Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Folks,

I am new to this group and I appreciate the opportunity to be here. I have a recently purchased 2006 SSR with the 6 speed. It's a 'naked' black model. Meaning, no extras - with the exception of the 6 speed manual. I wanted it that way. It was a wait since 2003. I've wanted one since the debut but for whatever reason, couldn't bring myself to purchase back then. The revision to the LS2 mill has made the wait a little more worthwhile - not to mention what's coming in a few weeks.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer much in the way of commentary wrt/my driving experiences, etc. It's in the shop. At about 165 miles I spied an oil leak. Flashlight inspection revealed a target near the rear main area. Dealership/technical inspection revealed faulty installation of an engine block plug at the rear of the block. The service lady said this was a screw type plug.

It had been incorrectly installed at the factory. Re-tapping was not an option as the plant advised against it. The end result of which is a crated LS2 mill is slated for arrival this week. I don't know if they send a complete motor or the shortblock, but it's a complete heart transplant nonetheless. I am satisifed that they did not try to 'fix' it. Could have been a recipe for disaster or being back in the shop all the time.

The service lady said they had never seen anything like this before and I am inclined to believe her. It's an interesting defect, no doubt. I'll post follow up once this ordeal is overwith.

In the meantime, this has given me pause to think about some goodies I'd like to install once I get the rig back. The extent that I'd like to 'improve' the performance is:

- Air intake (K&N air charger)
- ECM re-program
- Exhaust

What do you guys think about these 3 mods?

Think they will complement each other or do you see gaps or anything unnecessary?

Supercharging is not on my list - at least not for year or two.

Thanks -

Valvetrain

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,058 Posts
Lots of opinions here

This site will present a lot of opinions on what to do with your rig. The bottom line is that you are the one who has to live with the choices you make.

With that said, let me offer my two cents on your new truck......

Intake mods will yeild some additional mid-range torque and some really hard-to-measure top end HP. Good to do as a step change to see if it makes a difference in the seat of your pants.

Exhaust mods will personalize the ride enough to satisfy most anyone. This was the first choice on mine. Less than 1,000 miles and had new "pipes". No brainer here, as it does not affect the warranty.

Computer reprogram...... hmmmm....... this is a sure way to get more ponies, but at a cost. You will have to "put back" the original software into the computer every time you take it in for service. If you don't, then they get a "Rogue Program" error on their diagnostic port when they hook up. This could easily start a warranty problem. The other issue with reprogrammers on the '05 is that the software has just now hit the street. There have been LOTS of problems getting it available. I might take a wait-and-see attitude on this for about 6 months while the initial feedback from the fleet is filtering back to the vendor. Definitely worth considering, but watch it for a while first.

Just my 2 cents... since you asked.

Oh, by the way, welome to the family. Fine bunch of nuts here....

Enjoy your ride when it comes home.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Mike in AZ is dead on. However he is being too modest. Check out the other threads regarding cooling issues and you will find one of the first mods needed is Mike's auxilliary fan kit. The stock unit is marginal at best and you find Mike's unit will be cheap insurance for that new powerplant. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike in AZ and Purple Mistress -

Thank you both - appreciate your feedback.
Suggestions/advice noted.

Best -

1 - 4 of 4 Posts