Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Parts for repair Side Marker Lamp:

Use PLA+ filament, 100% fill, noze 0.4mm.
Printing time 6 minutes.

I can`t upload STL file for printing, also zip(

3d.png photo_2020-05-23_08-59-53 (2).jpg photo_2020-05-23_08-59-53.jpg

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,042 Posts
🤔 I don't understand all that 3D printing stuff but if we can make our own replacement parts with it, I think that's great! Maybe you can help educate us on this process Denis! 😉

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,987 Posts
I thought it was only plastic but saw a program on "How It's Made" that showed them making the plastic molds for castings with 3D printing.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,206 Posts
The only problem with side marker lights is the Chevy Bowtie, not sure you can reproduce without Lawsuit from GM.

We can get marker lights but they do not have Bowtie. Bowtie only on SSR

Roof reservoirs that I make are precision reproduced using 3D Printing. Expensive process.

But they work!

I spend lots of $ and time trying to make/copy the "coffee cup" reservoir to no avail, until I used 3D printing and machined to OEM dimensions.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Trygodfirst
742 Posts
The only problem with side marker lights is the Chevy Bowtie, not sure you can reproduce without Lawsuit from GM.

We can get marker lights but they do not have Bowtie. Bowtie only on SSR

Roof reservoirs that I make are precision reproduced using 3D Printing. Expensive process.

But they work!

I spend lots of $ and time trying to make/copy the "coffee cup" reservoir to no avail, until I used 3D printing and machined to OEM dimensions.

Dicktator
Amazing

·
Registered
183 Posts
You should be allowed to make one copy for yourself without violating copyright laws. If you sell the copy you are in violation. Posting a file that allows others to make a copy is probably a violation.
That said, it is doubtful Chevy would go after anyone making just a few copies. Your mileage may vary.
If the 3D part is just the "cross" that allows the light to stay put, it might be an "Industry Standard" design and hard to prove a copyright violation.
I am not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV. But I have done a little research on the topic.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,206 Posts
That may have been true but Chevy hasn't been making many cars for the last few months, they may be looking for $$

Dicktator

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
1,929 Posts
I would think at some point that this will be a viable and affordable option as it becomes more common. At some point we, as a group, will need those indespensable parts to keep us on the road like @Dicktator roof pump reservoir when they are absolutely unavailable. So anyone investigating now will be ahead of the curve when the inevitable becomes reality.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should be allowed to make one copy for yourself without violating copyright laws. If you sell the copy you are in violation. Posting a file that allows others to make a copy is probably a violation.
That said, it is doubtful Chevy would go after anyone making just a few copies. Your mileage may vary.
If the 3D part is just the "cross" that allows the light to stay put, it might be an "Industry Standard" design and hard to prove a copyright violation.
I am not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV. But I have done a little research on the topic.
Maybe, but what if GM no longer produces spare parts and does not sell them. I am not a lawyer and I do not know the rights to intellectual property apply to this. But what I plan to publish is not going to sell. You can always take a file and print for your car yourself. I think finding who can print on a 3D printer is not so difficult.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
🤔 I don't understand all that 3D printing stuff but if we can make our own replacement parts with it, I think that's great! Maybe you can help educate us on this process Denis! 😉
3D printing is good in that it allows you to very quickly prototype and produce small-scale projects.

The main thing is to develop a 3D model on the computer (any solidworks program, fusion 360, SketchUp: 3D will do)

Then you need to save the file in a format that you can import into the slicer (program for preparing code for a 3D printer) I use ultimaker cura.

Further subtleties of the slicer settings but everything can be found on the Internet, if you order printing, then they know what to do.

It is also important to choose the right type of filament (plastic for printing) since they have different characteristics.

It is better to use ABS, as it is durable and temperature resistant.

In my case, the main problem is that I do not have some parts on the car and it’s difficult for me to make a 3D model, since I didn’t always understand the original size(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Maybe, but what if GM no longer produces spare parts and does not sell them. I am not a lawyer and I do not know the rights to intellectual property apply to this. But what I plan to publish is not going to sell. You can always take a file and print for your car yourself. I think finding who can print on a 3D printer is not so difficult.
My guess is you are in a gray area. If Chevy really wanted to pursue legal action, you could be in a mess They probably have more money and lawyers than you do. To be safe, you could get permission from Chevy (Highly unlikely). You could wait 70 years when copyright runs out.
I would think it would be bad press for Chevy to go after an enthusiast trying to keep a Chevy on the road if you aren't making any money.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My guess is you are in a gray area. If Chevy really wanted to pursue legal action, you could be in a mess They probably have more money and lawyers than you do. To be safe, you could get permission from Chevy (Highly unlikely). You could wait 70 years when copyright runs out.
I would think it would be bad press for Chevy to go after an enthusiast trying to keep a Chevy on the road if you aren't making any money.
Maybe.
I do not sell parts. I repair my car in all ways available to me.
If I can’t buy something that is no longer being produced, can I make it myself, I think so.

I don’t see a difference if I do something on a metal machine in the garage or print at home.

Yes, you're right, I live in a gray zone, where I can’t buy a fuse from a Chevy dealer, since they do not have a vin code for my car in the database)

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,779 Posts
No problem reproducing any parts as long as they don't have a GM or Chevy logo or emblem. Just don't go into mass production and advertise. Many fanatics on this forum are making parts, stickers etc. for our trucks, nobody has been sued.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Maybe.
I do not sell parts. I repair my car in all ways available to me.
If I can’t buy something that is no longer being produced, can I make it myself, I think so.

I don’t see a difference if I do something on a metal machine in the garage or print at home.

Yes, you're right, I live in a gray zone, where I can’t buy a fuse from a Chevy dealer, since they do not have a vin code for my car in the database)
Making parts for yourself is not a problem. You could probably include the Bow tie with no problems. The issue is when you start selling a copyrighted item.
Remember when restaurant were getting sued over singing “Happy Birthday”? It was because they were “making money” from singing. The copyright holder didn’t have a problem with you singing the song to family. You were not making a profit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts