Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. optional volt guage stuck at 16
2. Ash tray latch broken
3. Glove compartment loose
4. runs commonly between 210 and 230 degrees ( well documented )
 

·
Machell
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
1 Volt? Someone mentioned it!!!!
2 Ashtray? No
3 Glove box? I think I remember someone saying the latch can or should be adjusted, some were talking about having to slam it shut.
4 check your fan! Is it running? Does your A/C run warm and cold? You should get it checked before the long drive to Texas, it isn't any cooler here :lol

BTW I heard this on the news today, if you car is overheating you should turn on the heat,(roll your windows down first)
This is supposed to take the heat off the engine!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,252 Posts
As long as it doesn't get over 235 in traffic, it's running the way it was designed. If you turn on the air and push in the recirculating button it should stay at about 210.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
BUDDYWHITE said:
1. optional volt guage stuck at 16
2. Ash tray latch broken
3. Glove compartment loose
4. runs commonly between 210 and 230 degrees ( well documented )

2) my ash tray wouldn't latch one day and I thought it was broken. But I wound up pulling the assembly a little forward with my hand (just a little mind you) and it has worked ever since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,454 Posts
Mine has always run at 210-230 degrees. No probs. yet in that area, but when it sits in traffic, she gets really hot and I have to turn on the AC one notch to cool her off (it turns on the fan).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Hey wildcat66,
On the old cars turning on the heat would draw cool air threw the heater core. Which brings down the temp.

On todays new cars its not the case. When you do turn on the heat it dose draw air over the heater core but it also kicks on the a/c compressor to pump moisture air and not dry heated air into the cabin. Which loads the engine. Test for yourself.
See if the temp gose down with the heater on...should stay the same temp.

Anyone can corrcet me if Im wrong.

I have some of the same problems with my 03: at 27,700 miles

1. Optional volt guage sometimes sticks at 16
2. Ash tray latch is broken (not by me) ;)
3. Glove compartment adjusted to close correctly. Do not slam :banghead
4. 2 radiator fans replaced and thermostat
5. Stuck Radiator vent cap = collaped hose. Cleaned cap myself.
6. Windows not gapping when doors opening. Reset myself.
7. Right side cup holder on console broken. Again not by me.
8. 6 CD Radio just replaced.

Keep in mind Im the 2nd owner and some of this stuff was on the GM service history report.

Am I bitter? NOPE ! It still looks and smells new.

And the purchase price was to good to pass up !!! :party

Cheers !
Pretzel~
 

·
Machell
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
Well I figured it was for older cars but I was just passing on this info. You know the saying
Believe half of what you see
and none of what you hear! :lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, I am extremely happy with it. These are just little things. I refuse to have Vann Chevrolet in Scottsdale touch it again. I will get the warranty work done in DFW area when I get there.

I have a new car every year for the last 15 years. I will be keeping this one for a while. Couldn't be happier.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
Good Service

Hey Bud
Try Heard Chev in South Scotsdale. They are very good and know what they are doing.
:flag
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,783 Posts
Free Advice..

wildcat66 said:
Well I figured it was for older cars but I was just passing on this info. You know the saying
Believe half of what you see
and none of what you hear! :lol
And always remember the other saying, "Free advice is worth what you pay for it". :glol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Worked for Me

wildcat66 said:
1 Volt? Someone mentioned it!!!!
2 Ashtray? No
3 Glove box? I think I remember someone saying the latch can or should be adjusted, some were talking about having to slam it shut.
4 check your fan! Is it running? Does your A/C run warm and cold? You should get it checked before the long drive to Texas, it isn't any cooler here :lol

BTW I heard this on the news today, if you car is overheating you should turn on the heat,(roll your windows down first)
This is supposed to take the heat off the engine!

Wildcat,

It worked for me. After the Corona event in Southern California I was driving home and got stuck on the freeway for hours. The temperature was not bad, only 95 degrees Fahrenheit. In addition, traffic was moving but very slowly and for a very long time (hours seemed like days). For the first time ever I noticed that my temperature gauge was at 235 degrees Fahrenheit and was going up. The vehicle only has 2650 miles on it. The temperature gauge got to approximately 250 degrees Fahrenheit and was on it's way to overheating. I turned on the heater full blast and it brought the heat back down to 235 degrees Fahrenheit. Kept the heater on and it brought the gauge down to 220 degrees Fahrenheit. I also noticed that the transmission temperature gauge got up to 260 degrees Fahrenheit. I always thought this vehicle was hot stuff, but its really hot stuff :banghead

Anyway as soon as traffic broke loose and I could travel at normal speeds the temperature returned to about 210 degrees Fahrenheit and stayed there until I got home.

I took it to the dealer this week and after having it for a couple of days he said the he could not duplicate the condition, even though he took it for a (20) mile test drive (Yeah, he just wanted a chance to cruise in that baby-can you blame him?)The most he got it up to was 235 degrees Fahrenheit. However, he said that he discussed it with is management and they were going to replace the fan. They also are going to replace my spinning wheel cap with a new cap. Interestingly enough they said that if replacing the cap with a new cap didn't work then they were going to try applying duct tape to the area (that is the GM recommended repair). I also noticed that the mat in the bottom of the roof storage area is torn. The tears appear to be from the roof sitting on the mat. Does anyone else have this? I talked to the dealer about replacing it and they are looking into it.

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
I've had the mat in the bottom of the roof storage area replaced.
The new one is getting cut into as well. I might have to stick a small rubber matt there to prevent it. This is one of the things that I heard was mentioned at the Lansing Crafte Center that they didn't seem to know about, but I don't have the whole story on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Thanks looking4,
After I read your post I went and checked my mat and both L/R sides had deep cuts in them.
proly wait till close to end of warranty and have that replaced too. :smash

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
Pretzel said:
Thanks looking4,
After I read your post I went and checked my mat and both L/R sides had deep cuts in them.
proly wait till close to end of warranty and have that replaced too. :smash

Cheers!

You probably would want them replaced before you cut all the way through the mat. The metal to metal contact would damage your top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
ECurtis said:
Wildcat,

............I also noticed that the mat in the bottom of the roof storage area is torn. The tears appear to be from the roof sitting on the mat. Does anyone else have this? I talked to the dealer about replacing it and they are looking into it.

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr

Everyone,

I've developed a solution.

Get the mat replaced.

Never lower the top all the way to the bottom :glol :glol :glol :glol


:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr
 

·
Boop Op A Doop
Joined
·
30,422 Posts
looking4_an_ssr said:
I've had the mat in the bottom of the roof storage area replaced.
The new one is getting cut into as well. I might have to stick a small rubber matt there to prevent it. This is one of the things that I heard was mentioned at the Lansing Crafte Center that they didn't seem to know about, but I don't have the whole story on that.

This is also happening to mine. I was told in Lansing that there is no fix for this. I was aslo shown that inside of the retractable top there are two square plastic pieces on the right and left side of the of the top. These pieces come unglued and move about causing a large amount of noise when the top is put up or down. The service rep told me to reglue these in place. He said it is a fix for the 06. So anyone with 03 thru 05 may want to check theirs. Another item that was missing off the top was a cone shaped (black) piece where the top and windshield meet. He said these are somtimes taken off when the retractable top is being repaired. Mine was repaired about two weeks before going to Lansing. The Lansing Service Rep fixed this problem for me right there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Talking to the Techs at Homecoming

I talked to the Tech support at Homecoming about the overheating that has been reported.

I always ran at just under 210 degrees but with all the low speed tooling around and then gunning it to stay in a group I noticed my temp go up to about 220-230.

I asked the Tech guys about this and they said not to be concerned. They said the fan for the engine wouldn't even come on at that temp.

They said when the fan does come on you'll know it. It sounds like a jet airplane under the hood. So they said not to worry. If you hear the fan then you getting into the hot range.

I don't know if this is true but that's what they told me.

Carl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Talking to Techs at Homecoming II

I also showed the Techs where there are two rips in the pad at the bottom where the roof retracts into the well and sits in place. You have to stop the roof in its retraction cycle to see where this is happening at the bottom.

They said that they had never seen this before. We went around and checked some other SSRs and most of them also had the same problem. One owner even said he had his replaced by the dealer under warranty and its doing it again.

The Techs said the the roof could be adjusted so it wouldn't go down as far to cut the material. However, I wouldn't trust any dealer to make adjustments to the roof and they understood about the capabilites of dealers.

Actually by the roof sitting lower it should stop any rattles that have been reported. So I'm not going to do anything right now, as everything is quiet. I would just cover the rips with something flexible to absorb the pounding. Maybe a piece of rubber from and old inner tube, glued over the rip. Don't make it too thick to throw off the way the roof sits.

The Techs said they were going to report this at the factory and look into a solution. You want to keep the roof from rattling but not damage it by going too far down. Maybe something will come out in a Tech Bulletin on a fix.

Carl
 

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
Joined
·
9,315 Posts
savilloc said:
They said when the fan does come on you'll know it. It sounds like a jet airplane under the hood. So they said not to worry. If you hear the fan then you getting into the hot range.
I don't know if this is true but that's what they told me.
Carl
I've yet to hear that jet engine under the hood and my :ssr has gotten plenty hot. Fan has already been replaced, use the A/C on recirculate (as suggested) when it is warm out and in stop and go traffic, still didn't keep the temp down when returning from Corona 2 weekends ago...240+ most of the way home :banghead and it wasn't even hot out that day :rolleyes:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top