Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fanatics
I know that most of you guys and gals are Chevy people, but I do know a few of you currently and previously have have ford vehicles.
I have always like what the 1932 Ford V8 has done for motoring culture . It’s part of car history.
I am interested in these, not sure if I will ever get to purchase one, but what are the pros and cons of these unique vehicles ?
Looking for some guidelines please
Ireland SSR
R

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
Of a Deuce. These are great cars. Of course they are the consumment blank slate for street rods. Depending on the body style of course they were the most widely used and IMO the best.

I don't know the pros and cons as I never have been around a stock one. I own a couple of Model A's but never the Model B.

It is my opinion that the Fords owned the hod rod culture into the late 50's. And for good reason. If you compare those vehicles to the what is now GM's of the 30's and 40's they were superior in styling by far. The Deuces, the barrel noses, and certainly the 39's and 40's and early 50's lead sleds. The 'tri-fives' changed that along with the hemi's.

IMO.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
If you can get a nice AB engine they are sweet. The flatheads sounded like a sewing machine.

I take that back from previous. I forgot do have a '32 what is now a pickup back at the farm.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Fanatics
I know that most of you guys and gals are Chevy people, but I do know a few of you currently and previously have have ford vehicles.
I have always like what the 1932 Ford V8 has done for motoring culture . It’s part of car history.
I am interested in these, not sure if I will ever get to purchase one, but what are the pros and cons of these unique vehicles ?
Looking for some guidelines please
Ireland SSR
R
(y)

I'm not a Ford guy either, but I do recognize that the '32 was one of the most popular old cars of that time. Personally, when it comes to old Fords........I prefer the '34 model.

Here is another

But what ever, there used to be companies like Outlaw and others that made beautiful replica bodies of '32 and '34 Fords. If you Google them, you will find some.

Here is one that I just found............http://dearborndeuce32.com/home.html

·
Tech Support/Research
1,702 Posts
The Deuce has been recognized as iconic for decades. Here's one article published on its 70th anniversary.

There were numerous tributes during its 75th anniversary in 2007 that can be found in any search engine ("1932 ford 75th anniversary"), and several books that can be used for reference. Here's one link:

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,161 Posts
A 32 Ford is an iconic car. If I had the chance to own one I would do it even if just to be able to say I owned it. I would have a hot rod with a small block Chevy and not a flat head but that's just me. The only con to one is they have very little protection in an accident.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Check out the November issue of Hagerty Drivers Club magazine if you can find one. It's dedicated to Hot Rods and the '32 Ford is the subject of several articles.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
Great choice for a classic!
Parts availability for those is better than our SSRs!
The flathead V8 is a bulletproof motor and has lots of potential for performance upgrades and a very unique sound.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Love the duces
IMHO real gear heads appreciate all things bad a.. and do not limit their tastes to a specific brand or style!

·
Super Moderator
13,980 Posts
I haven't read any of the above posts other than the ridiculous "Don't buy a Ford" by Cap't Don
Get a grip - the Ford Flathead IMO is secondary to only the 426 Hemi and the 409 in gorgeous appearance
Two of my first great cars were a 57 Ford 2 DR post and a 28 Ford Roadster Pickup with a flathead

Anything in the 32-37 Ford/Chevy is classic - who gives a crap whether it is Ford or Chev - or Dodge - so many cars - I love so many of them.
If I had a choice, I would be a Ferrari man, but still hold my heart out for the Ford/Chevy/Dodge history

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
I have some Fords. '32 Coupe that was converted to a pickup. A '40 Mercury two door. A '42 Ford Super Deluxe. A '53 pickup. A '55 Thunderbird. A number of 65 & 66 Mustangs. I think that about covers it.

Up until the '55 Thunderbird they were all superior to Chevy's. That turned in '55.

IMO

Dave

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
508 Posts
I have some Fords. '32 Coupe that was converted to a pickup. A '40 Mercury two door. A '42 Ford Super Deluxe. A '53 pickup. A '55 Thunderbird. A number of 65 & 66 Mustangs. I think that about covers it.

Up until the '55 Thunderbird they were all superior to Chevy's. That turned in '55.

IMO

Dave
I think we must define superiority. I do think Ford possibly superior by some accounts in the '30s up until maybe about '53 actually when Chevy went to one piece windshields and began to upgrade interiors and new styling cues culminated in '55 with the small block! However remember the "Cast Iron Wonder" six cylinder engine for the price of a four as it was advertised when introduced in 1929 and went on to power a lot of cars and trucks for the next 25 years reliably if not speedily. Certainly not in the class of the Flathead Ford V8, but there were a lot of hop up parts available to quicken them up as well.
$.02

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
I haven't read any of the above posts other than the ridiculous "Don't buy a Ford" by Cap't Don
Get a grip - the Ford Flathead IMO is secondary to only the 426 Hemi and the 409 in gorgeous appearance
Two of my first great cars were a 57 Ford 2 DR post and a 28 Ford Roadster Pickup with a flathead

Anything in the 32-37 Ford/Chevy is classic - who gives a crap whether it is Ford or Chev - or Dodge - so many cars - I love so many of them.
If I had a choice, I would be a Ferrari man, but still hold my heart out for the Ford/Chevy/Dodge history
:rolleyes:

All three brands made their contributions............Thanks I believe to Mopar.......they were one of the first to go to "juice" brakes.............slid my way thru more than one intersection with a damn Model A and mechanical brakes.:oops: But over the years clear thru the 70's and beyond, the Mopar interiors were second class compared. I give them big Kudos.............for their drive train. Engine/trans/rear ends were pretty bullet proof.

Maybe Fords beat out Chevys in doing away with any wood in their construction. My '39 Chevy had very little wood anywhere. By the way..............there was indeed for a couple of years a V8 from Chevy back in the late teens or early 20's..........I'd have to google it to nail it down.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
508 Posts
:rolleyes:

All three brands made their contributions............Thanks I believe to Mopar.......they were one of the first to go to "juice" brakes.............slid my way thru more than one intersection with a damn Model A and mechanical brakes.:oops: But over the years clear thru the 70's and beyond, the Mopar interiors were second class compared. I give them big Kudos.............for their drive train. Engine/trans/rear ends were pretty bullet proof.

Maybe Fords beat out Chevys in doing away with any wood in their construction. My '39 Chevy had very little wood anywhere. By the way..............there was indeed for a couple of years a V8 from Chevy back in the late teens or early 20's..........I'd have to google it to nail it down.:unsure:
Funny to hear someone familiar with the 1918 Chevrolet V8! It was a one year deal & I've not ever heard of one still in existence, much less running. Seems like there was another short lived Chevy engine long ago made of fabricated plate, but they leaked water & were all replaced with cast units. If anyone has any info on that please expand our knowledge. It was '36 & '37 that Chevy went to all steel. Below from the internet:
1936 was the first year for the Chevrolet line to offer a steel structured body with steel structured doors. These were available ONLY in the Standard line of cars. The 1936 Masters and 1936 Pickups were still wood structured with wood structured doors. 1937 the entire line shifted to the new style of construction.

·
Registered
2006 Aqua Blur, auto
28 Posts
Great classic cars are great no matter what badge they wear, and a '32 Ford is definitely a classic. Nothing could match a Ford V8 in that day. I've read that Bonnie and Clyde only stole V8 Fords because nothing on the road could catch them. When I was really young, an uncle drove a '32 pickup. I remember the bed was tiny. I wonder if it was even as big as the SSR bed...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts