Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm considering "upgrading" my 04 Slingshot to an 05 or 06.

I'm partial to Yellow, but would take Pea Soup Green with purple polka dots as it could always be painted.

I would rather not have a 6 speed as I’m getting to old to “row” around town.

I don’t care if there is chrome or satin.....all that is changeable.

So the real question is......

What is really the difference between 05 and 06?? Pacific Blue?? OnStar?? Chrome??

I’ve started reading the 1, 2 and 3 packages, but I don’t see anything that just can’t be changed or added later.

Would the only benefit of an 05 or 06 be a larger motor and a higher serial number??

Looking forward to all comments.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had my 2004 for 5 months before I traded it in. THe lack of power killed me. Having the LS2 makes a HUGE difference. THe only diff, between 05-06 is the various packages, blue color, and chrome. I say which ever you get a better deal on, go for it! YOu won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jmpeez..
I'm not disappointed with the power on the 04. With mods costing far less than an 05 or 06 I can get plenty out of the 5.3L :reddevil

I'm just looking for the other differences beyond the larger motor. Mrs. Step would like OnStar, but that in itself doesn't warrant a change.:nono

If the 05 and 06 are really close cousins, maybe I should be asking what are the difference between the 05/06 and the 04.

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
No OnStar in my '06, don't think it was offered? Other differences are small from what I have heard, gearing in the manual trans and rear end. Not sure if the gears are taller or the rear end itself is a different size? I'd have to thumb thru Jim's book to be sure. The rest is fluff. Engine size is not an issue here & you prefer an auto anyway, so I would keep it. Save the money, buy mods or a trip for you & the wife since you are too old to row around town LOL.

·
Registered
190 Posts
StepPrinting said:
Thanks jmpeez..
I'm not disappointed with the power on the 04. With mods costing far less than an 05 or 06 I can get plenty out of the 5.3L :reddevil

I'm just looking for the other differences beyond the larger motor. Mrs. Step would like OnStar, but that in itself doesn't warrant a change.:nono

If the 05 and 06 are really close cousins, maybe I should be asking what are the difference between the 05/06 and the 04.

You may not be dissapointed with the power of the 04 BUT just drive the 05/06 and all your questions will be answered!!!. I drove an o4 and just did not light my fire...05 put me "up in flames" compared to the 04...both nice but no contest after driving both. I don't think On Star is offered on any of these and the rearend is the same on both 05/06.
Hope this helps:seeya

·
Registered
255 Posts
Changes from 05 to 06

I thought they finally gave us the hood struts with the 06. Also they added the out side temperature to the digital readout on the 06 and maybe some other features?

I would go with the 06 given a choice between the 05 and 06.

Just my thoughts
Carl

·
Registered
84 Posts
My first buggy was an 05, I now have a blue 06. The only difference that I would mention is that at highway speeds 75-80 and top down, the 06 is a little bit quieter (probably the gearing). The 05 from Miami to Disney got to be annoying doing 75, I would goose it to 80+ :) where it was quieter.

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
I think it all comes down to $$$$ honestly. Do you want to lose your butt on the '04 (we all know if you got an '03 or'04 we paid more for less power)
We considered trading but probably wont. I'm emotionally attached to mine anyway. Our dealer is begging us to drive the '06 but we have opted not to because I'm sure we would love it and thats exactly what he wants. Remember, you dont miss what you dont have!!!!
Good luck on your decision and just do what suits YOU!!! Listen to all advice from all situations.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Best avenue I can see is to drive the Hell out of your current one so resale loss will not hurt so much with a lot of miles on it and meanwhile decide what it is you want and start watching for it, making low offers and if one hits, you did the right thing! Moving to a 6 liter only makes sense if you would appreciate the performance difference.

·
Premium Member
9,319 Posts
Or if you really want a 6 speed.

Ray

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
savilloc said:
I thought they finally gave us the hood struts with the 06. Also they added the out side temperature to the digital readout on the 06 and maybe some other features?

I would go with the 06 given a choice between the 05 and 06.

Just my thoughts
Carl
I thinks struts came out on the 05 and carried to the 06. The 06 might have a digital read out on the computer display. My 05 does not. I have the read out on my gauge. Both has 6 speed or auto. The 06 6 speed might have a better 6th gear rpm running. The last might be a change in the front fan. GM was suppost to have changed the design during the 06 run.

You might find a better buy with an 05 then 06

Of course chome package from dealer came out only in the 06.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts