Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lusted after a truck with vintage looks and contemporary technology.

First went the stock route, before realizing I don't enjoy double clutching, drum brakes. Discovered I'm a gluten for modern amenities. So, I searched the resto-mod world and thought, pretty expensive and still seems like a compromise.

I researched more. Then, I found the Chevy SSR. Wow. I can get a convertible hardtop truck that looks like the 1950's merged with the 21st century! A contemporary retro truck with a Corvette engine and bitch'n styling. Sign me up!

Have yet to find my 2006 SSR, but joining the ssrfanatic community for help with my procurement and to meet fellow enthusiasts.

Located in SoCal not far from Pasadena, CA. Could use any leads and advice in finding a clean low mileage loaded 2006 automatic. One owner preferred without an accident.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Start by clicking on Tools in the upper bar, then Classified, SSRs for Sale. Also there are many listed on Ebay and a lot of the other Members will possibly have information on any SSR that is listed for sale. This Group pays attention too our Circle of Pride. My 2 cents worth. Good luck with the Search..

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,811 Posts
If you are close to Pasadena, send me an email at [email protected] and maybe we can put a meet together somewhere between us.There are a few SSRs for sale and some might not be too far away. Others might be across the country but worth the trip. Depends on what is important to you. I did not repsond to your Friend Request because i have not met you yet and have only seen one post. Not enough information to call you friend, yet.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,899 Posts
ClassicSSR, i agree with others--get one from a Member here and a lot of the upgrades are probably done!!

Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever!---Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then, after you get one, if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

·
Super Moderator
14,094 Posts
I have put together 254 SSR sales/purchases and like to think I can sift the chaff from the wheat
Cash - [email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,322 Posts
Well you have come to the right place for all things SSR, including your search for a 2006. Met up with Dwight a very knowledgeable guy as he can help.
Good luck in your hunt I found mine in KY and had a great road trip home to So Cal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. Here is what I've been doing so far:

I've employed national search engines for several months now. Like with every speciality car search, it is a waiting game.

I'm learning about the pitfalls and things to look out for when buying an SSR. Things that appear to be too good and too cheap, usually are. Rebuilt engines, multiple successive owners in a short time, fleet cars and accidents... the usual drill. I do background checks on vehicles, etc.

Owning a collectible convertible, I am accustomed to being patient with this type of pursuit. It takes time.

Becoming acclimated to the different packages I could pick and their availability on offered SSRs has proven a bit more challenging. I know I want a final production year and an automatic. I like the chrome package. That's where my desires become a bit more murky. I keep reading about a suspension kit, additional gauges and other upgrades SSRfanatic members have. Here is where I could use a lot more help.

What must haves and desired packages or upgrades do many of you have?

What if anything should I avoid?

I see a plethora of rebuilt engines... Is this a build issue or a use issue?

Are all the 2006 builds, the final run models?

Thanks in advance = for your help. I'm sure I'll have many more questions and concerns as I go through this process...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi ClassicSSR, About the engine. You won't find a stronger, more versatile engine than the LS2 in the "R". You do know that the "R"s engine is a corvette LS2 with 10,9 compression. If rebuilt I would have to say a USE issue. I have a 06 FPR, 6 speed with 27,000 miles everything drivetrain is stock and it's as strong as the day it was made. No not all the 2006 models are final production run, others can chime in on those stats. A 3SS package is desirable from a stock factory accessory standpoint, also carpeted bed/w wood and wood appearance strips. A few weak points that I'm aware of are the passenger side dash cupholder face, the lower cupholder slot on the console, and the inside door handles. Many have told me of upgrades, like shift solenoids on the automatic, and frame stiffener brace replacement, also the plastic radiator support. I would be very suspicious of anything not lining up perfectly, especially anything to do with the convertible top and it's operation, but that's pretty obvious stuff. I have seen a range of prices that make me wonder. I bought the second one I ever saw, simply because I was able to watch it next door for 3 or 4 years and knew the owner. I've been buying vehicles for 55 years as an enthusiast and I've always found really quiet people, or those who don't know much make me nervous, I don't deal with dealerships much. There's certainly a lot to learn about "R"s, even between auto's and sticks. Best of luck on your hunt.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,811 Posts
You have a lot of questions there and a few givens. In an attempt to get the ground rules straight you need to do a lot of reading or sit down with a group and do a lot of talking. I might suggest you take a trip to Barstow in early October for the Over the Hill Gang - Cruise for the Cure. "Search" out the SSR Fanatics and ask questions. They won't be hard to find. Usually 15+ at the far end of the lot from the stage all together. I would invite you to ride up with me but I will be in Warner robins GA at that time. You can learn more in a couple hours of chatting that you can in a month of deciphering the information here when you are starting cold.

·
Daily Driver
8,980 Posts
Welcome to our world. :seeya
No, not all 2006's are FPRs(final production run), just the last 826 starting with VIN 23288. Are they more desirable? Some seem to think so.
Carpeted bed? Depends on what you use it for, looks nice on a show truck.
Three gage cluster on the floor, useless, inaccurate, but look nice on a show truck.
Running boards? They keep the truck cleaner and eliminate some stone chips on the rear fenders. But they can be annoying getting in and out.
Shiny chrome was available as an option in place of brush chrome on the '06.
Here's a quick look at the '06s.

·
Super Moderator
14,094 Posts
xoxoxo and I agree to disagree sometimes! HaHa!
From a resale standpoint, there are 4 options that stand out
14P - chrome wheels
BVE/BVF - boards, body colour preferred
ERG/ERH - console gauges, again, body colour preferred
ERK - carpeted cargo

These options will sway the value a lot, and also will be very important should you re-sell
In MY2006 the VYJ chrome package became available, probably about $3500 to replace.
I feel it has a swing value of about $1500 on a purchase
I think the FPR has a similar impact, maybe not quite as much as the VYJ
However, ask anyone with a 2006 regular production if they would rather have an FPR.
If they say no, they are lyin! HaHa!

Back to Post 1 and "double clutching" - not sure what your memory is
I had so much fun harvesting in Alberta in the 60's - I drove a 5 ton Chevy with a 427 5sp split axle - he went like a scared cat and it was just plain fun rowing through those gears!
Double clutching, split shifting - it doesn't get any better! HaHa!
After getting our own crop into the granary, I worked my Uncle's large land assembly.
Having 6 sections, we were the last trying to get the crop off, so the neighbours would come over to help
We had 5 combines running, unloaded the hoppers on the fly, even around corners, which is a bit of a trick but we got very good at it - what a great memory.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,765 Posts
Hi ClassicSSR welcome from St Louis. I am fairly new to the group and have learned a lot from the good people here. I got my first SSR in December and my second in July. I upgraded to an 05 in July because after having the 04 I wanted the 6.0 engine. With your quest for an 06 you are already going to have all the minor upgrades GM did to the trucks.

I will add what I learned and the two things I would also look out for when looking is windshield condition and look for water leaks. The windshield is no longer available from GM and some of the after market ones don't fit so well. The water leaks may not be as big of an issue for you in California but I would still be on the look out for it. The seals around the top can become dry and loose their ability to keep the water out and some of them are no longer available either. Check the carpet for discoloration as that is a good indicator of water leaks.

The chrome and other options are all going to be what fits you personally but like Cash said it can also help on the resale side if you decide to sell it later down the road.

I am into old cars and trucks and actually got mine because I wanted another hotrod for a driver. I looked into building a 68 Chevy truck and the SSR was a better option and cheaper then building the 68 would have been. Good luck in your search and if you find one someplace a road trip can be a good time in and SSR. I got my 05 from California and drove it back to St Louis and had fun doing so.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
another source for You too check out. Mitula.com I keep getting emails from the site and they have multiple listings for SSRs for sale all over the country and every year. Again, Good luck with Your search.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts