Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KWHOPPER says Craft Center shut down for a couple more weeks. Chevy dealer says SSR would sell better if cost was reduced a little. Amazing stuff.
I had decided this weekend to order a 2006 SSR. I don't want a "loaded" one. I wanted to order one that would be remenicient of a 50's hot rod.
My order was going to go like this: Pacific Blue, standard 1SS package. Exterior and interior bright chrome package including aux. gauges, chrome wheels and auto Trans.
Pretty simple really. So I go down to my favorite high performance Chevy dealership. They have 3 new SSRs on the lot. Yellow, black and aqua. None have the Chrome package and they didn't even know there was such a thing. So we get into the dealers computer. Sure enough there it is. Bright chrome package, but wait, I have to order the 2SS package to qualify to order the $1,000.00 chrome package or the $1,500.00 chrome wheels. So to order the $2500.00 in chrome I have to order another $2000.00 for heated seats , heated mirrors and a "premium" sound system. I live in the Mojave Desert. We have sunshine 360 days a year. I don't need or want heated seats or heated mirrors for crying out loud! I'm 60 years old but my memory is good enough to remember the way I like my seat situated. I don't need a memory button and if I did I would use the one on my Chrysler 300C. Premium "high performance" sound system! The only performance I am interested in listening to is out of the LS2 exhaust pipes. Leave the high performance sound system to the 'Civic Nation".
O.K. lets say I would be alright with buying the 2SS package so I can get all the chrome, but wait, the dealer know informs me that if I want the bright chrome gauge package included I have to buy the 3SS package for $1200.00 and that includes color keyed running boards that I for sure don't want or need. In the 50's we took running board of of these old hot rods to lighten them up a little bit and also acheived a bulbous fender look that every hotrodder loved.
So to get a stripped down version of the SSR with all the chrome available, I have to spend many thousands of dollars for "stuff" that I have no interest in.
Now, what did KWHOPPER say, o ya, the Craft Center is shut down for a few more weeks and he quoted a dealer as saying "they would really sell better if they were a few thousand dollars less." The yellow 06 Vette they have at the dealership for 48,000 is looking better all the time ,but wait, I already have a Vette. All I can say General is PATHETIC! :confused

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Welcome to GM's new value pricing! :confused

When I read that the '06's were to be a couple/few grand cheaper on base MSRP - I knew something was up. Checked out kbb.com - and sure enought - now there's 3 packages. By the time you get a package or two - the value price has vaporized...

I didn't think I'd like the heated seats - being in California and all - but my two VIP's (very important passengers - wife & daughter) both use the heck out of the seat heater. I REALLY like the self dimming mirror feature! I guess what I'm saying is go ahead and get a few extra goodies on your Roadster - you will enjoy them in the long run...

Glad to see that you'll be ordering a Pacific Blue SSR!

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
You know it's funny to hear all these stories about people's perceptions about dealerships.

I recently went into a high end electronics store to purchase a wide screen TV I told the salesman I didn't want picture in picture and I didn't need a TV that offered 3 different languages on the menu, as I speak only 1 language, I had no need for 6 auxillary inputs and since i have a remote for my cable I didn't need one of those. I am going to use a surround sound set up so anything with speakers and sound would be useless BUT the dealer told me the only way to get the 53" wide screen DLP rear projection TV was to add all that extra stuff to it. Can you believe that.

Now I know people have a perception about dealers and expect the dealer is always trying to 'bend you over' and pile on extra stuff. But go and try and buy a Mercedes and tell them you want a top of the line Benz all the flashy extras but you don't need heated seats and mirrors but you want them to include the other things offered in their high end package. Besides most people don't realize that dealer allotments for vehicles are based on what GM or other manufacturers send to the dealership and if you want a special order be prepared to wait quite awhile.

My suggestion, buy the base model, add the auxillary guages afterwards and I'm quite sure when the CHROME package is made available you can buy it then as well. As for heated seats, while I don't live in the Mojave I live in southern AZ I never thought I would use my heated seats but let me tell you something brother, 5:30am pre-sunset, top down roaring down the highway this past thursday it got a bit too chilly so yep, I hit the heated seat back and felt warm and cozy as I did a chilly 90mph on my way to work.

C'mon guys do you really think dealers are in business to NOT sell vehicles. Of course they want to sell a vehicle on their lot today. The difference is they want to sell whats in inventory they want make a profit and sell what Chevy gives them to sell. Just cus they won't 'bend over' for you doesn't mean they're wrong. Free Capitalist Market, we gotta live with it cus the alternative is not good.

just my humble 2cents not meant to offend

COZ :lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts