 140k truck with low equipment level being more in the $13k range when I know a true 20-40k mile no wreck loaded chrome package, bed kit SSRs are selling for $20k.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Well, frost my cookie one more time (see my past post for an explanation).

I lurked, then joined the Forum seven months before buying my "05 SSR. I wanted to know as much about SSR's as I could before I took the plunge. I then put out a post to Forum members telling you I was looking for an SSR. Why? Because I trust members here on the Forum and know that you have the same vested interest in preserving and using your SSR as I have.

Now, I'm not completely naive. I know you need to be wary of most everything, especially a really, really good deal. I paid a fair price for an outstanding SSR and I'm sure Jim would buy it back if he had the chance (he doesn't!!).

I'm really glad many of us here on the Forum take the time and make the extraordinary effort to research situations like this. We need to protect each other. Thanks for your due diligence!

Tim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts