Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one change their rear end gears to 411. I am thing about doing this and would like some input.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gear Change

jims book says a lot about gearing changes for our trucks and explains why he thinks 4.56 are better then 4.11, real good reading with a lot of interesting information in it. well worth the $30.00. burt

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
burt said:
jims book says a lot about gearing changes for our trucks and explains why he thinks 4.56 are better then 4.11, real good reading with a lot of interesting information in it. well worth the $30.00. burt
:agree Great book.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
JImGs book is well worth the $30, plus you'll learn a TON about these trucks.:seeya

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
OEM 4:10s

I have purchased a set of GM OEM 4:10 gears.
Got them from 'Randys Ring and Pinion'.
I made my decision based on 'my' driving habbits and info on 'Randys' website.

Or you could flip a coin:lol

Skip

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I plan to do the 4.10 gears to my SSR eventually. It all depends on your SSR, its intended use and the owners personal preference. With the LS2 and 6 Speed I prefer the ratio at 4.10 due to the way I drive and the speeds I drive. I also plan to run mine on the drag strip the end of March or begining of April and then I will re-evaluate my approach. Right now with the 3.73 Gears I will not reach peak HP in 3rd gear at the end on the quarter, I think the 4.10 gears will put me at peak HP in 3rd gear at the end of the quarter. I am going to run the 3.73 gears down the strip first to see how they feel and report it here.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Joe: I just modeled your SSR in my modeling software, using the numbers that you posted you got from the dyno at Magnacharger.

IF that dyno is properly calibrated, you'll hit 117 mph in the quarter. If it's say 5% high (which would mean 450 hp at peak), you'd still hit 115 mph.

With 3.73 gearing, that's almost precisely 6500 rpm in 3rd gear with the gear ratios found in the 2005 SSR (different than in the 06 SSR).

The 4.11 or 4.56 gearing would have you part of the way trhough 4th gear.

With normal weight distribution of the SSR, the gearing won't make a difference on e.t. since you will have a giant traction problem with the power produced by that blower.

However, IF you could somehow get 80% of the weight on the rear axle through 1st gear, you'd find that the differnce between 4.11 and 4.56 would be 0.22 second from 0 to 60, and also in the quarter mile.

The bigger issue is the incredibly low rpm in 6th gear at highway speeds. At 60 mph for example, the rpm are:

With 3.73 axle: 1284 (awful low, where there is virtually no power on tap)
With 4.11 axle: 1415 (better, but still awfully low)
With 4.56 axle: 1570 (better yet, but till requires a downshift on steep hills and to pass)

Are you SURE you want your highway rpm to be that low?

The gearing on the 06 models is slightly less insane, but still a joke for a street rod.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
JimG - Thanks so much for taking the time to look at the gearing again for me. I dont want to do anything else to the SSR until I get a chance to take it down the strip a few times. We should be having a private track day here late March or early April. Out here the cruise speed on the freeways is about 80-85 MPH and when heading across the desert areas it tools up to about 90MPH. I found on the run to laughlin that the SSR loved cruising between 95-105 MPH on the open desert floor. If you were to go any slower you would get run over out there. I always drive in 5th gear unless doing more then 70 MPH. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
73,978 Posts
burt said:
Where can I get "The Book" ?
I am thinking about the same thing...changing the gears to 4:10's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts