1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Possible contact for body panels????

Space age
Who: 3G Services
What: Designs and fabricates parts of composite materials, does thermo forming, makes plastic injection molds, silicone rubber molds.
Founded: 2002
Where: 12254 Universal Drive, Taylor
Phone: (734) 947-9434 or visit

Company soars with space-age material

3G Services of Taylor creates lightweight carbon parts that help cars, planes go faster.

TAYLOR -- Jobless at age 54, Doug Groh made a decision with his wife, Peggy Groh, that they would bet everything on a start-up company developing and manufacturing products made of space-age composite materials.

That was 2002. Now, 3G Services of Taylor supplies carbon fiber parts to AMG, the German firm that manufactures high-performance versions of Mercedes-Benz models; created parts for two concept cars featured at the 2005 North American International Auto Show and is developing new products using composites not related to the auto industry.

"I was making a very decent wage as director of operations for the advanced products development group of a big engineering company in Troy," Groh recalled. "Then they decided to eliminate everybody in middle management. I looked for jobs, but I wasn't going to be able to make a decent living."

So the Grohs in April 2002 invested their life savings -- $450,000 -- to launch 3G Services. Now the company, located in an industrial park in Taylor has added a third partner, Chris Fahnestock, employs eight workers and recorded sales of $1.5 million in 2004 and Groh projects 2005 sales will top $2 million.

Carbon fiber is a composite of fiberglass cloth reinforced with strands of graphite.

Owing to its high strength combined with light weight, composite materials first appeared in aircraft applications. The new Boeing 787 "Dreamliner" gets 20 percent better fuel mileage than comparable-sized airliners because of its extensive use of carbon fiber.

Composite materials quickly appeared in auto racing applications where lighter weight translates to faster speeds.

The carbon fiber parts 3G fabricated for ASC Inc. of Southgate, Groh said, trimmed 1,000 pounds from the Chevrolet SSR Diamondback concept truck that debuted at this year's Detroit auto show.
Groh's firm also fabricated parts for the Pontiac GTO Stinger concept car, also built by ASC that made its debut at the Detroit show.

The company is fabricating lightweight parts for a hemi-powered 1971 Cuda show car that will be featured in the Primedia exhibit at the 2005 Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association annual trade show in Las Vegas. Primedia is a publisher of auto enthusiast magazines.

The industry news TV show, "Autoline Detroit," filmed a segment at the Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise featuring Patty Kidd. To promote her graphics design firm in Royal Oak, PK Performance, Kidd customized the family 1997 Nissan 240 SX using parts fabricated by 3G Services.

After claiming the best use of carbon fiber trophy at the 2005 Autorama, the hot rod and custom car show held each winter in Cobo Center, Kidd gave the award to Groh.

"They did a wonderful job," Kidd said. "We've got nothing but high praise from everybody who sees our car."

Groh is busy developing new products like a featherweight trailer and hoods and front fascias for 18-wheelers. Reduce the overall weight of a big rig and payload can be increased.

"We've also been looking at nonautomotive products," Groh said. "Everybody has got to start looking at new products. We can't afford to have the auto industry steering our businesses."

3G has come up with a carbon fiber guitar pick guard and is looking at a line of jewelry.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sweet! Sent an email to them to see if they have anything for us regular SSR owners. Would love to have a complete front end in carbon fiber, hood, fenders, front clip. :thumbs

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,120 Posts
Ask my question at the same time please.....

HD-Fatboy,

If this is the group that supplied the carbon fiber stuff for the ASC diamondback, then they probably supplied the carbon fiber chin spoiler for that vehicle too. Will you please inquire on our collective behalf for the possibility of a source of spoiler supply? We have heard that the chin spoiler will be available from GM in 2006 as an accessory, but I expect it will be in plastic. The carbon fiber would be very desireable.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

·
Registered
893 Posts
3g

I have contacted these people direct......and am waiting for information........I now know more info.......about who and what.........will pass it along as soon as am allowed to do so...... :seeya I would like these people to produce the SSR scoop i'v just finished up.......We will see what we will see....

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wildcat66 said:
Wow I can this helping a lot of people!!! Great info.:thumbs
I'm not into changing MY SSR - but I know there's a bunch out there that want to modify theirs - hope this works out...

·
Premium Member
9,356 Posts
A big portion of the weight loss on the Diamondback can be attributed to the carbon fiber roof panel - it eliminates the steel roof panels, and all the hydraulic and mechanical components for the roof.

I don't think I'm ready to give up my retractable roof.

Ray

·
Registered
599 Posts
Geez, I don't know how you got that article, But thanks for the plug. I have been a memeber here for a while. I hope I don't upset the forum administrator for the post. I don't personally know kwhopper , (I think) and don't know how he got the article.
I must say, I do not own the molds for those parts. I was paid by ASC to take parts out of the molds and I actually built only a few of the molds. they built the rest. ASC owns the molds and if anyone is interested in those parts. they should probably contact Marcus McCammon in Southgate , MI.

If I was to do anything, I would have to build molds first.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
doogie48084 said:
Geez, I don't know how you got that article, But thanks for the plug. I
Gotta LOVE the GOOGLE! (It's not just a good investment :rolleyes: )

I've set up mail alerts so that news articles with "SSR" (and recently added: HHR) in the story prompt GOOGLE to shoot me an email. I've gotten the 'scoop' on several newsworthy articles. Hope my post didn't cause too many phone calls! :cool

Todays email sent me to the Detroit news website - I then did a search at that website for "ssr" - found this article:
http://www.detnews.com/2005/nngrosseile/0509/15/R04-312060.htm

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tonystoolroom said:
An SSR that was 1000# lighter, that would be sweet!
That many fewer pounds ALMOST justifies a non-retractable top. :lol

Lighter and more RHP - what a SSR!

Had a nice conversation with Doug from 3G this morning - he explained the carbon fiber process to me and gave me some great background on the Diamondback SSR and ASC and........ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
kwhopper89 said:
That many fewer pounds ALMOST justifies a non-retractable top. :lol

Lighter and more RHP - what a SSR!

Had a nice conversation with Doug from 3G this morning - he explained the carbon fiber process to me and gave me some great background on the Diamondback SSR and ASC and........ :rolleyes:

Are you going to share the details with the rest of too lazy to call Doug? :jester

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are continuing issues with 3G and ASC. I hope I didn't cause Doug any trouble w/ ASC. :confused

BUT, if you all want to see the 3G site - check out: www. 3gservicesinc.com ...

I did ask about the carbon fiber guitar accessories and the CF jewelery. Maybe we can get a CF SSR key fob produced???? ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here is the reply I have gotten back, so, interest is what they need. If I can scrap the hood and tailgate, that would probably drop 200 lbs easy!
-------------------

Don, I have been a member of the forum for a while now. I built some of the molds and all of the carbon fiber panels. We did all of the carbon fiber panels for the SSR Diamondback.

I am available for duiscussion if you can gain enough interest. I may be able to talk ASC into doing some more panels. They currently own all of the molds.
I would be interested in modeling up a new mold and producing the parts if there was enough interest.

Doug Groh
President
3G Services
12254 Universal Drive
Taylor, Michigan
734-947-9434
734-947-9458 Fax
[email protected]
http://www.3gservicesinc.com
----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 8:56 AM
Subject: Body parts

Hello,
One of our members on the SSRfanatic (http://ssrfanatic.com)site
posted some info about your company. I read that your company designed
the parts on the Diamondback SSR. Sweet ride!

Do you have parts available for the Chevy SSR's? If so could I
get a price list or are they all custom per individual? I'd love to have
carbon fiber front fenders, hood and front nose clip. Being the boat
that they are this would drop several pounds.

Thank you for any info that you can send me. Do you have a web
site?

Don F Goodwin
2004 Chevy SSR Redline Red

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,120 Posts
Chin Spoiler

I have contacted Doug Groh on the topic of chin spoilers this morning. He is interested in producing them for us, but needs to work through some design ownership issues before proceeding. There is a good possibility that we may have something workable in the very near future. I am willing to act as a single point of contact and information channel for the forum membership (for this part only). As soon as I get communication back from Doug on the chin spoiler, I'll post an update as a new thread. If you have any questions about the possibility of 3G Services making spoilers for the SSR, please PM me directly.

Regards,

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,120 Posts
2005ssr6speed,

The pace car skirts were also discussed, but just in passing. I will cover the topic with Doug when I speak with him again in the next day or so. Design rights, customer funded NRE (non recurring engineering) investment and PIA's (Proprietary Information Agreements) covering non-disclosure with customers he has built for are stumbling blocks that need to be worked through.

I'm sending you a PM with my phone number.....

Give me a call please.

Mike

P

·
0 Posts
Hi my name is Kelly Withrow. My wife and I own PKPerformance in Berkley MI. 3G Services did some great carbon fiber work on our show vehicle. Doug and his team did great job and in fact out exceeded our goals for the project.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, just wanted to give 3G some public thanks.

Here are a couple of urls to pictures of the work 3G did for us.....

http://pkcustoms.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=cars&id=Picture_4216

http://pkcustoms.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=cars&id=DCP_5720

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the feedback of 3G... Photos look great.

In talking with Doug, I was able to hear the commitment they have for their products - thanks again for the info...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts