Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a nice one for sale in my home town today, more miles than I would like at 46k but it's in very nice condition. Found no scratches, leather was as nice as my 12k mile PAC blue, was a 3SS with gauge pkg and auto. Also has running boards. The only thing I could find wrong was a hazy left headlight. Price listed is 23k. Pm me and I'll let you know where to find it if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the guy that traded it in and it's his second or third one. Don't think there were any issues but can't say for sure. It's at a Chevy dealer so should have been checked out one would think.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
"more miles than I would like at 46k" :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:, what a joke !!! 46,000 miles in 13 years ... If this was a 2005 Impala LTZ with 46,000 miles for $11,500 (comparable dollars as a 2005 Impala LTZ new was half the price of an SSR) and driven by some old maid school teacher, you'd be telling everybody it was the absolutely the best buy, low mileage Impala in East Armpit, Oklahoma !!! 46,000 miles :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It oughta' be "in very nice condition" it's hardly been driven. You hit my hot button when you talk about miles ... don't you ever drive yours ??? Hey they are fun, fun, fun ... get your's out and drive it, you'll be surprised how much fun they are !!! 12,000 miles in 12 years ... that comes to about 83+ miles a month. I'm sorry I pee'd in your Wheaties, but what I said is the truth and if the truth is wrong then I'm guilty !!!

Just my opinion Stepchild !!! tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,778 Posts
As we all know TCD, some people can get overly concerned when it comes to accumulation of mileage on an R. Just because an R has sat in a garage with low mileage does not necessarily mean it will not have mechanical or electrical issues.

Dave

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
[QUOTE=Guzzi Guy; Just because an R has sat in a garage with low mileage does not necessarily mean it will not have mechanical or electrical issues.

Very true sometimes not driving them is worse then driving them a lot. Today's engines and tranny's are almost bullet proof now a days unless they been beat, which I highly doubt was done to this one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would personally LOVE to put a ton of miles on the SSR. But I usually work about 60 hours a week and have 4 other "toy" cars to exercise along with 3 bikes. Doesn't leave much time to devote to one vehicle. Not all of us are "reluctant" to put miles on the unit. Just sayin':wink2:

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts
"more miles than I would like at 46k" :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:, what a joke !!! 46,000 miles in 13 years ... If this was a 2005 Impala LTZ with 46,000 miles for $11,500 (comparable dollars as a 2005 Impala LTZ new was half the price of an SSR) and driven by some old maid school teacher, you'd be telling everybody it was the absolutely the best buy, low mileage Impala in East Armpit, Oklahoma !!! 46,000 miles :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It oughta' be "in very nice condition" it's hardly been driven. You hit my hot button when you talk about miles ... don't you ever drive yours ??? Hey they are fun, fun, fun ... get your's out and drive it, you'll be surprised how much fun they are !!! 12,000 miles in 12 years ... that comes to about 83+ miles a month. I'm sorry I pee'd in your Wheaties, but what I said is the truth and if the truth is wrong then I'm guilty !!!

Just my opinion Stepchild !!! tennesseecozydog :ssr
Let's be clear about one thing. You have your opinion - that only makes it the truth based on your opinion.

I don't understand why you need to chastise every owner who doesn't put on as many miles as you do. Drive the crap out of yours if you want, but there's a whole bunch of us who like to keep them wart free for those really good days.

I like to keep mine in show condition, so I drive it, but not a huge amount. It's also parked 6 months of the year, as are many others. I have two other vehicles to drive when doing mundane daily tasks - I don't care how many miles those get.

If I was looking for another one, low mileage is absolutely a huge factor. As was seen at the Mecum Indy auction a couple weeks ago, low mileage puts a significant premium on value - as in $57k for a 3500 mile 2006.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,017 Posts
Sounds like an awesome low mileage SSR at a give-a-way price. It is the right color also.

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
The miles really don't matter if the vehicle has been taken care of. My friend Dwight
( Bluestreak ) has 240,000 miles on his SSR and we all know he drives it all the time and almost everywhere. I have 174,431 miles on one and 55,000 on the other SSR and it won Best interior at the International Rally in Denison, Texas last year, so it's how they are taken care of, and not the miles. Things that have been replaced on the high mileage R, I know I'll have to replace on the other one sooner or later as some things wear out, but I'm OK with that. I don't understand the thought process of buying a vehicle that you really like and not enjoying driving it as much as you can. Why deprive your self of that pleasure just to say it has very low miles on it. They were made to be driven for a hundred thousand miles or more, that is why the drive train was made so robust. You could die tomorrow and never have spent enough time to enjoy the thrill and excitement of gliding down the highway with the radio playing in the background, top down, wind in your hair ( if U have any ) and the rumble and burble of all of that Chevy muscle just inches away, under your right. She's whispering to you, " give me more gas, a little more pedal, oh that feels so good ". I'm just telling you what mine says every time I walk past her. OK, I'm down off the soapbox.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Wow... looks like I struck a nerve on the mileage issue. So in defense of my low mileage R, I have owned it less than one year, it had two owners prior to myself and was never driven in the rain. So buying this well maintained by two car guys example was a no brainer for me since I plan to dump another 20k or more of custom stuff into it. Believe me I do plan to put miles on it but it will also be pampered just like the Corvette and Porsche I had. Looking forward to showing it off at events to the other forum members across the country when its back home from California. Heck so far the wife has driven it more than I have, she got to drive it to LA for the woodie conversion. The first 6 moths I had it, it was sitting in my shop while I made up the top design that has now been put on hold or may never happen. This yellow R in town looks every bit as nice as mine except for one headlight, easy fix. Obviously it was well taken care of. The previous owner has several cars so he knows how to buy and care for cars. Hopefully someone will call on this one and add it to our family.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Oh yea and by the way... I've never had any issue with driving the miles guys, I used to drive 60 thousand plus miles a year for work. So now I know someone will reply with " heck I used to drive twice that " so whatever. We just got back a couple of weeks ago from a five thousand mile trip to the west coast and Yellowstone. A new goal is to drive the R up and down the Pacific Coast Highway someday.

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Some people like to argue.

If it were a Silverado it would be low mileage. I would not be afraid of that kind of mileage unless someone has not taken care of it. I am going to turn 65K on mine this month.

Is it a manual? Just curious.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Wow... looks like I struck a nerve on the mileage issue. So in defense of my low mileage R, I have owned it less than one year, it had two owners prior to myself and was never driven in the rain. So buying this well maintained by two car guys example was a no brainer for me since I plan to dump another 20k or more of custom stuff into it. Believe me I do plan to put miles on it but it will also be pampered just like the Corvette and Porsche I had. Looking forward to showing it off at events to the other forum members across the country when its back home from California. Heck so far the wife has driven it more than I have, she got to drive it to LA for the woodie conversion. The first 6 moths I had it, it was sitting in my shop while I made up the top design that has now been put on hold or may never happen. This yellow R in town looks every bit as nice as mine except for one headlight, easy fix. Obviously it was well taken care of. The previous owner has several cars so he knows how to buy and care for cars. Hopefully someone will call on this one and add it to our family.
PM sent :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: 10 uh C cozydog

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Average annual milage in the US

:smile2:

Average Annual Miles per Driver by Age Group
Age Male Female
35-54 18,858 11,464
55-64 15,859 7,780
65+ 10,304 4,785
Average 16,550 10,142
2 more rows
Average Annual Miles per Driver by Age Group
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

:frown2:
Well, the copy/paste didn't format correctly, but you can click on the site and get it right.

I saw two different sources that both agreed the (average...annual) driven in the USA is 16,550 miles per year.

Actually, this makes my '05 Avalanche with about 125,000 miles on it .........a low milage truck.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea I always used to figure about 12k a year was average back when cars didn't last like they do now. Being specialty cars, ultra low mile examples are still out there thankfully. Good news for someone just getting one that wants to keep it for many years to come. We used to have vans in our national fleet that had 450k on them with original engine and trans.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I almost hate to say this after my soapbox rant, but my 98 2door 4wheel drive Tahoe just turned over to 65,000 miles yesterday, it only took twenty years, which averages out to 3250 miles a year.
Now in my defence, not that I need one, ( of course I do ) my job working for the Studio Transportation Dept. is that I'm always driving someone else's vehicle. I only had to drive to the Studios, I'm 3 blocks from Disney and one and a half miles from Warner Brothers, and two miles from NBC / Universal. Paramount, Raleigh, Hollywood Center, Warner Hollywood, and CBS are just 15 minutes away, and well you get the picture. Good for you Stepchild put on the 20,000 in extra's and drive it, only not like you stole it.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
I almost hate to say this after my soapbox rant, but my 98 2door 4wheel drive Tahoe just turned over to 65,000 miles yesterday, it only took twenty years, which averages out to 3250 miles a year.
Now in my defence, not that I need one, ( of course I do ) my job working for the Studio Transportation Dept. is that I'm always driving someone else's vehicle. I only had to drive to the Studios, I'm 3 blocks from Disney and one and a half miles from Warner Brothers, and two miles from NBC / Universal. Paramount, Raleigh, Hollywood Center, Warner Hollywood, and CBS are just 15 minutes away, and well you get the picture. Good for you Stepchild put on the 20,000 in extra's and drive it, only not like you stole it.
You sound like a real Hollywood Blueblood Knightranger, ... sorry many of us SSRfanatics cannot accept your Visitation Invitation :smile2::smile2::smile2: we just live too far away. :ssr

1 - 20 of 25 Posts