Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some advice on how to pull this project together. I have a 2005 SSR and I have bought 4.56 gears, Yank SS 3600 torque converter, and Stainless Works headers and true dual exhaust system.
The problem is how to get this work done. I have a great speed shop in Tampa, Ramsey's Performance, but in order to program the engine and transmission computers I have to remove the computers and sent to Lyndon( Westers) in Canada (or some other tuner like Reece at MTI in Atlanta).
Folks, I have worked for UPS and FedEx for 19 years and I do not want to ship my computers anywhere (1% gets lost or damaged).
Also, it doesn't seem like a good idea to dyno the vehicle right afeter installing the gears (6500 rpm runs with new gears?).
I can't be the only person in this position so I need the advice of my fellow SSR owners on how to get the good stuff installed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If I recall from Jim's book, you can get MTI to flash your EEC on site. Nice road trip from Atlanta. Also, I think Dennis Reinhart can to the tuning as well, and he's just up the road from you in Orange Park.

I wouldn't be worried about a dyno tune right after gear install. It's done all the time in the Marauder/Mark VIII/Mustang world. No problems. I had 4:10's put in my Marauder, then had it immediatelly chipped and dyno tuned. Drove it another 50,000 miles with no problems from the rear end.

And Reinhart can do that as well, as can MTI.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I contact Dennis in Orange Park? I tried Vinic's and they told me that they could not handle it in house.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Wildcat69: 2005ssr6speed just posted the other day that the 3 major tuning software companies are releasing right now the software to tune the CAN-equipped 2005 and 2006 SSRs.

That will enable any shop that has any of these 3 tuning software packages to do the gear ratio field change and all other tuning on your SSR, with the PCM in place, not removed.

You might need to wait just a bit for the shops to upgrade to the newer software.

As for dynoing right after a gear swap, the recommended thing would be to:

- Make the gearing change
- Run the new gearing on the dyno at moderate and varying load for 45 minutes to break in the gears.
- Then do the tuning on the dyno

Wtach the engine temperature doing that 45 minute gear break-in. On an indoor dyno without adequate air movement, it is easy to get the engine pretty hot.

If you are going to Dennis Reinhart's shop, it also makes sense to gt one of his MMC driveshafts at the same time if your budget can still handle that. About $525 I think and minimal install labor. Nice driveshaft. Had mine 3 weeks now. Pleased as punch. Because it is so quiet, I have discovered new sounds elsewhere on the vehicle at cruising speeds!

Jim G

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't know if you are planning

to drive your SSR on the streets or just on the drag strip, but you will not like that 3600 stall torque convertor. In town you cannot "stand on it" and at 3600 rpm, where the convertor locks up, you are moving at a pretty good clip. Too fast for in-town speed limits. Anything below 3600 rpm will realize a LOT of slippage. Your engine will almost sound like it is racing just to keep up with the traffic flow. Fuel consumption will go up accordingly. I let a speed shop talk me into a 3500 stall convertor. After all was done, it cost me $800. I drove it that way for a month and was sick about it. Went back to the speed shop and worked a deal where they reinstalled the stock convertor, sold the 3600 stall to some other poor guy and I got $200! I have to call it "lesson learned".:banghead :cry

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is Dennis's shops name? I am recontacting Yank Performance on the converter. I told them that the SSR was a daily driver. The guy at Yank that I talked to when I ordered said that this was identical to a stock converter at low speeds and performed better at WOT. They may have set me up with the wrong converter!

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Wildcat69: Do not assume they made an error. The converter Yaller Dog was talking about was a cheapie (had to be for the total cost with labor to be only $800).

The Yank stuff is, I'm told, very good. Just ensure that you tell the sales rep TRUTHFULLY exactly how you will be using the vehicle, and what percentage of time in each use.

Jim G

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply, Jim.
Do you have an aftermarket converter?
I sent Yank an e-mail to confirm that I am getting what I asked for: a streetable, well mannered, converter that will help reduce 0-30 times. I will let you know how this turns out. The converter itself was $850.00. I am hoping that with the 4.56 gears, the converter, the headers, dual exhaust and tune that my sluggish SSR will act and sound as good as it looks. I will post the dyno for your review.

Thanks again for your help, Tom

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Wildcat69: I don't have a higher stall converter yet, but the Yank product line is the one I am looking at unless someone brings a better alternative to me.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Wildcat69 - I used a Yank TT3000 in my 2004 Silverado SS and loved it because it performed like stock at light throttle input then when you laid into it, Wow!

I also purchased the Billet Servos, Aluminum Accumulator Piston, HP Clutches, 3/4 Band and Trans-Go Shift Kit. I purchased all these parts from a member on another site called zippy. He has a website now and it is linked below.

http://zippyperformance.com/_wsn/page2.html

·
Registered
374 Posts
Wildcat69 said:
What is Dennis's shops name? I am recontacting Yank Performance on the converter. I told them that the SSR was a daily driver. The guy at Yank that I talked to when I ordered said that this was identical to a stock converter at low speeds and performed better at WOT. They may have set me up with the wrong converter!
Dennis is a member on here. You can PM him

"Dennis Reinhart" is his member name (no quotes)

His shop is Reinhart Performance.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Lesson learned the hard way!

Yaller Dog said:
to drive your SSR on the streets or just on the drag strip, but you will not like that 3600 stall torque convertor. In town you cannot "stand on it" and at 3600 rpm, where the convertor locks up, you are moving at a pretty good clip. Too fast for in-town speed limits. Anything below 3600 rpm will realize a LOT of slippage. Your engine will almost sound like it is racing just to keep up with the traffic flow. Fuel consumption will go up accordingly. I let a speed shop talk me into a 3500 stall convertor. After all was done, it cost me $800. I drove it that way for a month and was sick about it. Went back to the speed shop and worked a deal where they reinstalled the stock convertor, sold the 3600 stall to some other poor guy and I got $200! I have to call it "lesson learned".:banghead :cry
Yaller Dog, man I feel your pain. I hate to learn things that way, but thanks for sharing that. Things like this are what makes this board sucvh a fantastic resource. Thank you again for not being afraid to share a "mistake" in order to save others the same pain.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have confirmed from Yank that the SS3600 is the perfect match for the SSR. It is very well mannered for daily street use and offers big gains 0-30. I will report as soon as I can get a gear install and computer program.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Wildcat69: I would be REALLY interested in analyzing a G-Tech run before and after that converter install. I think it will be VERY interesting.

Jim G

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good idea Jim. I will ask around and see if I can borrow one. Yank is saying no compromise on the driving manners of the vehicle but a 0.4 second improvement on 0-60 (I believe that this converter has a 2.5 multiplier). That seems like a fairly amazing claim. Yank also talked aboout the importance of having the tuner account for the converter in the transmission computer program. I will post as much info as I can provide through the process.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Wildcat69: The 2,5 multiplier sounds high, but low 2s is fairly attainable.

The 0.4 second improvement in 0 to 60 IS possible. This is a mod that sould work PARTICULARLY well with an SSR.

Jim G

·
Registered
254 Posts
Glad to be of help

JOHN317 said:
Yaller Dog, man I feel your pain. I hate to learn things that way, but thanks for sharing that. Things like this are what makes this board sucvh a fantastic resource. Thank you again for not being afraid to share a "mistake" in order to save others the same pain.
If anyone is interested, the brand of the torque convertor that I used and had removed was TCI.:mad

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,102 Posts
Wildcat69 said:
Good idea Jim. I will ask around and see if I can borrow one. Yank is saying no compromise on the driving manners of the vehicle but a 0.4 second improvement on 0-60 (I believe that this converter has a 2.5 multiplier). That seems like a fairly amazing claim. Yank also talked aboout the importance of having the tuner account for the converter in the transmission computer program. I will post as much info as I can provide through the process.
I had an '05 before my '06 and there is a difference in the transmission tuning between the two. The '06 has a igher stall speed converter and the programming was changed to take advantage of it. Most notceable difference is how quickly the '06 unlocks the converter when pressing on the accelerator while at cruisiing speed. The converter unlocks and stays that way for a much longer time than the '05.

The '05 tended to downshift quicker than the '06, but locked up the converter more quickly.

Off the line performance is not much different between the two. Both launched about the same.

I actually think the '06 programming has the converter staying unlocked a little too long, but it is just fine below 40.... mostly because the lockup software is not enabled below 40mph....

my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts