Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm on my second 2005 Slingshot Yellow "R", 12,000 miles, auto transmission.

I am in the process of starting a couple of horsepower upgrades, starting with a set of Kooks Headers P/N 27302400, doing a little work on the exhaust for true duals adding a Magnaflow Muffler two in, two out, P/N 12568 and doing a Street Tune.

Also considering a K&N cold air intake P/N K&N 57-3055.

Eventually will add a cam upgrade.

I would sure appreciate any and all input before I shell out a lot of dollars. I included part numbers hoping you all might again add suggestions or tell me if I'm looking at the wrong parts.

Everyone's suggestions and help is always appreciated.

Bert

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,594 Posts
Bert, you didn't mention $$ being a factor but if it is (always is!) then I would forego the buckos spent on the K&N CABox and spend elsewhere.

The stock airbox is very efficient for an OE piece and the price of the K&N does not warrant its purchase given the very small gain in power you would get. I have a SPECTRE UNIT on my truck and it is strictly for looks. I wasn't looking for any HP or torque gains at all like you mentioned that you were looking for. Instead of the K&N you might consider a rear end gear swap. That's a power expendature you will be able to feel right away.

All my .02 - :wink2:

===============
David :black:
images-9.jpeg

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Agree with David.

Save the $$ on the K&N. They look good and sound good but do nothing for performance unless you do major engine and intake system work. The stock air cleaner is about as good as you can get.

And yes! By all means go for the gear swap. Besides a pro tune, it's hands down the best performance mod for the money you can make. While it doesn't make more power itself, it does allow you to effectively benefit from all the power you have.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gear Upgrade

The jury seems to be out on which gears are best suited for my '05 automatic, 4:10 or 4:56. I'm on the highway most of the time so I was leaning towards 4:10.

Once again, input appreciated.

Bert

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
4:10 for auto's, 4:56 for 6-speed in my opinion. A 4:56 in an auto will have your engine screaming at you at 3000 rpm while going down the freeway. That said, some don't seem to mind it.

·
Spirited driver!
1,746 Posts
My discussions with Joe Delano (SSR tuner extraordinaire) as well as other says 4:10's is the way to go if you are going to do it.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
The jury seems to be out on which gears are best suited for my '05 automatic, 4:10 or 4:56. I'm on the highway most of the time so I was leaning towards 4:10.

Once again, input appreciated.

Bert
Hi Bert,

Have you thought about 4:30s? 4:10s are an upgrade for sure, and 4:56s seem overkill in an automatic. 4:30s fill the sweet spot...

David :blur:

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,780 Posts
Hi Bert
I agree with the others that have posted. I think you are doing good with the exhaust side and will help free up that side. On the intake side you are moving air in and the stock set up is pretty good. I don't think you will see a dollar to performance increase worth it with the K&N. The exhaust and tune are going to give the most improvement that you will be able to tell. The gear change will also help.

·
My First Permagrin !
572 Posts
So this comes up again and again , money and drivability usage always comes into play .
I've been slowly upgrading over the last 3 years and this is what I've done ,
K+N stock replacement filter
Ported and polished Throttle Body
Cut out the muffler and replaced with straight pipe
Mike's tips
Super chips tuner
High speed torque converter
Corvette servo
I opted for the TC instead of the gear swap so I wouldn't have to worry about throwing off the speedo .
That being said , I like what I've done so far and not ruling out a gear swap to 4.10 or headers in my future .
My next move is the professional street tune and live with it that way for a while .
There's no wrong way to go only different paths to get there .
Good luck with your upgrades ,Dave

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Jersey red,
Not sure about a 6.0, but with the 5.3 the super chips can re-calibrate the speedo for 4:10 and 4:56 gears. Is that not true on the 6.0?

·
My First Permagrin !
572 Posts
Wizzr ,
yes the SC tuner does adjust for gear ratio swaps .
It's been a while since I used the tuner and ,
I don't recall exactly what options it gives you for doing that .
Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,641 Posts
Hello All,

I'm on my second 2005 Slingshot Yellow "R", 12,000 miles, auto transmission.

I am in the process of starting a couple of horsepower upgrades, starting with a set of Kooks Headers P/N 27302400, doing a little work on the exhaust for true duals adding a Magnaflow Muffler two in, two out, P/N 12568 and doing a Street Tune.

Also considering a K&N cold air intake P/N K&N 57-3055.

Eventually will add a cam upgrade.

I would sure appreciate any and all input before I shell out a lot of dollars. I included part numbers hoping you all might again add suggestions or tell me if I'm looking at the wrong parts.

Everyone's suggestions and help is always appreciated.

Bert

Didn't want to mess with headers as they are illegal in some states and could make you fail a smog test so could not sell the vehicle in some states.

I don't know which part did what or if the Super Dyno Tune did it but my SSR has gained more horsepower and torque and sounds and feels much faster out of the hole and that is what I was after. Only money and I did not tear the motor apart or change the reliability. Just made it run much, much better.

The guy tuning our SSR said he figured 452.5 horsepower and 461.25 torque at the crank now vs 390 horsepower and 405 torque from the factory. Huge increase from stock plus very smooth and more responsive. Reset cooling fans, shift points and firmness and overall adjusted everything. This was all done after the K&N Cold air package(a must do), the corvette servo, the 90MM throttle body port and polish done by Jeremy at Faster Proms in Florida, the Taylor Helix throttle body spacer, the Jet high performance mass air sensor, and the Magnaflow true duals exhaust with Mikes 5 inch tips. Worked for me. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
The 03 & 04 speedometer can be corrected for a gear change by a good tuner. Per Joe Delano, the 05 & 06 present a different problem. I have 4.10 gears in my 05 Blur. When we were in Santa Fe a couple of years ago, Joe was able to get the speedometer close but not perfect. I have the Corvette servo and 3000 RPM converter. I personally do not care for the high stall converter. Until you get above the lock up speed, it seems to be always slipping. I do have an auxiliary transmission cooler which I recommend because the high stall will generate more heat. The cooler and converter came from Phoenix Transmissions in Weatherford, TX. They are quality products and I am not detracting from the product. Unless you are going to spend some time on the drag strip, I feel the money could be better spent else where. I would suggest if you can find some one in your area with a converter already installed, go take a test ride to see first hand what I am referring to. I had a 70 Corvette with a high stall converter with about the same results. If you are any where near the Kansas City area, give me a call and can test drive my truck. I bought the truck in 2008 with the mods already done.

Kenny Thomas
SSR051
Parkville, MO

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I will give my 10 cents. I had an 05 automatic. I also did the true dual exhaust with high flow cats. I also Installed the corvette servos, 410 gears and a ported and polished throttle body and tune from Jeremy. I loved the way it would chirp the tires shifting to second gear. I know people with cold air intakes don’t want to hear this but the truth is it adds maybe 2 or 3 horsepower at the most. I agree with the some of the others that the stock air intake setup is very efficient. Just put in a Better filter.
PS. I almost forgot. I also had a 2500 stall converter installed along with a transmission cooler.

·
Crazy Horse
672 Posts
Just add a K&N oe air filter. Mine gained between 5 and 10 hp which is abouit all you'll get and keep it clean. My 02.5 cents.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,465 Posts
Considering the K&M a couple years ago, I looked at the area of the cylindrical tube between the air box and the supercharger compared to the area of the OEM opening in the grill. The area of the grill opening is already bigger than the area of the cylinder. In my opinion, no matter what you put in front of the air cylinder, it's never going to be able to take in more air then the cylinder itself can take. Those things really look good, though.

Dave

Bert, you didn't mention $$ being a factor but if it is (always is!) then I would forego the buckos spent on the K&N CABox and spend elsewhere.

The stock airbox is very efficient for an OE piece and the price of the K&N does not warrant its purchase given the very small gain in power you would get. I have a SPECTRE UNIT on my truck and it is strictly for looks. I wasn't looking for any HP or torque gains at all like you mentioned that you were looking for. Instead of the K&N you might consider a rear end gear swap. That's a power expendature you will be able to feel right away.

All my .02 - :wink2:

===============
David :black:
View attachment 505194

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
05 Upgrade

Going to order headers today and send off for ceramic coating, eBay has a set of Kooks headers p/n: 27302400 for $850.00. Can someone please confirm I'm ordering the correct set.

Appreciate the help.

Bert

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Augie said, "Didn't want to mess with headers as they are illegal in some states and could make you fail a smog test so could not sell the vehicle in some states."

I always thought emission testing results were a function of tuning and catalytic converters. Can headers cause a negative smog test outcome if everything else is set correctly??

If everything else is set up right, and smog tests are passed, in which states are headers illegal? just curious.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts