·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Release:
August 4, 2005, 12 p.m. CST

Chevrolet Debuts Two-Tone Paint Design on SSR Pace Vehicle
New Scheme to be Introduced on Pace and Parade Lap Vehicles During the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard

INDIANAPOLIS – Chevrolet has paced every NASCAR race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway since the first Brickyard 400 in 1994. This year for the first time, the honor falls upon the Chevrolet SSR to represent the brand at the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard on Aug. 7. Just as the full-fendered forms of the SSR recall the later ‘40s and early ‘50s, the new for 2006 two-tone paint option and bright chrome accents of the thoroughly modern roadster will remind enthusiasts of the ‘60s.

This will be the first time that a Chevy SSR has been on pace vehicle duty at Indianapolis Motor Speedway for a NASCAR race. In addition to the pace vehicle, a collection of 45 two-tone and bright chrome 2006 Chevy SSRs will be used to parade the field of NASCAR Nextel Cup Series drivers around the track during driver introductions on race day.

“The two-tone paint along with pacing the race is a bold way for Chevrolet to introduce a new look for the Chevy SSR” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “We’re pleased to add another chapter to Chevrolet’s illustrious history at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

The Chevy SSR pace vehicle design features five Hot Hues™ colors from DuPont starting with a wide stripe of True Blue that begins above the grill and extends across the top of the vehicle to the deck lid with Molten Orange adorning the lower sides of each vehicle. The GM design team chose between 10 DuPont Hot Hues shades before deciding on the current paint scheme which also incorporates the colors of Cosmic Dust, Bombay Blue and Tango. Initially two different two-tone paint schemes will be available as an option on the 2006 Chevy SSR and will arrive at Chevy dealerships late this summer. Additional combinations of SSR colors will be rolled out throughout the 2006 model year.

The Chevy SSR that will pace the field continues to be nearly identical to the 2006 model available in dealer showrooms. In addition to the two-tone paint scheme, the 2006 Chevy SSR will feature a 6.0 Liter LS2 V-8 that delivers 395 horsepower, a four-speed automatic transmission, 19-inch HRE 647R wheels with polished rim and brushed aluminum spokes in the front and matching 20-inch wheels in the back. A six-speed manual transmission is optional and with it, SSR’s horsepower increases to 400.

During Chevrolet’s history of pace duties at the track, a Monte Carlo (1994, 1997-2004), a C-1500 Full-Size Pickup (1995) and a Camaro (1996) have paced the Brickyard race.

As the Official Vehicle of NASCAR, Chevrolet will perform pace duties for 60 NASCAR events in 2005 including 28 NASCAR Nextel Cup, 17 Busch Series and 15 Craftsman Truck Series races, featuring such vehicles as the Corvette, Monte Carlo and Silverado, in addition to SSR.

The 45 two-tone SSRs, which have sequential serial numbers, will be used to parade the NASCAR drivers around the track during the pre-race driver introductions are the first 2006 models to be produced with the new paint option and bright chrome trim. After leaving the Speedway, all 45 will be available for purchase at Chevy dealerships in the North Central region following the race weekend. Each will be sold with a certificate of authenticity verifying its use at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and will also include a commemorative plaque featuring an actual piece of asphalt from Indianapolis Motor Speedway before it was repaved this past winter.

“Thanks to the relationship Chevrolet has with Indianapolis Motor Speedway, we are able to use the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard as the perfect venue to debut the two-tone Chevy SSR and market Chevy’s full line of cars and trucks,” said Peper. “What a great way to provide race fans with the opportunity to purchase our heritage-styled, performance roadster that includes a piece of racing history.”

Brickyard 400 Pace Vehicles:
Race Vehicle Model
2005 SSR
2004 Monte Carlo
2003 Monte Carlo
2002 Monte Carlo
2001 Monte Carlo
2000 Monte Carlo
1999 Monte Carlo
1998 Monte Carlo
1997 Monte Carlo
1996 Camaro
1995 C-1500 Full-Size Pickup
1994 Monte Carlo

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world’s largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader since 1931. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 324,000 people around the world. It has manufacturing operations in 32 countries and its vehicles are sold in 200 countries. In 2004, GM sold nearly 9 million cars and trucks globally, up 4 percent and the second-highest total in the company’s history. GM’s global headquarters are at the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

Photography is available at www.media.gm.com/division/gmracing/photos/index.html.

###

Attachments

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Marc NY said:

Love that chin spoiler! :thumbs

I like the rear deck spoiler on the red and blue one. Oh and I like the colors of the red and blue one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh, baby!

Thanks for posting the info and pics. That orange and blue scheme is pretty bold... you'd see that coming from a long distance!

Jeff

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Nascar And SSRs...Great!!!

A Nice pair of SSRs to Pace the Race...:thumbs

RickSSR :cool

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
wheels

Did anyone notice the new wheels on the red and blue ??

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Ssr 2007

:cool :cool :cool

Some of the 2007 features are out early.................WOW

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No Comment!

SSR290 said:
:cool :cool :cool

Some of the 2007 features are out early.................WOW
Hey SSR290 shhhhh don't let the cat out of the bag... :lol no pre 07 comments are allowed just yet! ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
2007 styling, OOPS!

It would be just like GM to introduce a 'hot' model after having regular versions available for a few years. Don't get me wrong, they're all special to me! If that rascal is available like that in '07 with the chin spoiler, chrome package, molded style running boards, bitchin' rear spoiler, and killer wheels, you can count me in. All I'd have left to do is a custom paint job, lower it, slap on a blower with a 100 shot of nitrous and I'd be set! That is, of course, unless they offer it with the 427 Vette motor as an option, then I'd have to get that one, do a custom paint job, lower it, slap on a blower with a 100 shot of nitrous and I'd be set!

:reddevil

Ah, this is fun.

Jeff
Tucson, AZ

·
Registered
442 Posts
Stripe on the two-tones?

Marc, Will the '06 two-tones have a stripe where the colors meet as shown on the SSR's above? Jeff, I feel for your need for the 427. Do you know the actual displacement is much closer to 428? Somehow, I just cannot see Chevy advertising a new performance "428" engine and obviously they cannot either so they rounded down the numbers.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
My wife noticed the wheels right off! I have seen them somewhere. Can we get info. on them? I love the colors on the bronze and blue. They have really done an amazingly great job on these. How much will they cost when they are done? Will they be up for auction or what? :confused

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Looks like I'll be taking my camera to the Brickyard, They look great, I feel another paint job coming on..

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Two-tones will have an accent stripe

Danko said:
Marc, Will the '06 two-tones have a stripe where the colors meet as shown on the SSR's above?
Yes they will definately have a stripe. I have heard that the stripe might be in an accent color. :cool

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Found This while Googling....

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dcastalley/gral400brpac.html

Limited Edition!!!
ONLY 5000 PRODUCED!!!

On August 7th, 2005, Chevrolet will return to Indy to pace the first Allstate 400 @ The Brickyard. To commemorate the event's new name, Chevrolet will use a special schemed SSR with a bronze and blue finish.

Item is produced using the Johnny Lightning Chevrolet SSR casting!

Features Include: Diecast body and chassis
Real rubber tires
Special edition Allstate 400 blister pack

1:64 Scale (Approx. 3")

GL-18706P$7.99

DieCast Alley
www.diecastalley.com

1-888-269-1600 - Toll Free
1-317-205-9115 - Local (Indianapolis, Indiana)
9:00am - 6:00pm (Central Time), Mon-Fri

Attachments

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
This kind of irritates me...GM makes a great spoiler for the front and terrific wing for the rear, and does not offer these upgrades to their customers? Why? If they want to make some serious money, a lot of us would be very, very interested in purchasing those items. :confused

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Accessories Coming!

cruzned said:
This kind of irritates me...GM makes a great spoiler for the front and terrific wing for the rear, and does not offer these upgrades to their customers? Why? If they want to make some serious money, a lot of us would be very, very interested in purchasing those items. :confused
Ed,
New accessories will be available in the near future. :jester

GM has big plans for their accessories market thus they will be coming out with many more things for us to buy. :) HINT HINT --> 07 MY will have many new cool accessories that we all might want to purchase for our SSRs.

One thing for sure... is Chevrolet wants is to have accessories that we all will want and also be able to retro fit them onto earlier years too!!!! :thumbs

V

·
0 Posts
Design

Chin spoiler: A+

Rear spoiler: B

Running boards: haven't made my mind up.

The funtional state of having that rolled edge right there might be problematic but it looks REALLY slick. That color combo looks better than the shelf Rebel painted.

Vaquero

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
That is great news. :thumbs (HINT) There will be an 07MY with lots of good accessories that we can add on to.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts