Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that Budnik made these wheels for the 2007 Chevy SSR prototype. Here is the response from Jason Swain at Budnik
([email protected]).

The 19's would be $ 820 each

The 20's $ 890 per wheel

That wheel design is called the Flare.

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
That wheel looks great, but it would have required significant hub modifications in order to accommodate a 6 bolt hub.

I had some very similar wheels custom built by Colorado Custom back in early 05, and had to compromise on the design to get them built because of the 6 bolt hub.

First photo is the prototype at SEMA. That design never went into production.

Second photo is with the modified 6 bolt hub.

Attachments

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
43,660 Posts
2007 Concept Pictures.

Attachments

·
Tech Support/Research
1,667 Posts
Liked those wheels too... but I actually liked the special edition SONY & ALLSTATE SSR wheels a bit better! :)
The wheels used on the Pace Trucks are HRE Style 647, discontinued several years ago. An HRE representative told me that approximately ten sets were made in the Chevy SSR sizes of 19"/20" during the entire production run.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
The wheels used on the Pace Trucks are HRE Style 647, discontinued several years ago. An HRE representative told me that approximately ten sets were made in the Chevy SSR sizes of 19"/20" during the entire production run.
The HRE was a great looking wheel, but horrendously expensive. I think they were about triple the price of billet one piece wheels, over 12k per set. The three piece design is pricey, and I would find the many allen head bolts frustrating to keep clean.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Liked those wheels too... but I actually liked the special edition SONY & ALLSTATE SSR wheels a bit better! :)
Agree with you Marc ... I actually like all wheels as long as they're not Black. I don't think Black rims do a thing or enhance the looks of an SSR ... 2 exceptions maybe, Smokin' Asphalt and Ricochet Silver actually look OK on some. Just my opinion. 10 uh Se' cozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
Personally, I much prefer the look of the stock wheels we currently enjoy.
I'm on the other end of the spectrum on the factory wheels. When I ordered my 06 I ordered it with satin wheels even though it was fully optioned, including chrome package, because I knew they were coming off as soon as the truck arrived, and I wasn't willing to waste the extra cost of them in chrome.

Chrome wheels of any kind are problematic. If you scratch or bruise them, they are not repairable short of a complete stripping, repair, and rechrome. A polished aluminum wheel can be easily and invisibly repaired,(unless they clearcoat the damned things) even if you need to re-weld an edge to fill in a gouged area. A painted wheel allows you to repair and repaint.

Where I think GM designers totally missed the mark with the factory wheel was by not taking advantage of the unique 19/20 sizes, and not highlighting the fact the rear wheels were 2" wider than the fronts.

The big/little narrow/wide look is a prime feature of street rods, and GM managed to completely mask that fact. If they had used the same spoke design front and rear, and had 2" more lip on the rears they could have looked much better. By curving the rear spokes from the outside edge of the hoop to the same point at the hub, they managed to bury the different offsets.

My other disappointment with the stock wheel is the HUGE hub diameter. It unnecessarily hides 3/4 of the brake calipers, which can look really nice if they're cleaned up and featured, or replaced with high performance brake systems.

Oh yeah - and I hate plastic caps.:surprise:

Reactions: Marc NY

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way, I forgot to mention that the price quoted was for Satin Wheels.
I'm not a Chrome fan.
He did indicate that they would make any of their wheels for the SSR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts