Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Redline 2003
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, this month I took my SSR to my local repair shop to get my state inspection renewal done. However the center 3rd brake light was discovered out. And of course here in TX if your car has a center brake light it must work in order to pass inspected. ??
I found a replacement online at Simple Engineering & plan to purchase but I can't figure out how to remove the old one. Can anyone out there help??

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,139 Posts
Fill out some info as to where you are and year of truck that way someone will see where you are and might be able help you. There's a great bunch of Fanatics in Texas that might be able t help you out, it might only be a loose or corroded connection or blown fuse. Id give that a try before buying another one.

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
Hey Guys, this month I took my SSR to my local repair shop to get my state inspection renewal done. However the center 3rd brake light was discovered out. And of course here in TX if your car has a center brake light it must work in order to pass inspected. ??
I found a replacement online at Simple Engineering & plan to purchase but I can't figure out how to remove the old one. Can anyone out there help??
:smile2:
I ordered one from S.E. that "blinks" for a short while when u first apply the brakes. Open the tailgate and access is via an opening on the backside of the tailgate at the latch as I recall. Not a big deal to do.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hey Guys, this month I took my SSR to my local repair shop to get my state inspection renewal done. However, the center 3rd brake light was discovered out. And of course here in TX if your car has a center brake light it must work in order to pass inspected. ??

Here come the Texas R's to the rescue. Let us know where you are and we will try to help.

I keep track of all Texas R's that don't hide behind a cactus. I put out a Newsletter monthly... so email me: [email protected]

Or Call me if you need help 972-814-8805

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,744 Posts
Kenmo1, :agree :agree-----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then when you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,410 Posts

The light has double stick tape on the back side and sits into 2 holes in the tailgate with small extensions that expand to hold it in there in case the tape fails.

Let the tailgate down. Remove the carpet from the tailgate if you have it, just velcro, then remove the bolts along the edge of the black filler panel to gain access to the interior area of the tailgate. Disengage the tailgate handle to remove the entire inner panel if needed but you can probably leave it connected to get to the stop light connector.

Disconnect the connector, then apply some light heat from a hair dryer then try pushing out the light from the backside. If that does not work you might need to use some plastic pry tools or some fishing line (make sure to protect the paint around the light with some tape) to cut through some of the tape on the back of the light so you can push it out properly. Don't forget about the 2 expanding pins on the back, with the light loose you should be able to use one hand to pull the light and the other to squeeze and push from the backside.

When you get the new one you will probably see how things work better. Good luck!

The old one can likely be repaired if there are a few or even all of the LEDs are not lighting up. If you want me to take it apart and see if I can do something with it so you can have a spare in the future feel free to send me a PM. I offer repairs on quite a few failure items on the R.

·
Daily Driver
8,967 Posts
I would check the wiring from under the truck, through the tailgate hinge, and up to the light to make sure it hasn't been disconnected or damaged. No sense in pulling the light if it's not getting power.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,038 Posts
Here come the Texas R's to the rescue. Let us know where you are and we will try to help. ...
Hi Dinerman,

I know this is unsolicited, so feel free to ignore ... but noticed your "Dinerman" image tag in your posts and wondered why you weren't using the "R" from the SSR logo. I went ahead and made one (attached) if you want it.
If not, no worries.
Cheers, Carl Bush

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,139 Posts
So if I am reading this right the Pontiac Solstice 3rd brake light is the exact same light that's used on our R's. if so good to know.

·
Daily Driver
8,967 Posts
If you go to this thread, shiftz33's video in the first post shows the two plastic locating/retention pins that come through to the inside. These have to be released to remove the third brake light.

·
Registered
Redline 2003
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Guys, thanks for all the great info about my 3rd brake light issue it was very helpful. The problem turned out to be just a loose connection, no replacement needed thanks 'xoxoBruce'...
To my fellow Texas SSRFANATIC 'Dinerman' I will be reaching out soon.
Thanks Again
Kenmo1

·
Daily Driver
8,967 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. From what I've seen and read the LEDs are pretty reliable. Many third brake lights I've seen on the road may have one or a couple LEDs out but to have the whole row out would make me suspect the source of power first.

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
Here come the Texas R's to the rescue. Let us know where you are and we will try to help. ...
Hi Dinerman,

I know this is unsolicited, so feel free to ignore ... but noticed your "Dinerman" image tag in your posts and wondered why you weren't using the "R" from the SSR logo. I went ahead and made one (attached) if you want it.
If not, no worries.
Cheers, Carl Bush
Bet that would work with Rogerdoger.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts