Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a 24K mile service done on my SSR and some of the 30K service work as well, since I was in between the two milagae wise. They recommended the Bilstein Engine flush and transmission flush as well. I went with the engine flush and put the tranny flush off till the next oil change. I noticed they did not do a wheel bearing pack either and that that was optional. Would some of you who are more mechanically inclined than myself be so kind as to tell me if the flushing of the engine and the tranny are really needed or are they just fluff to get extra $$$ from the customers? Should I get the wheel bearings packed next time too? I think it would be a great service if we could set up on this site the services that need to be done for real instead of the ones in the service pamphlet at the dealer. My manual looks a whole lot different than the maintenance guide at my dealership. :thumbs

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ed,

I think you would be wasting your money. It seems way early for any of this stuff, especially the wheel bearings. I've had bad luck with getting wheel bearings repacked, as they seem to always put in too much grease. Don't mess with the wheel bearings unless you have been doing some sort of extensive off-road driving (very dirty?), and get them carefully hand packed if you feel its really necessary.

What is an engine flush? Is this replacing the coolant? :skep

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
http://www.redwoodgeneral.com/flush.htm
In answer to your question, click on the link. It made sense to me so I went with it. Anything to keep "Black Betty" purrin like a kitten for a long time. :thumbs

and this:
CONCLUSIONS AND SUMMARY
Krupp Binstein is very pleased to announce that the test results regarding the Bilstein R-2000 engine oil flush system overwhelmingly show positive benefits for engine wear, performance and emission. Wear elements were reduced by as much as 33 - 1005 over and above a standard oil change. Miles per gallon, horsepower and torque all showed a significant increase that ultimately improved engine performance. And, four major exhaust emissions were reduced due to improved engine efficiency.

This easy-to-use system uses patented solutions and adapters to dissolve accumulations of sludge, tar, varnish and wear metals. As a result, your customers will benefit from better performance, superior fuel economy and a longer engine life.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Service issues

Cruzned,
If you use a high quality oil, changed oil at regular intervals, I feel a flush is not necessary. There should be no accumulation of sludge, tar, varnish, wear metals, etc.

As for the wheel bearings; I have not looked at the hub on this vehicle, but alot of vehicles are using "sealed bearings". Wheel bearings are not re-packed if they are sealed bearings.

Can someone with a SSR chassis service manual look at the wheel bearing configuration to see if these are sealed bearings?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Ed, while the engine flush didn't hurt anything with the low miles on your truck GM does not recommend engine flushes or trans flushes, but we do do trans flushes here in my shop but only on high mileage trans (80,000 miles or more) and i have seen it help shift quality but unless you are having trans problems all would do is replace the tans filter.
I have also seen what can happen to an engine that has been flushed and it isn't good. If the engine has sludge built up it will knock it loose and then plug up oil holes. I have seen engines with 150,000 miles that have had regular oil changes and they are spotless inside.
As far as wheel bearing service I would like to see someone try and pack them as they are seal and can't be packed.
:seeya

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.