Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Three? OK.

First, I lived on a ranch/farm when I was a kid. My father was a WWII aircraft mechanic who cold build anything. I still have a tractor that he built when he was young. One piece at a time. Totally hand made. I have parts of an air boat and 4FW that he built. Unfortunately not complete. So when I was young I worked on equipment, not cars to race. His tractor is one of my most prized items.

That being said the three I would probably pick would be in reverse order:

1965 Mustang 2+2 4 spd, single point with Rally Pack. I still have. Hopefully my grandson will get it up and running. I drove it to college my senior year.

1955 Ford T-Bird. 3 speed which I changed to 3 speed OD. Wide whites, finder skirts etc.. Still have. Needs new gas and battery and tires. We could probably be driving it in a couple of days. My college roommates had a '58 and a '63 Corvettes. We went together and bought a '62 Ford 4 door so that we would have something that would haul more people. The '63 got wrecked when he hit a person passed out drunk on the highway one night. The other still has the '58. The most paid for any of them was about $3,000. Insurance went up my senior year in college so I bought the '65.

Then it would probably 1942 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe. Although the "Ronsons" were not near as attractive as the 40's they are very rare as few '42s made it to the civilian market. My grandparents bought new just before WWII in the fall of '41. My parents took it on their honeymoon in 1946. My father sold it to his friend who was a gunsmith and a retired Marine enlisted man in the 1980's when my father became ill. There was a gentleman's agreement if the fellow decided to sell it our family could buy. In 2015 he called and said he had cancer and would not sell to anyone else if we wanted it. I bought it back. He come to visit it a couple of times before he passed. Both we good veterans and men of their word. I have it near and drive it when I can. It is in great shape.

Dave

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
1,683 Posts
Three? OK.

First, I lived on a ranch/farm when I was a kid. My father was a WWII aircraft mechanic who cold build anything. I still have a tractor that he built when he was young. One piece at a time. Totally hand made. I have parts of an air boat and 4FW that he built. Unfortunately not complete. So when I was young I worked on equipment, not cars to race. His tractor is one of my most prized items.

That being said the three I would probably pick would be in reverse order:

1965 Mustang 2+2 4 spd, single point with Rally Pack. I still have. Hopefully my grandson will get it up and running. I drove it to college my senior year.

1955 Ford T-Bird. 3 speed which I changed to 3 speed OD. Wide whites, finder skirts etc.. Still have. Needs new gas and battery and tires. We could probably be driving it in a couple of days. My college roommates had a '58 and a '63 Corvettes. We went together and bought a '62 Ford 4 door so that we would have something that would haul more people. The '63 got wrecked when he hit a person passed out drunk on the highway one night. The other still has the '58. The most paid for any of them was about $3,000. Insurance went up my senior year in college so I bought the '65.

Then it would probably 1942 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe. Although the "Ronsons" were not near as attractive as the 40's they are very rare as few '42s made it to the civilian market. My grandparents bought new just before WWII in the fall of '41. My parents took it on their honeymoon in 1946. My father sold it to his friend who was a gunsmith and a retired Marine enlisted man in the 1980's when my father became ill. There was a gentleman's agreement if the fellow decided to sell it our family could buy. In 2015 he called and said he had cancer and would not sell to anyone else if we wanted it. I bought it back. He come to visit it a couple of times before he passed. Both we good veterans and men of their word. I have it near and drive it when I can. It is in great shape.

Dave
Good story!

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
1970 Oldsmobile " Rallye 350 " Cutlass S. New Wifes' favorite Color was Yellow. Bought it in Shreveport, La. off the Showroom floor. One day, I will find one as loaded as that one was.
1980 Mercury Sable Station Wagon, loved the body style, but a " Station Wagon" ?
1972 Z28 Camaro. Thing was fast but not a Family Car. Shipped to Japan when transferred, sold it there for three times what I paid.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts