Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Great classic cars are great no matter what badge they wear, and a '32 Ford is definitely a classic. Nothing could match a Ford V8 in that day. I've read that Bonnie and Clyde only stole V8 Fords because nothing on the road could catch them. When I was really young, an uncle drove a '32 pickup. I remember the bed was tiny. I wonder if it was even as big as the SSR bed...
:unsure:
I'd venture to say the bed was shorter than the SSR bed a bit. Note the top picture here which to me appears to be a Model A..........Not much of a bed in length.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Great classic cars are great no matter what badge they wear, and a '32 Ford is definitely a classic. Nothing could match a Ford V8 in that day. I've read that Bonnie and Clyde only stole V8 Fords because nothing on the road could catch them. When I was really young, an uncle drove a '32 pickup. I remember the bed was tiny. I wonder if it was even as big as the SSR bed...
I hate to disagree, but the V12 in the LIncoln four door convertible would. Hot rod LIncoln. How much I wish I still had that one.

The bed was deeper on the PU. I think it is narrower and probably though.

Dave

·
Registered
2006 Aqua Blur, auto
29 Posts
I hate to disagree, but the V12 in the LIncoln four door convertible would. Hot rod LIncoln. How much I wish I still had that one.

The bed was deeper on the PU. I think it is narrower and probably though.

Dave
You have a point about the V12 Lincoln, though I doubt outlaws would have ever stolen a vehicle if they waited to find one of these. Lol... I believe this was basically a flat head V8 with a couple more cylinders stuck to each side.

According to Hot Rod magazine, "from 1928 through the first half of 1931 Model A beds were 56-1/2 inches long and 40-3/4 wide. In May 1931 a larger 61-inch-long, 46-inch-wide bed was introduced, and in 1932 those dimensions grew to 65-1/2 inches long by 46 inches wide." I believe the SSR bed is approximately 40" x 48", slightly smaller than the Model A bed.

I think some of the perception of size comes from the lower stance and wider fenders on the SSR. The differences really stand out in one of the most fabulous hot rod builds I've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
You have a point about the V12 Lincoln, though I doubt outlaws would have ever stolen a vehicle if they waited to find one of these. Lol... I believe this was basically a flat head V8 with a couple more cylinders stuck to each side.

According to Hot Rod magazine, "from 1928 through the first half of 1931 Model A beds were 56-1/2 inches long and 40-3/4 wide. In May 1931 a larger 61-inch-long, 46-inch-wide bed was introduced, and in 1932 those dimensions grew to 65-1/2 inches long by 46 inches wide." I believe the SSR bed is approximately 40" x 48", slightly smaller than the Model A bed.

I think some of the perception of size comes from the lower stance and wider fenders on the SSR. The differences really stand out in one of the most fabulous hot rod builds I've ever seen.
:sneaky:

Here is a close up pic of one of those V12 Lincolns.........

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,914 Posts
:rolleyes:
Ever heard of chaps..............I have a fine pair. But wish I did, but no I don't have this V12 ride.;)
Yes, along with a cowboy hat and boots, but that doesn't mean I want to wear them. As long as you're not stopped in traffic, the heat would probably be bearable. If I ever ended up with a motorcycle like that I'd make some sort of heat shield to lessen the barbeque effect.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Yes, along with a cowboy hat and boots, but that doesn't mean I want to wear them. As long as you're not stopped in traffic, the heat would probably be bearable. If I ever ended up with a motorcycle like that I'd make some sort of heat shield to lessen the barbeque effect.

Dave
:)
OK, I get your point. but your response makes me think that just maybe you haven't done much riding on a air cooled bike like a Harley, etc. Usually, a rider wears motorcycle boots. Those boots go up about mid calf. Then (if need be), chaps can solve the rest of a very heated exhaust in low speed and/or stopped traffic conditions.

Many riders endure some very extreme (uncomfortable) scenarios..........just to be cool and/or look cool.......although they may be hot.:oops:

Examples would be.........extreme (Ape Hangers) where the riders arms are angled upward to reach the handle grips. Hard tail bikes with no rear suspension.............Jar your teeth out.........but hey.......looking cool. Running with zero/zip mufflers and a straight open exhaust. Rapping the throttle........while at a stop light. Thinking they look cool............but really are not.(n)

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,914 Posts
:)
OK, I get your point. but your response makes me think that just maybe you haven't done much riding on a air cooled bike like a Harley, etc. Usually, a rider wears motorcycle boots. Those boots go up about mid calf. Then (if need be), chaps can solve the rest of a very heated exhaust in low speed and/or stopped traffic conditions.

Many riders endure some very extreme (uncomfortable) scenarios..........just to be cool and/or look cool.......although they may be hot.:oops:

Examples would be.........extreme (Ape Hangers) where the riders arms are angled upward to reach the handle grips. Hard tail bikes with no rear suspension.............Jar your teeth out.........but hey.......looking cool. Running with zero/zip mufflers and a straight open exhaust. Rapping the throttle........while at a stop light. Thinking they look cool............but really are not.(n)
Actually that's all I've ever ridden. I started out on a Cushman scooter, a Honda 305, a Triumph, a BSA a couple of Harleys and now have a 1400 V-twin Moto Guzzi California. I agree, boots are pretty much mandatory if you value your feet and lower leg. My Harleys would cook your upper thighs if you got caught up in traffic but I think the newer models have a shield to help minimize the heat on your upper leg.

Dave

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
This is my '32 with Big Block Chevy motor - fun cars, the epitome of a Hot Rod. I always tell people to think of it as stiletto heels - looks great, but don't expect comfort for long road trips, etc. I can do 100 miles at a time in mine before I feel like my kidneys are relocating. You could build a more user-friendly suspension - you'd probably want full fenders for that. Own one if you get the chance.

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts