Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a fantastic amount of information on the dynamics of changing to the 3.73 Rear Axle but if I may I need to ask a few simple questions.
1. Will the change void any warranties?
2. Is it just a ring gear change that will not change the posi-traction abilities of the factory rear end?
3. Do you also have to reprogram anything like the speedo for the change and if so how.
4. How much does it change the fuel economy. (under normal conditions of which none of us drive)
5. About how much will it cost?
6. Last but not least can an 04 then burn rubber from a standing stop without power braking?

Sorry to be a pain. :cool :cool

·
Registered
590 Posts
Axle Change

Search JimGnitecki's threads, don't get him started on another :yawn

Just kidding Jim :glol

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
Hey, Coe

Are you going to be in Summerland for the Blossom run??? Planning to be at their Show and Shine.

Ray

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi Flassh

Can't make Summerland,Vintage Car Tour is here May 23rd and hope to do the Cloverdale Swap Meet 27and 28th, then Williams Lake Show and Shine on the 29th on the way home.

George

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Subman576:

1. Will the change void any warranties? Only if the problem for whic you are seeking warranty service can be proven by the dealer or manufacturer to have been caused specifically by the gear change.

2. Is it just a ring gear change that will not change the posi-traction abilities of the factory rear end? Correct. No impact on the Torsen locking differential.

3. Do you also have to reprogram anything like the speedo for the change and if so how. The SSR's onboard computer has a variable field in it for axle ratio. You can access it via either a professional Tuner like LS Edit or HP Tuner, or via a microtuner llike the Predator, Superchips, or Crane. You change ONE field, and the computer does the rest automatically/

4. How much does it change the fuel economy. (under normal conditions of which none of us drive) It reduces fuel mileage at 60 mph by 7.4%.

5. About how much will it cost? It cost me $850 at one of Atlanta's best speed shops.

6. Last but not least can an 04 then burn rubber from a standing stop without power braking? I don't know. I try to AVOID burning rubber, as it is both hard on the drivetrain AND gives slower acceleration results. You want to be on the VERGE of losing traction, for best acceleration. I never preload the driveline, and I apply the throttle in a "quick but controlled" motion, rather than a sudden stomp, when doing my instrumented testing. With my 4.56 axle, HP Tuner dyno tune, and 6000 rpm shift points (currently selected manually since not yet reprogrammed for 6000 versus the stock 5600), I get 0 to 60 in a very CONSISTENT 6.5 seconds, without abusing my drivetrain, and that's with a higher than average weight driver AND 14 or 15 gallons of fuel aboard, NOT with a 160 lb driver and 2 gallons.

Sorry to be a pain. No pain. Glad to help.

Jim G

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jim. I may give it a try. :cool :cool

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
The rear axle parts are not sold by car model, but rather by axle part number. Your vendor will know what to order once he sees the axle.

Jim G

1 - 8 of 8 Posts